Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Pressure or "feeling" the third eye during DM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bourgo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  07:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

I have begun to notice that after a few minutes of DM I can feel my third eye....or at least I think its my third eye. It is behind the brow in the head.

It feels like a pressure almost and even though it isn't really distracting me, I was just wondering what that might be?

Thanks!

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  09:37:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bourgo,

found some posts that mention it in the topic http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=9516#9516
I experience light but definite pressure at ajna or third eye but almost always during spinal breathing pranayama when eyes are gently in sambhavi, and often but not always in DM. Various sensations can sometimes also start up at the crown also, which I take to be normal, and just return attention to solar centering.

I can only offer some guesses as to what it might be: the ajna itself or its activation, symptoms of purification, and prana being focused there as a result of concentration arising from relaxation.
Go to Top of Page

Inner_silence

USA
50 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  9:23:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bourgo,

Yes, you can feel the Ajna especially while being immersed in inner silence and also while performing moola bandha. You can feel the connection and the contractions in the brow as you contract the perineum.
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  02:34:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I dont know what it is, but I am having this for a very long period. Generally this has not been distracting and I easily ignored it as scenery.

But recently this has been pretty strong at times and it feels like it wants to drill a hole, sometimes both in the front (middle of the brows and forehead) and back side (of the skull) of ajna chakra. - this gets disturbing sometime and I think it is a call for self pacing and grounding.

Edit: The strong sensation I mentioned above is felt as much during the day also as in DM.

Edited by - Swan on Apr 11 2012 02:39:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  03:22:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Like Yogani often says - good things are happening. If the pressure at the third eye (or generally in the head) starts to feel too uncomfortable during DM, you can bring your attention to your solar plexus - that should ease it.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Bourgo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  08:18:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@AumNaturel: I also assumed that if I was going to feel any third eye sensations, that they would occur during SBP. However, my SBP seems pretty uneventful...I introduced SBP about 3-4 months ago and yet my DM is no "deeper", I still cannot see or even visualize the spinal nerve, and I feel no energy movements whatsoever. At this point SBP feels like more of a distraction from DM than a beneficial spiritual practice.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  08:36:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bourgo

@AumNaturel: I also assumed that if I was going to feel any third eye sensations, that they would occur during SBP. However, my SBP seems pretty uneventful...I introduced SBP about 3-4 months ago and yet my DM is no "deeper", I still cannot see or even visualize the spinal nerve, and I feel no energy movements whatsoever. At this point SBP feels like more of a distraction from DM than a beneficial spiritual practice.

seems perfect, that's exactly how it is after a few years.

There is a difference between distractions and overloading.

During DM go back to the basics.......anytime your off the Mantra, feeling pressure here or there, then gently place your attention back on the Mantra. It's often the case that you are not lsubconsciously loving the idea of going to stillness, so the mind puts up some little distractions to get you to give up.

Also, don't worry about going deeper, it's another similar distraction " I'm not going deep enough, I should be somewhere else by now etc" anytime you are off the mantra yeah, you know the routine by now.

True overloading is fairly easy to spot. In normal everyday life you are moody, feel a nagging frustration, lack of tolerance, stuff just winds you up with no real reason. You might feel really tired and listless, or maybe lots of weird physical stuff going on. You have to cross reference it with everyday symptoms. For instance if you have been working really hard you might feel tired or a bit grumpy.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  10:48:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
From the lessons, you don't have to feel anything in the body for things to be effective. Looking and expecting anything can actually hinder SBP and DM. I can see how that would be true when awareness absorbed in the practice keeps getting pulled out of it for reasons other than keeping to the guidelines and self-pacing.

'Best result from action is by losing yourself in that action...action guided by higher inner reason.' -paraphrased, Sri Atmananda, 481, pp. 3, Notes on spiritual discourses vol 3.

SBP along with DM promote some inner balance as well given that they are sometimes found helpful to manage excess symptoms if taken on lightly. If they don't cause symptoms directly, I take that to be evidence for their effectiveness in providing the opportunity for ongoing practice and purification with less discomfort and distractions.

Seeing the spinal nerve is perhaps a milestone but not a practice in SBP. Visualize the spinal nerve I think just means what it says, to imagine tracing along the spine. I use tactile cues along spine (position of body in space, proprioception) and pair the visualization along with breath, while the mudras and bandhas fill in with their own sensations at root and brow. To me this doesn't require 'heavy concentration' which the lessons also advise against, maybe because of my prior experience with other systems. We do what we can in following the guidelines, and that alone is said to be enough for openings and changes to take place in time.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  11:10:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
dont worry Bourgo ...i cant see the spinal nerve either,this does not mean that SBP is not effective.
quote:
'Best result from action is by losing yourself in that action...action guided by higher inner reason.

nice!
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  12:30:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bourgo

@AumNaturel: I still cannot see or even visualize the spinal nerve, and I feel no energy movements whatsoever. At this point SBP feels like more of a distraction from DM than a beneficial spiritual practice.

For me Maha Mudra and Om japa before SBP helps to percieve the spine. It comes with time. When you place your awareness in a part of your body, energy goes there. So place your awareness in the 1st chakra first, and move it slowly up with the inhalation, and then down with the exhalation.
Also Maha Mudra helps to unblock the nostrils for SBP
Go to Top of Page

Bourgo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  08:35:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies everyone. This discussion makes me wonder whether people, based on their natural progression or ability, begin advancement along yoga practices at different places.... like some people enter the road to enlightenment a few miles further down the road than others... and as such, miss some of the scenery? I dunno, just a random thought.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  09:20:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Most of us have been through so many lows, highs and collections of scenery that we have just got used to it. If you exeriemce all the sights, sounds of scenery for the first time it can be quite overwhelming, each new thing is something amazing or scary or both. After a whiandroid begin to recognise the overall shape, If not the precise object and that lets you ignore it.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  02:42:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It can be quite frustrating at first when as a new-comer to AYP and the forum you would like to share all these great experiences of sound, visions, lights etc.. only to be told "it's only scenery - let it go" but there is a very good reason AYP discourages dwelling too much on the scenery especially if it's happening during your sitting practices. 1) Not to get distracted by them 2)It feeds the ego. It can lead to illusions of your own spiritual grandeur that is not necessarily being reflected in your everyday life. Yogani makes it clear - it is in our daily life that we will see our true progress.

On the other hand, blissful ones do add to your bhakti and help you keep going. And I confess to being guilty of going off the practice when really great scenery come up (lately the appearance of Jesus)

My daily life, however, remains crappy

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Bourgo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  11:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere
... when really great scenery come up (lately the appearance of Jesus)

Funny story about this. My son (2 years old) was talking to himself in the living room while my wife was in the kitchen. She went in and said "who are you talking to buddy?" He replied that he was talking to his friend. She asked him who his friend was?

He replied immediately, "Jesus."

The best part is, we have never spoken of Jesus to him, because we feel that at this point there is no reason to talk to him about religion of any kind.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000