Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 "scenery" and significance?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mukundaspupil

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2012 :  8:01:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello Yogis,

I'm quite new to practice, so not very advanced at all, I have a question about the significance of "scenery". I know it's not supposed to be focused on, and I didn't I'm analysing it afterwards :-D when it happens I just go back to the mantra. Anyway, I've had a few "visions" or images I suppose, random things that occured without me thinking about them, during deep meditation and I wonder if any of you more experienced yogis know if they have any significance. One was a tiger, lying in front of me, about 3 metres away. I wasn't scared and it was being aggressive, just lying there looking at me. Another was birds flying in the air and then another where all these flashing images of mens faces, one after another, some vaguely familar others not at all, it was a bit unsettling really. If anyone knows what this is, or has had similar exeriences I'd love to hear :-)

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2012 :  04:34:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Attach no significance. We all get it at one time or another, it's purification happening. Some have much stronger scenery. Something good is happening.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2012 :  07:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's quite possible that those images do have significance - to the mind that was shut down at the time. But chasing those images could be counter-productive because it shows your mind what it needs to do to catch you like a fish and reel you in.
Go to Top of Page

mukundaspupil

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2012 :  09:59:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thank you both, I did ignore them the time, was just wondering (when i'm not meditating) if particular images meant anything, I know in native american culture animals mean a lot for instance...anyway, yes I'll just stick to the mantra and be happy with the purification
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2012 :  5:18:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I sometimes hear voices or music when I'm meditating. Just as if there's a TV on in the next room (or in my head!) It seems completely independent of any conscious thought. At first it was difficult to not notice. Now when if it happens occasionally I just ignore it. I've had visuals a few times and the same goes for that.
Go to Top of Page

Sandyfrench

New Zealand
9 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2012 :  04:22:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My husband had the face of John Hurt ( actor ) staring at him intently once while doing DM....he said it was quite unnerving! He could never figure out any significance to it.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2012 :  05:17:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe he thought he was an Alien face hugger
Go to Top of Page

mukundaspupil

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2012 :  09:32:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hey little turtle, thanks for your input, wow that is pretty far out, it's mainly visuals i get, sometimes the feeling like i'm travelling forward at about a million miles an hour, get that quite often. Hearing stuff might freak me out a bit, at least i'm aware that can happen too now, thanks :-) Sandy French, lol! that definitely makes me feel better, I was seeing lots of faces, and they were familiar, as actors or something, nobody i knew personally, it was just one face after the last and it was a bit unnerving too. John Hurt, what a hoot! Karl, you're an eejit! ok so maybe it's just random images your brain has kept for some reason then...too much tv probably haha
Go to Top of Page

Bourgo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2012 :  08:23:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
All of my practice I've had basically no "scenery" (no visions, sounds, feelings, etc), but I am just chalking that up to being different I suppose. I can't say that I wouldn't like to experience something like that....just to see what its like....but I'm not worried about it. Or, at least I don't think I should be worried about it.

I do have a question for those who've had "scenery", however: when you see a vision (the tiger, for example), is it VERY clear in your mind's eye...almost as if you're looking at the tiger in real life? Or is it vague and fuzzy like a daydream?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2012 :  08:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bourgo

All of my practice I've had basically no "scenery" (no visions, sounds, feelings, etc), but I am just chalking that up to being different I suppose. I can't say that I wouldn't like to experience something like that....just to see what its like....but I'm not worried about it. Or, at least I don't think I should be worried about it.

I do have a question for those who've had "scenery", however: when you see a vision (the tiger, for example), is it VERY clear in your mind's eye...almost as if you're looking at the tiger in real life? Or is it vague and fuzzy like a daydream?

Thanks!

Very clear, very real, not just the vision but interaction, tactile feel, smells the whole nine yards.

Don't worry it's definitely not mandatory. It was off putting for a few months in the early days of meditation. Now, virtually nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2012 :  7:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I look at "scenery" during meditation as basically dream states.Old memories, images, etc, stuff comes and goes just like dreams. No more or less significant. Maybe that analogy can help put it in perspective.
Go to Top of Page

mukundaspupil

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  11:52:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, very clear, just like real life, but as Karl and everyone else says it's not important, I'm just in the early stages so that's why it's probably happening to me. :-)
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  12:35:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would love to write about my scenery but its definitely in the R category. I nearly quit in the early days because it was very distracting, fun, but not where I wanted to go.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  12:56:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a possibility that the Tiger is your spirit animal. If so, he will turn up again.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

mukundaspupil

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2012 :  10:10:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Sey, thanks for your comment, I do find that type of thing interesting, I looked up the qualities of the tiger as spirit animal and one is to help us live in the Now...which is quite relevant. Of course, I won't be striving to see the tiger again...just as i went easily back to the mantra when it happened last time. ;-) thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

Sandyfrench

New Zealand
9 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2012 :  10:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The tiger could well be a 'messenger' animal, in which case you wont see it again. It just popped into your awareness to give you that one message. Spirit or totem animals, you tend to see all over the place.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000