Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Just Wondering (Wandering)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stillpool

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  5:22:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Just a thought that popped into my head.

If Deep Meditation is so powerful, and can indeed take us "all the way," then why all these other, and often seemingly difficult yoga practices? I mean, why not just DM, which eliminates all the blockages that prevent us from living in fulfillment?

Thanks!

Sandyfrench

New Zealand
9 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  6:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good question. I'd love to hear what others have to say on this too
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  6:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I can't answer the question, but I have been only doing DM and spinal breathing pranayama (SBP); the most basic practices for several years. They are all you need, and are quite effective.
The more advanced stuff is optional!
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  6:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stillpool

Well DM is very powerful and does what it says on the tin; develops inner silence. However it might take longer just doing DM to get to
your destination.

quote:
First comes the rise of silence from regular meditation. It is also experienced as an increasingly steady state of peace, happiness and bliss. Most of all it is experienced as an inner stability that is not shaken by any outer experience. Inner silence is the foundation for further experiences that are facilitated by additional advanced yoga practices that awaken the silence of pure bliss consciousness to a dynamic state in our nervous system.

Second comes the rise of ecstatic experience in the body and surroundings. It comes from an awakening of the life force in the body and a gradual refinement of sensory perception. Through pranayama (breath control) and other means, meditation is enhanced so that the senses are opened in an inward direction, enabling us to perceive the ecstatic energies coursing within and around us. You could say that silence moves within us, and this creates a new and captivating kind of experience. During this stage, appreciation for the divine flow of life is naturally heightened, leading to increased desire to enter and merge with the deepening sensory experience. One surrenders to the process as it advances, and this accelerates it. The second stage is like falling into an endless abyss of ecstasy. We function in the world with increasing joy as our attention becomes absorbed in the ever-present living beauty moving beneath the surface of all things. For us, the boundaries are dissolving.

http://www.aypsite.org/35.html

Edited by - woosa on Mar 28 2012 6:51:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  8:57:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The other practices enhance DM, making it more effective. I believe they're presented so each person can choose according to their individual needs and inclinations.

Like Ether, my practice is very basic. I've tried almost every practice taught here at one time or another, but SBP and DM are currently good enough for me.

Namaste [img]icon_heart.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Stillpool

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  9:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, not to sound redundant, but why practice techniques to "enliven" the senses if by Deep Meditation we are seeking to "transcend" them? Isn't this counterproductive? I mean, I understand wanting to "feel" bliss in our bodies. That's well and good. But isn't Yoga about transcending our bodies as we realize our union with That?

I'm only asking because I am serious about going forward, but would like more reasons than just a "bliss-buzz." I could get that from substances.

Am I missing something?

Thanks ya'll.

Go to Top of Page

Inner_silence

USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  9:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO one needs to purify the physical body and get it in shape so that DM can work its wonders. So where one will feel 'ecstatic conductivity' being in good physical shape, a not so physically fit person will feel it as a mosquito bite and ignore the milestone. That's my line of thought.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  11:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, we need a reason to continue. Something more than just a "bliss-buzz" (although, from where I sit now, I certainly wouldn't mind some more of this bliss-buzz that's whirling in my channels as I type. It feels like there's mini-jacuzzis in my arms spurting forth invisible fountains of pranic intelligence, healing and transforming my system. And that's from meditation and yoga, not from any substances...and believe me, I've taken a few substances...and the substances' synthetic bliss pales in comparison.)

But, I digress. A reason to move forward...it sounds like you need an ishta, Stillpool. An ishta is your own personal chosen ideal, and this lesson will fill you in on the details:
http://www.aypsite.org/339.html

I'm here all night--be sure to tip your waitresses.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  03:15:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't think I have anything different to offer.

It's about pacing. Some can handle loads of other practices which support the core DM, others overload with just DM.

DM will do the trick on its own but might be too slow for some.

We all have individual requirements just select your most effective while keeping an eye on the rev counter.
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  07:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stillpool

If you just meditated for some time you would develop inner silence. However as you progress you will feel the bliss buzz and ecsatic conductivity (kundalini) as well.

Inner silence is only one side of the coin. Ecstatic conductivity is the other side. Both are unavoidable if you practice yoga.

By doing pranayama before meditation you are enlivening your nervous system with ecstatic conductivity which will be carried forward into meditation. You are speeding up the purification process.

When I started out I just meditated for some years and then I started feeling energy and thinking huh that's strange. Started doing AYP with pranayama and DM and it has changed my practice (and life) stupendously.

But that is just me. At the end of the day it's your practice. But there is only one way to find out if any practice is worth it. Try it out for yourself!

(I tried a few types of drugs and the problem with those are they only last a few hours. And they feel artifical compared to the sensations you get from practicing yoga. The sensations from yoga last all day every day and it's free. Perfect when the economy is knackered.)

Edited by - woosa on Mar 29 2012 07:47:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Stillpool

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  09:16:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I really appreciate the views and opinions offered. Thanks for taking the time. And Bodhi Tree, you make me laugh. Good advice, though. Something I hadn't thought of. An Ishta. Maybe my heart is just expressing a deep need right now. Thanks for the link.

Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  9:32:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would just add that the "bliss buzz" is merely a byproduct of yoga, and not the goal. (Unless you make it your goal, which would be your personal choice).

AUM [img]icon_heart.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  10:15:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stillpool

quote:
Originally posted by Stillpool

But isn't Yoga about transcending our bodies as we realize our union with That?

I can only speak for me, but to me yoga is most definitely NOT about transcending our bodies. "That" includes the body. The body/mind is the vehicle to "That."

Regarding why one would use practices other than DM if DM will take us all the way, I would suggest that people will use the other practices because as the inner unfolding becomes more and more noticable, the desire for more and quicker unfolding grows stronger and we begin looking for ways to enhance or quicken the process. The other practices, what Yogani has on occasion called "the dynamite" are what can be used to blast through obstructions and quicken the unfolding as long as balance can be maintained. So follow you deepest inner desire and stay true to yourself. In my opinion, DM and SBP (if the nervous system can handle them together while staying in balance) in combination with constant self-observation, is more than enough to take one all the way.

Much love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Stillpool

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2012 :  06:31:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Carson.

I guess I'm also afraid of pranayama. Afraid that it might change me in a negative way. Or that it could possibly produce negative effects beyond my control.

I downloaded the book Spinal Breathing but it may be some time before I'm brave enough to try it. DM works wonders. But I even encountered some side effects (panic attacks) with that. We will see. Thanks again for the helpful responses.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000