Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Exaggerated Auto Yoga during DM....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thezuck

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  5:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit thezuck's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone!
So just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what it has evolved into.

Doing AYP for 1 year. I do pranayama and DM w/ siddhasana.

Basically, the last couple weeks of DM, after 8 minutes or so, when the prana starts to really build up,my hips want to rise and put me into a sort of bridge pose with my legs crossed and head back.

Wondering if its because im not doing enough asana, my body is trying to get into a better position to accomodate the energy flow???

Or is that just something that will go away or turn into something else?

Its not a real big concern, because it feels good in and out of DM, but it is a bit different than my traditional vision of sitting upright with a straight back. Maybe I should be self-pacing?

Anyone? Cheers!
Shane

Bourgo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  9:10:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If I'm correct, Yogani would likely suggest to back off for a bit, lowering the time of practice, etc. I've never experienced this sort of thing (I've only been practicing DM for 2.5 months), but it seems like it would be difficult to keep the procedure of DM with spontaneous Yoga.....and if this Yoga "scenery" is interfering with your practice, it is likely not helpful.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2012 :  10:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Neither have I and I too have done it for 1 year but with the regular asana routine. Bourgo is right, and in addition I found some interesting pointers re-reading http://www.aypsite.org/183.html and http://www.aypsite.org/210.html. The SFP book also talks about it and warns of overloads if we deliberately follow automatic yogas (page 493).
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  10:51:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shane,

Very good spiritual devolopment In my opinion there is no need to back off or self space when kundalini raises from Root Chakra it passes through the sushmana nadi passing all the chakras and when it does sometimes people get automatic yoga so in my opinion its something normal.

Love n Light
Viji
Go to Top of Page

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  2:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shane,

I've experienced much more "dramatic" auto yoga many many times before, and it still goes on. Sometimes it lasts for several months. Often my spine moves like a snake, back and forth and to both sides. It could also happen after the DM in rest period.

In my case it's energy trying to pass through a blocked spot. It is necessary to back up ONLY if your daily activities are Not smooth. Your experience in the day is the golden standard for deciding if you are overloaded and need to back off.

That said, instead of back off, I'd suggest to do the asanas that your inner silence calls for, in your case, Bridge pose. I usually do some spinal bending and twisting before my sitting session. it helps the energy to pass through the blockages.

you'll decide for yourself what is right thing to do:)

Pheel
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  3:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shane,
I would say that so long as you are not putting yourself into physical danger and you are not suffering before or after - you should just carry on. I would say - in my case auto-yoga almost is an indication towards the next steps. - So here I would take it as an indication of doing some backward bending asanas. Obviously if it causes overload symptoms - back off.
Go to Top of Page

thezuck

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  2:52:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit thezuck's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Thanks for all the amazing responses. I feel like what I was looking for is a combination of all that has been said. There are times when it IS distracting. My awareness shifts from connecting with the practice to mental analysis of my physical response. Trying to ride the balance of kundalini with silence is a little tricky.

Over the last few days, i have tried to be a bit more gentle with pranayama...not pushing the breath to be deeper or suspending the breath at the end....and its helping to smooth things out.

Very glad to hear auto-yoga is pretty common....
The idea of listening to my body and doing some bridge poses to add flexibility makes a lot of sense to me. The physical is letting me know how to help accommodate the increased energy flow. Communication happening between the various levels of being. THAT is cool.

Ill try bridge for a few days and post how it goes.

Best Regards,
Shane
Go to Top of Page

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  12:27:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shane,

You should not do intentional breathing suspension at the end of breaths. That is a much more powerful practice, kumbhaka, which can quickly cause overload. And also it looks from what you described, you need to solidify your silence. If you have strong presence of inner silence, it'll be much easier to ride the energy waves:)

best
Pheel
Go to Top of Page

thezuck

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  6:02:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit thezuck's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Pheel...
I really dont know if I was doing kumbahka intentionally. When Im really focused on pranayama, it happens by itself. At least it appears so.

The prana almost seems to oxygenate my system.....like instead of breathing my cells are maintained by prana. It could be im unconciously leaning towards suspension because it usually is pleasurable, which could be an obstacle to silence for sure.

I have been making sure the flow of my breath is smooth (no pauses) and it has helped. I agree...more silence gives me space for the energy to flow.

Thanks!!!
Shane
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000