Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Issue with time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shades

Sweden
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  05:17:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
In the practices there is some difficulty letting go of the mantra, and go from spinal breathing to meditation after the right amount of time. Maybe most people think this is a smaller issue? But I prefer ending at the time which is intended.
For a while I knew when to stop, and the time was okay. Though it is difficult to relax totaly and ending when I want to. Noticed that you can easily go in to DM after SB. Amazing results when you get it to work as a beginner :) How ever, checking the time interupt this easy slide from SB to DM... Also I have to look at the watch (using my phone, don't have another that is suiting) about four times during my practice.

Not a big deal, but am not really sure how to handle this. Just go without the watch until afterwards? And learn to know the time in a relaxed state. Keep looking at the time during practice? Or should I not worry about the time issue.
I guess it is more important in the beginning when you are more sensitive to practice.

I remember from the lessons that you can have a glance at the watch during practice, but the best is to learn how to stop at the right time.
How ever, if there would be a faster way to get this right than trying and failing until you get it right, I would be content for now.

Acctually, I have always had this issue with the time during my meditation. Not only AYP.
Guess I would like to live without the time if I had the opportunity Difficult to do because time is a good tool if you can handle it without being annoyed.

Namaste,
shades

Edited by - shades on Mar 26 2012 10:18:41 AM

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  06:19:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gymboss timer is $20. if you don't mind the "beep".

http://www.gymboss.com/

There are other software timers for your computer and fancy meditation timers with awesome sounds but they cost a lot.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  06:38:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i kept an old mobile cause it has a countdown timer
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  09:59:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a few free solutions to that. There's the yoga and meditation timer and wodtimer which can be played from any device that has either internet or software requirements to play offline. They have no memory function, so you'd have to set them every single time.

I prefer the simplest of methods that have the least requirements and most adaptable, though it requires some knowledge and work on your part. It is free, provided you can make use of sound-playback hardware you already have, such as a home computer for starters. It involves creating a silent sound file with timed-cues. I've done it, and the setup works:

Hardware: Any compressed-sound capable playback device (cell phone, pda, mp3 player, cd-player, laptop). Headphones should work on full volume from a distance, if not, tiny speakers powered by headphone jack will do. Powered by an outlet is best, especially if it can work with batteries taken out (old tech like mp3 capable cd-players can) and still remain mobile for traveling.

There are more open-source or free software packages available if you look around, especially for a basic audio editor program. All it needs to do is show the standard waveform interface of the sound with the time index at the top, along with a good compression option like mp3. Record a sound, or find a free to use one, add it at intervals to cue beginning (can be a double-sound), transition points, and the end (another double-sound), leaving the in-between blank for silence. Even 100 minute tracks compress to less than 12 MB in mp3, for example.

Finally, once you have the setup, it is easy to create new sound files the same way to change the timers to match your practice, or even create many labelled tracks of different lengths in advance that you just select based on time available and self-pacing guidelines. At that size, a CD alone would be far more than enough space, and easy to select on the spot if arranged by clear folder and file names.

One-button play with auto-stop is best, with no boot up times, battery charging/replacing, turning off ringers, EM radiation etc. It should help simplify and strengthen the practice habit, not add more hasstles and diversions.

This is not to say the body alone can't keep track of time. I can beat my waking alarm clock on the minute sometimes if it is routine enough, or use body cues to signal transitions, and often the routine just ends after the same amount of time, give or take maybe 10 minutes.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  10:14:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I use the insight timer on my iPad, can be used on other devices now. Great, has a community connection too. There are a few of us using it on the forum and we send secret messages of encouragement to each other
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  11:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

i kept an old mobile cause it has a countdown timer

That's what I do too. Works great
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  11:26:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl

I use the insight timer on my iPad, can be used on other devices now. Great, has a community connection too. There are a few of us using it on the forum and we send secret messages of encouragement to each other

Karl and I are creating a cross-Atlantlic, highly advanced, multi-dimensional, time-travelling wormhole via the Insight Timer app. Top-secret, as Karl says.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  02:11:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
That's what I do too. Works great

It is a relief to know that...i thought i was the only one in the forums that is technologically out dated
love u
Go to Top of Page

shades

Sweden
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  09:04:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey. Looks like I did choose a mix; recorded beep from mobile for the spinalbreathing time, and use mobile timer for ending of practice.

Namaste,
shades
Go to Top of Page

Chris_topher

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2013 :  9:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Karl and Bodhi Tree, thanks for the headsup on Insight Timer. Just downloaded it. Very useful!
Go to Top of Page

chinmayo

Finland
67 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2013 :  05:49:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello!

I sometimes use this when I need to be strict on the time. So far I have never went pass the 20minutes even without a timer, but if I want to be sure I use this:

http://www.onlinemeditationtimer.com/

I usually set the meditation time for 15 or 20minutes and preparation time for 6 minutes, because then I have 1 minute time to settle into the siddhasana and then start doing the SPB until the first gong sounds, and then switch into DM mode until the second set of gongs sounds. So far the handiest free app I have found, although requires an internet connection!
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2013 :  09:16:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I use the Zazen meditation timer. It is available on the google play store. I like it because I can setup segments for SP,DM,Samayama and rest all with one timer. It allows me to press the button once and when the bell goes off I know it is time to move to the next practice. I bet I could do samayama with 15 second intervals if I wanted to.

Nice little app.

Edited by - jonesboy on Nov 20 2013 09:19:49 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000