Enlightenment Milestones
 realization of no-self
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  12:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Summary:

-Intense engagement of 'direct pointing' method via liberation unleashed. www.liberationunleashed.com

-Intensive, constantly all hours, for several days on end, self inquiry (ramana maharshi style) and watching myself

-Was reading these words of the Buddha "Then, Bahiya, you should train yourself thus: In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized."

-Suddenly, realization occurred with much laughter and lightness of being, that there is no self. I, me, Josh is just a concept. There's nobody really there.

-Very ordinary. Very obvious. Very funny (as I'd got myself into a bit of tiz with my intense hunger for the truth in the few days of constant self inquiry, which seems a little ridiculous)

-Thought occurs that something which is quite obvious (when you look at it, beyond the hypnosis of thought and language) is surrounded by a lot of awe and reverence (and bullsh*t) and becomes shrouded in crap.

This realization is by no means completely deeply lodged into the physical entity called Josh, it is not (yet) final or pervasive. It's just finally seeing a fairly obvious truth by looking closely. Intention exists to continue spiritual practice and deepen realization into the entity - i.e. the physical mind and body called Josh.

It is however a kindergartener's first step. A hindsight exists that more time should have been spent looking at reality, instead of reading so many books etc which filled my mind with millions of conflicting ideas and stuff about something which could be described in a single sentence.

Spiritual practice which lead to this:

-indirectly to some extent AYP and other forms of meditation. Although I think AYP is more of a "spiritual ripening" technique - it ripens the neurobiology to help a physical entity become a living expression of the Truth.

-Reading, re-reading, then reading again, very slowly, Ramana Maharshi quotes as organized in "Seven Steps to Awakening" by Michael Langford

-liberation unleashed dialogue (www.liberationunleashed.com) direct pointing method.

-aggressive application of watching thoughts, emotions, body, etc and looking for the self, trying to find the self, for all hours of the day, for several days, doing it last thing before going to bed

There are a lot less feelings of confusion now, lot less heaviness, and a feeling of looking forward to on-going spiritual ripening.

Realization exists that this is really not a big deal at all, feeling of almost being a little embarrassed to post this is there. lol.

Edited by - mr_anderson on Mar 20 2012 1:51:52 PM

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  2:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can totally relate my brother

I am no big expert, this has just happened like a couple of weeks back... But I'd just like to offer you some pointers:

Remember that this is a new beginning... Just be with whatever is happening and don't stand in the way of it. Remember there's no "I" to wake up or do anything, awareness is already looking through your eyes. Now it's time to live the understanding, you will also notice that whatever melts really melts... Just watch it and stay with it. It's really beneficial to be the master of your own mind and not the other way around. You will see how this works the most when faced with certain heated situations...

And most importantly, keep on your meditation routine in case you have one. It is what got you here in the first place. IMHO and from what little research I've done.. There are some at liberation unleashed and at ruthlesstruth whom after this realization do come back into non relation mental gymnastics... Just take the whole thing easy.

Good things are happening

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  2:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks a lot Ananda. it's really just a simple, obvious thing, and like you say - a new beginning, first step on a journey. now the realization must be deepened and embodied.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  2:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Then, Bahiya, you should train yourself thus: In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized."

beautiful...i found this explanatory website:
quote:
http://buddhasutra.com/files/bahiya_sutta.htm

Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  12:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes thank you Maheswari! That brief flash of no-self has now passed, but it has left me with such great hunger and direction which can only be a good thing.

I started on this journey to try and escape my suffering.

Then I began to realize suffering really ends when you embrace pain and surrender the will. You suffer willingly, and thereby the suffering is dissolved.

Now the journey has led me to questioning: is there anyone, or anything who is actually suffering? Where is the "I" that is suffering?

Out of a desire to manipulate away my problems, the desire for truth arose. It's very beautiful.

I will read the Bahiya story now
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  02:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
me too the flash of no self passed...i had few problems this week(problems with the greedy landlord-laptop stolen- car glass broken-crazy situation at work)....lots of mental agitation came up...then i reliazed the best way is to cooperate fully with the inevitable (and all is inevitable), accept and embrace the suffering and willing to suffer as long as it takes...even at the risk of loosing everything (body-mind-home-work-relations-future plans...) in fact there are no future plans, just taking things as they come or dont come....in arabic we have a saying: "he does know where God has put him" ...this saying expresses perfectly what i am feeling these days , i am loosing control and i dont know anything and i dont know how life will unfold.....this is scary... in the midst of this seeimlgy "chaotics state" there is bliss....looking back i notice how maheswari is really only a shadow....

Edited by - maheswari on Mar 22 2012 03:01:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  03:42:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

me too the flash of no self passed...i had few problems this week(problems with the greedy landlord-laptop stolen- car glass broken-crazy situation at work)....lots of mental agitation came up...then i reliazed the best way is to cooperate fully with the inevitable (and all is inevitable), accept and embrace the suffering and willing to suffer as long as it takes...even at the risk of loosing everything (body-mind-home-work-relations-future plans...) in fact there are no future plans, just taking things as they come or dont come....in arabic we have a saying: "he does know where God has put him" ...this saying expresses perfectly what i am feeling these days , i am loosing control and i dont know anything and i dont know how life will unfold.....this is scary... in the midst of this seeimlgy "chaotics state" there is bliss....looking back i notice how maheswari is really only a shadow....

"I" can relate to all this! Once again, M., you and I travel parallel paths in this life. Things have been crazy here lately in terms of external circumstances and being pushed to the limit of what I ever expected my reality to be. For "me" it has become very much like being an actor in a movie. Sometimes the movie is crazy and scary and sad - but it's only a movie and I'm just an actor. Nobody is really being hurt. When I look for "me" there's essentially nothing there; this ego is like a filter or lens through which the Divine experiences life as me. This has become my reality nearly 24/7 except for some really intense times when I have to put on the "self" role very seriously to take care of things happening on this plane and momentarily forget that it's just a movie. Then I breathe and remember, "oh, yeah..." But the pressure, the burden, is gone. There is no more worry about what the future holds. There is only the necessary action to take care of the drama in the present and it is mostly effortless. Then we step back and breathe again and merge back into the limitless Love and Bliss.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  04:29:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Love to u dear Radharani
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000