Gurus Gone Wrong
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  3:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Frank-in-SanDiego
Jim I see your point, with the right guru ( and there are many types), it is by their grace that one goes from the local to the universal.

Sure it is. God's grace. The flow's grace. isvara's grace. Or the grace of your personal local stand-in, the guru. Doesn't matter, cuz grace is grace. Like soybeans, it's a commodity, and it's not specific or personal. It's certainly not "possessed" by any one person, that's the whole point. The conceptualization you make of the source of grace is a short term crutch necessary order to get over the hump, lest you think you're pursuing some sort of goal via your OWN effort (i.e. you simply need to drive the car even better/faster...the harder we try, the more we miss it). It's grace that allows EVERYTHING.

The guru's grace is exactly the step of allowing the guru to drive the car. You don't need to drive - your guru drives... and that IS his grace!

That's half truth. The truth is that the car, the driving, all of it just IS, and it's all 100% grace (except for Kenny G, of course).

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Jun 01 2006 3:11:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  7:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

[quote] God's grace. The flow's grace. isvara's grace. Or the grace of your personal local stand-in, the guru. Doesn't matter, cuz grace is grace.

Jim, thx for the note. I think we're both saying the same thing...yet my point ( I think) I was trying to communicate is that If the guru that goes sideways, s/he may think his/her 'individual' grace has upsurped the universal grace...then grace is not grace; there may be a different name for it.

Its when the guru is NOT visphulinga ( or acting as that divine spark) that there is the possiblity of acting from a-vidya (ignorance).... Now, that said, I have limited knowledge here, for I have not encountered a 'wrong' guru. Because of my definition, he/she would not be considered 'guru' ( dispeller of darkness) if they acted wrongly - which means to me, they are not acting in Brhama-vidya ( or that Fullness). That is why in the last post I suggested different kinds of guru's - those filled and operating from Brahman, those not. The ones that go sideways, I cannot imagine are established in Brahman.

agnir satyam rtam brhat
Frank in San-Diego

Edited by - Frank-in-SanDiego on Jun 01 2006 7:59:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

mystic

2 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  8:22:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit mystic's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The guru in you IS YOU.
(not the illusion of "you" in an ego structure or thought process)
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  11:00:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't everyone our guru?

I guess what I mean is, the universe is a chain with a bunch of links in it. All links are the chain.

Maybe transcendence is a path where we come to intersect with links that have more qualities that reflect the chain. But all links on the way to that special link (guru) are still god.

I am sorry to hear what happened with your guru, and I am delighted that you found AYP. A haven for us, indeed.

Edited by - Kyman on Aug 15 2006 12:55:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  08:57:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sure you can learn from everything in your life, and it all can lead you to your enlightenment...but everything isn't enlightened. A 1 year old can't tell you what the path is like..nor can a tree. Most people in the world are unenlightened, so if you have specific questions you don't get any answers that you want. Also, some people will say "meditate all day" and some will say "forget about that spiritual bullpap". If you get your information from one enlightened person, you will have much less confusion.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  10:33:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you get your information from one enlightened person, you will have much less confusion.

OTOH, if that 'one enlightened person' is themselves confused, you could be in for serious trouble....

Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  10:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very true. It's probably best to take everything with a grain of salt. At least then it tastes better.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  11:27:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Scott

Sure you can learn from everything in your life, and it all can lead you to your enlightenment...but everything isn't enlightened. A 1 year old can't tell you what the path is like..nor can a tree. Most people in the world are unenlightened, so if you have specific questions you don't get any answers that you want. Also, some people will say "meditate all day" and some will say "forget about that spiritual bullpap". If you get your information from one enlightened person, you will have much less confusion.

I would have to disagree with you there, to a degree. Honor to your point, as I do not want to sound contrary.

I had the blessing of taking care of a few kids, one little girl in particular, for a few years. Everyday, like a father.

Those relationships of service were my greatest learning experiences. In having to surrender to the will of a child, I found myself.

A child has what a guru may have covered up and can't find fully.

You can always trust a child not to break your heart too.

Back to your point, a child cannot walk you in certain steps that might be needed, mentally. But I strongly feel that emotionally the child can get your there.

I often say that the mother who watches the neighborhood kids, making sure they are sheltered and fed, safe, and going in a positive direction, is one of the truest form of "government".
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  12:10:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw that you disagreed, but in the rest of the words I couldn't find a reason why or how you disagreed.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000