Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Request for vegetarian recipes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

img

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  04:46:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
The slow cooker is back in operation, and that means FOOD.
If you have nice vegetarian recipes for the slow cooker, please share.
If your recipe is not yet adapted for the slow cooker, please share these too: I'll try them out in the slow cooker and see what happens.

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  04:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello img...i dont cook but these recipes should be simple
http://www.sivananda.org/teachings/...recipes.html
Go to Top of Page

img

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  11:05:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!
I bookmarked the page.
Go to Top of Page

delta33

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  7:49:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit delta33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i was recently gifted a slow cooker (crock pot) and here's one of my vegan recipees:

1 large onion (chopped)
4 cloves garlic (thin slices)
4 carrots (chopped)
2 cups green beans (chopped)
1 cup brown rice (rinsed)
1 cup green lentils (rinsed)
2 tbsp himalayan rock salt

cover all of this with charcoal filtered water, set to low cook and dinner is ready by the time i get home from work. delicious and a complete protein.

sometimes i'll toast a slice of flax bread, drizzle some extra virgin cold pressed olive oil on it and use it as a soup dip.. yummy!
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  05:07:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
vegetarian diet is not only Ahimsa...healthy...but also all the cooking utensils are easily washed there is no greasy meat ..washing the dishes is very quick
Go to Top of Page

img

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  2:37:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

vegetarian diet is not only Ahimsa...healthy...but also all the cooking utensils are easily washed there is no greasy meat ..washing the dishes is very quick

Yes, and this leaves more time for truly fun things.

Mind you, vegetarian and yoga-friendly seem to be quite different concepts. Consider, for example, a vegetarian who eats potatoes, onion and garlic in substantial quantities. In principle, this is vegetarian food, but not that helpful in yoga.
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  2:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by img
...potatoes, onion and garlic in substantial quantities. In principle, this is vegetarian food...

I still have a relapse every now and then

Maheshwari, a real kitchenchemical challenge is keeping the oven clean. That's also much easier for veggies, even without any dubious chemicals.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  3:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was a very unhealthy vegetarian for almost 12 years before starting AYP (mostly due to a lack of education/motivation accompanied by hard drug addiction), and after having some challenges staying balanced I resorted to eating meat again for about 3 years. After finally finding some balance I (and my family) went back to being vegetarian again. What has been a total godsent for us has been this cookbook here: http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker...p/0471753041 We don't have much of a budget for food these days (tight times) so eating veggie (meat is expensive!!) and using easy vegetarian recipes that don't call for exotic, hard to find (in Canada) and expensive ingredients has really helped us be healthy vegetarians even on a tight budget. It even has a guide along with each recipe explaining how much iron, protein, calcium, cholesterol and other vitamins etc are in each serving so you can be sure you are nutritionally getting all you need to stay healthy. Pretty cheap too... can't recommend it enough.

Love!
Carson
Go to Top of Page

delta33

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  4:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit delta33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by img

Consider, for example, a vegetarian who eats potatoes, onion and garlic in substantial quantities. In principle, this is vegetarian food, but not that helpful in yoga.

i'm curious how are potatoes, onions and garlic not helpful in yoga?

edit: just did some research.. interesting perspectives:
http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/...-onions.html

i personally find consumption of onions and garlic make me more physically resilient

Edited by - delta33 on Feb 26 2012 4:46:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  12:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In India it is fairly commonly thought that onions, garlic, chilis increase sex drive.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  1:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by LittleTurtle

In India it is fairly commonly thought that onions, garlic, chilis increase sex drive.

though your partner might not see it that way.
Go to Top of Page

img

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  02:54:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi
What has been a total godsent for us has been this cookbook here: http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker...p/0471753041

I recently found this little diamond:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Indian-Slow...sr=8-1-spell

Many veg dishes, very yoga-adaptable, and easy on the budget too.
Go to Top of Page

img

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  03:08:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
i'm curious how are potatoes, onions and garlic not helpful in yoga?

They interfere with vibrational channels.
Garlic, in particular, is considered tamasic. I don't recall reading disparaging remarks about potatoes and onions in the scriptures themselves, but via trial and error I gradually isolated (and eliminated from diet) several items that tend to destabilise my practice. Potatoes, tomatoes, red/green/yellow peppers, onions, garlic are on my current 'don't eat' list.

Go to Top of Page

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2012 :  3:54:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a nice little book as well, it's become my favourite recipe book, a fantastic birthday present for me! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yoga-Cookbo...34811&sr=1-1

Most of the dishes in here are designed to be sattvic, so no garlic/onion/hot chilli as far as I know. Potatoes are used fairly often though, although I understand them to be tamasic in large quantities.. The red lentil dal in here is amazing, I make it constantly

IMG, i too have found that onion and garlic have become very unappetising, and tend to linger unpleasantly long as flavours in the mouth after eating them. Was this always the case and we just did not notice? Recipes that do call for either ingredient can be tweaked by adding a pinch of Asafoetida, also known as hing, to hot oil and sauteeing briefly at the start of cooking, it lends a nice savoury flavour. Have you noticed much of a change in your appetite for chocolate, if you ever had one?

Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2012 :  4:14:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Have you noticed much of a change in your appetite for chocolate, if you ever had one?

over here chocolate is still amazing....would not give it up
Go to Top of Page

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  6:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if this is patronising and hope that it's not, but my best Vegetarian/Yogic eating memories consist of very simple recipes.

Ingredients: A weekly local organic Veg box and other organic basics (salt, oils, seeds etc) + carbs to go with it (flours, pastas etc).

Dahl was the most complicated thing I made at the time and most of my meals consisted of 2 to 3 steamed or lightly fried vegetables (the Sattvic way to cook and the two best ways suggested in Yoganis book: Diet, Shatkarmas and Amaroli) with a tiny bit of salt/maybe herbs, some seeds of some type (sunflower, flax, hemp etc; usually raw, adds nice crunch) and some kind of carb, which most of the time was home made bread (even when it went wrong I can't emphasize enough how amazing home baked bread is), topped off with some olive oil and/or butter (again, organic free range butter). Desert was usually just some raw fruit.

I know that's not slow cooker friendly but I just thought I'd share my opinions on tasty food; a lot of the time (in my opinion) the best, tastiest meals are super simple and also the most nutritious (and concurrently Sattvic).

Also, for anyone who is/was addicted to juice/fizzy drinks/cordial etc try mixing, in water (still or sparkling), a teaspoon or 2 (or more; experiment) of powdered ginger, lemon juice (can range from a few drops to more) and (this can be left out but adds nice flavour) some fresh, torn up or chopped mint leaves, preferably apple mint.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000