Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 AYP, TM, PSM, ACEM etc Question...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shibumi

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  5:18:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
AYP, Transcendental Meditation, Deepak Chopra's Primordial Sound Meditation and ACEM (scandinavian teachers of what is essentially TM) are all essentially the same technique with slight if any differences (such as puja ritual or what mantra is used or given etc.)

I learned TM a few years ago, and I have read the AYP lessons.

I am curious about the lengths of time recommended by the above practices. In AYP and TM 20 minutes of meditation, in PMS and ACEM 30minutes per sitting up to 45minutes once a day (ACEM).

I also read somewhere that when TM was first brought to the west the meditation sessions were longer - 30minutes I think.

I feel like I get more benefit out of my meditation if I sit for at least 30 minutes. If PSM and ACEM both recommend 30 minutes - is it safe to sit and do TM or AYP for a single 30 minute session a day?

Or is there some slight minor difference in technique which allows a PSM meditator to do a 30 minute sitting and not a TM meditator? Although I enjoy sitting for 30 minutes once a day with my TM mantra I don't want to be doing some long term harm to myself. My logic for continuing is that if its recommended for PSM and ACEM meditators (TM offshoots - essentially the same technique from what I glean reading their information) to do 30 minutes a sitting twice a day then I can't be doing any harm to myself.

I meditate primarily for the daily/longterm mental/physical benefits, not to obtain enlightenment or any mystical experiences or anything like that.

Would love to get insight into this - especially from any PSM practitioners, TM teachers, etc.

Edited by - shibumi on Jan 30 2012 5:22:24 PM

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  06:48:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shibumi,

I'm not a TM teacher, or a PSM practitioner. And yes, it is safe to practice AYP Deep Meditation for 30 minutes at a time, once a day, or twice a day, or even more often if you are on retreat. If it works for you then it is fine. The same would apply for TM and PSM if they are similar methods.

Yogani recommends 20 minutes of meditation, twice a day as a starting point. All the practices are flexible, time-wise either way (less time, or more time per sitting). It is good to start off with 20 minutes, to get into things, but after a while that could be increased to 30 minutes, or reduced to 15 minutes depending on your level of sensitivity. It also depends on how much time you have available and what other practices you are doing. There are no hard and fast rules.
Go to Top of Page

shibumi

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  11:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the response Christi.

S
Go to Top of Page

shibumi

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  10:24:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Reading through the AYP lessons I think I've shed some light on the longer Primordial Sound sessions (30mins). It looks like in PSM they use a longer personalized mantra similar to one of the AYP mantra enhancements (3rd enhancement I think - the one used for over sensitive meditators as well). It seems the longer mantra takes you deeper slower. So this hypothetically makes sense that a longer mantra could be used for a longer-than-20 minutes meditation session.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000