New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  01:13:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
The next time someone tells you that they are enlightened, ask them if they have a photographic memory...

quote:

From the first bhumi to the sixth bhumi (stage on the bodhisattva path), the individual develops what is known as the seven branches of enlightenment. The first branch of enlightenment is a perfect memory, such a strong memory that there is no chance for us to forget anything, even if someone tries to make us forget. We remember not only what is happening now, but what we have to do later and what we did earlier, very clearly and precisely.
The second branch is the wisdom of seeing all phenomena as they are. When we see things as they are instead of the way they appear to be, we have no confusion about whether they are right or wrong. The third branch of enlightenment is diligence, and especially diligence in working ceaselessly to benefit sentient beings. The fourth branch is developing not only diligence, but also perfect joy in working for beings. Laziness never overcomes us; we can work twenty-four hours a day to benefit all sentient beings, because of the strength that comes from joy.
The fifth branch of enlightenment is blissfulness and peacefulness of mind and body, as well as mental clarity. Having developed peacefulness, clarity, and blissfulness, there is nothing that can disturb or agitate our minds, and thus we can work continuously to benefit sentient beings. The sixth branch is samadhi, the profound meditative state, in which nothing can distract our minds. No matter what we are doing--walking, sitting, sleeping, or talking--we are able to maintain the state of samadhi.
The seventh branch of enlightenment is the perfect state of equanimity. We work to benefit all sentient beings equally, without any discrimination.... We do not discriminate between beings who are good to us and those who are trying to harm us. Having developed a perfect state of equanimity, we can always work spontaneously to benefit sentient beings, whether they praise us or blame us. When we have fully developed these seven branches of enlightenment, we have fully developed compassion as well. Since we have profound, sincere compassion, nothing can hinder us in benefiting sentient beings.
--from Dharma Paths by Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche, trans. by Ngodup Burkhar and Chojor Radha, ed. by Laura M. Roth

:)
TI

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  07:53:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think I want that. I have been struggling with a similar issue lately. I am starting to remember a lot that I had previously forgotten. I've lived over sixty years so far, and that's a lot of memories. i had forgotten a lot of it, and that was just fine because to remember it all seems like a burden; I still have half my life to live and generate new memories. So now when it is all coming back it seems like too much. I kinda prefer just forgetting and paying attention to new stuff.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  09:54:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HA! Well, I recognize elements of each of the other "branches" listed there, but the perfect memory one indicates that I am actually going *backwards* on this journey! Hahaha. My memory has gotten worse and worse and worse over the past 3.5 years of AYP practice. Now, I can rarely remember what day it is, what I did this morning (let alone what I did yesterday or last week!), what has to be done later today, or anything other than what is happening in this moment now (and even that is patchy at best! ). Oh well... guess I'll just have to settle for "partial enlightenment."

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Kim

Finland
56 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  10:56:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kim's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have the same symptons as Carson does. But my memory was perfecto when I was a kid so I think I might have been enlightened then :D

I remembered a funny story of Lahiri Mahasaya. He was a vegetarian hindu all his life but once he ate fish at some devotees house. As another devotee heard this, he happened to be a fish cook, he invited the master to his house to have a good meal and master came. As Lahiri Baba sat down to eat, he raised his eyebrows and said in astonishment, "I am a vegetarian. I don't eat fish!". The devotee said, also astonished "But gurudev you ate fish just last week at other disciples home..." "Oh really, did I..." :D

Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  12:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My memory is perfect...

It is accessing it, where I get confused.

Have a great weekend.

Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  2:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the expectation of perfect memory is just as much an illusion as expecting perfection in enlightenment :)

- Near
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  4:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I've lived over sixty years so far,

well in your profile picture you dont seem that old

nice story Kim

Edited by - maheswari on Dec 02 2011 4:11:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  7:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Maheswari. Or maybe you are joking about my altered blue avatar picture; only the middle is my face. But I do look younger than my age and people talk about it all the time and I wish they wouldn't.
Like carson, I tend to forget anything not in the moment also, but then stuff I forgot comes back later for no apparent reason.

I kept a diary for quite a few years of only spiritual experiences and/or extremely weird stuff that happened to me. I am always surprised looking at that book because I forgot all of it. Scenery I guess.
What is strange is the experiences that are so meaningful that I think "OMG, this is it - my life will never be the same! I can always refer back to this and my perception will be different." I forgot all of those the same as everything else.
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  10:46:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So, does this mean all chimpanzees are enlightened?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7124156.stm
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  11:17:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hahahaha steve couldnt control my laughter. well I feel iam not near to E of Enlightenment.

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  12:49:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot the original question.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  02:00:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
me too i tend to forget anything not in the moment ...this was NOT the case before yoga practices...i became aware of that when currently i meet my mum once per week i want to summarize to her what i did during the week i really find lots of blanks ...then i need some time to remmeber lolllz...sometimes i dont....
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  02:15:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You guys got me scared.... I am planning to prepare for an exam that's known to be pretty tough

Is it like yoga makes you carry less baggages by freeing you from unnecessary details, or you tend to forget important things also?
Go to Top of Page

Mikananda

USA
90 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  06:34:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you can remember the sixties, then you weren"t there.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  08:04:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Swan

You guys got me scared.... I am planning to prepare for an exam that's known to be pretty tough

Is it like yoga makes you carry less baggages by freeing you from unnecessary details, or you tend to forget important things also?

Don't worry - my mind actually works better. I am better at remembering things that are important, and anything that I want to remember for a good reason. Yes, it is the unnecessary things that I forget, so that frees up brain cells for important stuff.
It's the "use it or lose it" concept. If you study a lot, the brain becomes good at studying. Of course if your study methods are bad, the brain will be good at bad methods.

Edited by - Etherfish on Dec 03 2011 09:11:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  09:24:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Don't worry - my mind actually works better. I am better at remembering things that are important, and anything that I want to remember for a good reason. Yes, it is the unnecessary things that I forget, so that frees up brain cells for important stuff.

same over here...
Go to Top of Page

Mikananda

USA
90 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  10:37:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It has been said that Ananda. The Buddha's main disciple. Could recite word for word every sutta given by the Glorious One. I guess by this discussion we would have to say that he was enlighten.

Edited by - Mikananda on Dec 04 2011 08:43:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  10:39:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't usually remember what I did the day before without pondering long and hard. Last week may as well be last year.

Swan: it wasn't much different during school either, but the info did stay well primed, at least for a little while.
Go to Top of Page

Mikananda

USA
90 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  10:53:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Smriti means literally "that which is remembered." In essence that is what we are doing in yoga. remembering who we are. The fact is we do not learn anything. We unlearn ignorance .
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  12:20:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks guys... it's relieving to know

I am also experiencing much less stress (unnecessary stream of thought), while fulfilling all my responsibilities with a much lighter heart....
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  4:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Me too. and stress effects so many things in our lives negatively; if stress reduction was the only thing meditation did it would be worth it.

Edited by - Etherfish on Dec 03 2011 4:16:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mikananda

USA
90 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  08:46:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Tibetan_Ice

Hi,
The next time someone tells you that they are enlightened, ask them if they have a photographic memory...

quote:

From the first bhumi to the sixth bhumi (stage on the bodhisattva path), the individual develops what is known as the seven branches of enlightenment. The first branch of enlightenment is a perfect memory, such a strong memory that there is no chance for us to forget anything, even if someone tries to make us forget. We remember not only what is happening now, but what we have to do later and what we did earlier, very clearly and precisely.
The second branch is the wisdom of seeing all phenomena as they are. When we see things as they are instead of the way they appear to be, we have no confusion about whether they are right or wrong. The third branch of enlightenment is diligence, and especially diligence in working ceaselessly to benefit sentient beings. The fourth branch is developing not only diligence, but also perfect joy in working for beings. Laziness never overcomes us; we can work twenty-four hours a day to benefit all sentient beings, because of the strength that comes from joy.
The fifth branch of enlightenment is blissfulness and peacefulness of mind and body, as well as mental clarity. Having developed peacefulness, clarity, and blissfulness, there is nothing that can disturb or agitate our minds, and thus we can work continuously to benefit sentient beings. The sixth branch is samadhi, the profound meditative state, in which nothing can distract our minds. No matter what we are doing--walking, sitting, sleeping, or talking--we are able to maintain the state of samadhi.
The seventh branch of enlightenment is the perfect state of equanimity. We work to benefit all sentient beings equally, without any discrimination.... We do not discriminate between beings who are good to us and those who are trying to harm us. Having developed a perfect state of equanimity, we can always work spontaneously to benefit sentient beings, whether they praise us or blame us. When we have fully developed these seven branches of enlightenment, we have fully developed compassion as well. Since we have profound, sincere compassion, nothing can hinder us in benefiting sentient beings.
--from Dharma Paths by Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche, trans. by Ngodup Burkhar and Chojor Radha, ed. by Laura M. Roth

:)
TI

"'Enlightenment is perfectly realized neither by the body nor by the mind. Enlightenment is the eradication of all marks. Enlightenment is free of presumptions concerning all objects. Enlightenment is free of the functioning of all intentional thoughts. Enlightenment is the annihilation of all convictions. Enlightenment is free from all discriminative constructions. Enlightenment is free from all vacillation, mentation, and agitation.

Enlightenment is not involved in any commitments. Enlightenment is the arrival at detachment, through freedom from all habitual attitudes. The ground of enlightenment is the ultimate realm. Enlightenment is realization of reality. Enlightenment abides at the limit of reality.

Enlightenment is without duality, since therein are no minds and no things. Enlightenment is equality, since it is equal to infinite space.

"'Enlightenment is un-constructed, because it is neither born nor destroyed, neither abides nor undergoes any transformation. Enlightenment is the complete knowledge of the thoughts, deeds, and inclinations of all living beings. Enlightenment is not a door for the six media of sense. Enlightenment is unadulterated, since it is free of the passions of the instinctually driven succession of lives. Enlightenment is neither somewhere nor nowhere, abiding in no location or dimension. Enlightenment, not being contained in anything, does not stand in reality. Enlightenment is merely a name and even that name is unmoving. Enlightenment, free of abstention and undertaking, is energy-less. There is no agitation in enlightenment, as it is utterly pure by nature. Enlightenment is radiance, pure in essence. Enlightenment is without subjectivity and completely without object. Enlightenment, which penetrates the equality of all things, is undifferentiated. Enlightenment, which is not shown by any example, is incomparable. Enlightenment is subtle, since it is extremely difficult to realize. Enlightenment is all-pervasive, as it has the nature of infinite space.

Enlightenment cannot be realized, either physically or mentally. Why? The body is like grass, trees, walls, paths, and hallucinations. And the mind is immaterial, invisible, baseless, and unconscious.'

Vimalakirti Nirdesa Sutra
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  09:16:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice definition, but it sets the bar so high that it's pretty hopeless for most people. We would need to make up new words for going part way there. We would need a word for people who live a normal life and do a normal job, but have made enough progress with meditation that they feel the burden has been lifted from their back, and they are at peace with their life and connected with their ishta.
Go to Top of Page

Mikananda

USA
90 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  09:53:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very true my friend.

For me it is to easy to get caught up in the absolute state of the things. One needs to be cognizant (accept) where one is at. The fact that one even has the desire to be enlighten, is a state of enlightenment. Your statement reflects the current age we are in. In times past, yoga was limited to a very few. Those that could and were free of worldly responsibilities. Now, however it is available to "householders." That is part of the underlining message in AYP. You do your sitting practices twice a day for 30-45 minutes and go about your normal activites. However, I like to have an idea of where I am going with all this. I have discovered that there are very few things that I can't do. However, there numerous things that I won't. Remember, if you think you can't make it in this lifetime, the chances are pretty good that you won't. Part of my intention with my prior post was to response to Tibetan Ice's quote from Dharma Paths .

Edited by - Mikananda on Dec 04 2011 10:02:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  11:14:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Mikananda Remember, if you think you can't make it in this lifetime, the chances are pretty good that you won't.

Then there are some of us who aren't interested in "making it". We are just living life day by day, and that's enough.
Go to Top of Page

Mikananda

USA
90 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2011 :  07:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

quote:
Originally posted by Mikananda Remember, if you think you can't make it in this lifetime, the chances are pretty good that you won't.

Then there are some of us who aren't interested in "making it". We are just living life day by day, and that's enough.

Then why have this discussion in the first place?

"Making it" for this discussion is like to "grow." But to grow, means to grow towards something. Unless you are growing in circles (the great cycle of life).

Edited by - Mikananda on Dec 05 2011 08:05:24 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000