Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 ZaZen/Just Sitting Meditation/Samyama no sutras
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  2:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
All,

I am finding this kind of meditation (where you sit and do nothing) very interesting these days. It is known with many names. It is famous as an insight meditation practice for the Zen folks (just like Vipassana/Noting). This is similar to sitting in silence in Samyama but with no sutras at all. Just sitting. Adyashanti also proposes this as his "true meditation" method.

The only instruction for this is "No Manipulation". Dont watch your breath, Dont repeat a mantra, Dont concentrate on anything, Dont try to empty the mind, Dont observe anything, Just do not do anything. Let everything be as is and do not manipulate any part of your experience.

When thoughts come you dont do anything. When you realize you are caught up in a thought, you dont do anything. Ofcourse this means you do NOT continue the thought as continuing also means doing something. You do not put any effort to cut off the thought once you realize you are caught up in it. The very fact that you realized you are caught up in it means you are out of the thought. So you dont need to do anything.

I find this sitting and doing nothing very interesting.

This is similar to the deep meditation method without any mantra. In DM, we let everything be as is and whenever we realize, we come back to the mantra. In the Zazen method, we dont come back to anything. Not even to the idea of sitting. This is also similar to AYP samyama in the "sitting in silence" part.

- Near

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  3:01:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have also found it to be very useful. I just call it my "no thought" meditation. After a while, things just stop even passing by...

Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  6:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I tried this at a Soto Zen temple near my house here in Japan a few years back. I think the technique goes back to the story about the Bodhidharma sitting in front of a wall meditating until his legs rotted off. I find it very useful for short periods, but I tend to get caught up in contemplation or daydreaming after about 10 minutes or so.
Go to Top of Page

Kim

Finland
56 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  07:44:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kim's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shinzen Young put it nicely when he said that "As soon you become aware of an intention controlling attention, drop the intention". I happened to remember this while reading this topic.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  08:07:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I know people who do this kind of meditation. The good part is you don't have to worry about overload. they sometimes do it for 8 or 10 hours at a time. I think it is "relational" though (see Yogani's lessons) as it is a type of self inquiry, and will only be fruitful if yo have found inner silence first.
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  09:37:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zazen#Instruction

The formal procedure involves a concentration practice (breathing) and once concentration is developed then the just sitting practice (insight practice). This primarily comes from China

In the tibetan buddhist schools the idea is the same a concentration method followed by an insight practice. But the insight practice used there is the noting style (sitting & noting the sensations arising in you).

In both schools (zazen and tibetan), doing insight without concentration wouldnt be effective. Doing just concentration without insight will not produce enlightenment as per both the schools.

The noting method seems overwhelming to me compared to the zazen style just sitting method which seems more like practising letting go.
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  7:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
my preferred method too nearoanoke
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  12:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
but not now :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000