Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 bum heart
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  6:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
meditation has definitely reduced my anxiety and depression. But I had a heart attack scare today (hopefully it passed) but while I was in the hospital I found myself almost as afraid as I used to be. I know meditation is no miracle cure and I was less panicky than I used to be but things like this help me to remember not to delude myself. Meditation and AYP is wonderful but life is still life.
Thanks all,
L

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  6:30:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to hear about your heart attack scare. hope your OK.
I find it funny when the delusion of Zen collapses and life kicks me up the backside, it's like litmus paper and usually when it's not expected. Ah ha, back to the drawing board for you Mr Ego.
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  11:13:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wish you speedy recovery .... take care.

quote:
Originally posted by lmaher22

... things like this help me to remember not to delude myself. ... but life is still life.
Thanks all,
L

Thanks for sharing ....
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  08:20:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it is easy to expect things from meditation that aren't there. Becoming familiar with our own mortality is a very good exercise. Not much fun when you are thrown into it, however.
Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  11:00:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
L,
Yes, meditation is not a "miracle cure", BUT, within the constellation of yogic practices (which include meditation, asanas, samyama, pranayama, bhakti, dharma, etc...) we can draw curative effects over time. My story is an example. I became a Type 1 (Juvenile) diabetic nearly 50 years ago, during my childhood. At that time, they told me (I believe to "scare me straight") that if I took very good care of myself I could look forward to maybe 20 good years, followed by loss of kidney function, eyesight, limb amputations, cardiac disease and death by the age of 35. I began meditation over 40 years ago and I'm still going strong. Meditation did not cure me. I DID have a major heart attack, 13 years ago, and needed a triple cardiac by-pass, so in the end I did suffer cardiac disease, as predicted. But, instead of the 20-25 years they gave me at my diagnosis, I'm close to doubling that, and I seriously lay my very survival at the feet of my guru and my yogic practices, which I have followed with dedication for over 40 years. Nothing instant, all long-term cumulative. I could not escape being battered and bruised, but I have enjoyed a long and happy survival. Good luck!
Namaste,
Michael
Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  3:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all very much. I've had a couple of heart attacks previous, but this time I was thinking, 'dang, the older I get the closer to lights out for real'... But I guess it's just change, good or bad, just change.
Bless you all,
Larry
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  7:58:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, and please don't assume the worst. Some people do improve with age, by yoga, diet, and exercise.
Doctors mostly go by statistics that don't take those things into account, because most people don't follow those things very well, and drug companies don't sell them, so there's no big money to study them.
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  12:34:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Larry

Just had a brush with the grim reaper myself (nearly two weeks in hospital and only avoided brain surgery because there was no bed at another hospital where they had the facilities and surgical expertise to operate!)

Medical science has its place but if you ask a doctor "What is life?" they have no idea.

You're plugging into the source of life itself twice a day with your practice.

Assume the best
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  09:40:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Imher22 Sorry to hear about your heart attack.wish you good health and speedy recovery!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000