AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 External negative energy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  12:12:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello friends.

I've just got a burst of completely unsolicited negative energy from a friend. More a friend of my brother, but I suppose I do count him as a friend as well. I think he struggles with a lot of negative energy due to some circumstances in his life, and this was obviously a projection of it onto any easy target. Anyway, he was basically blaming me for being in a bad mood or whatever his problem was at the moment. This is all fine. The part that has sparked some self-inquiry for me is that it really deeply upset me. It is still with me a little bit an hour later here.

I can't figure out why. It's not OK for other people to be able to make me feel badly outside of my control. One solution is to distance myself from it. Excommunicate my so called friend, or any source of external negativity. Squelch any negativity. But that's really treating the symptom instead of the root problem.

I want a way to feel good even when life is taking a dump on my head. I still can't really condense it down into an opening, but it won't leave me alone, it's really bothering me that I'm susceptible to this, and there's something valuable to learn here. I just don't quite get it yet.

How can I be impervious to that negativity, and at the same time still be open and trusting of the world? That's the kernel of it.

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  03:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That feeling just emphasises that more work needs to be done. Don't try and distance yourself as it will just develop deeper roots and greater energy. Just touch it and let it unfold like a flower bud in stillness. It will be revealed as an object only and will wither under scrutiny.
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  9:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I hope you're right someday, karl. Last night it unfolded like a road rage incident rather than a flower bud.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  03:21:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JDH and Karl, I think the following piece of a Q&A relates to what you posted dear JDH.

I've sent the following question to three persons. Two of which were AYP replies... Where to sum it up, the answer was that by daily practice all will turn out well in the end. And you would be free and untouched from outside events.

Then there is my friend\teacher reply, who is along the lines of the direct approach i.e. Traditional Advaita:

How do you handle feeling other people's energies? I seem to have become very sensitive to this sort of thing, It's like there was a barrier between me and people that is now gone. I just feel the fabric of their matrix. I sense awareness within all but it's the density of the clouds outside. Don't know if you can relate to such terms. Anyways this is causing me headaches when in the presence of certain people. Especially the ones who feel negative and whom I usually have to meet during my work.

You handle other people's feeling the same way you handle yours, by welcoming them. This is a good example of why we should not try to resist and get rid of our own negative feelings, because even if we did and succeeded, our body is not an isolated system, we still have to be in society, and be exposed to others feelings. So the best approach is to welcome all feelings knowing that our Peace does not depend on them. The more you succeed the more people will feel better around you, and teaching becomes mostly silent and natural, and irrelevant really, you love them but you don't really care if they get it or not, or if they admire you or not. It sounds harsh and devoid of love, but if you think about it deeply, you will find that it is the best approach because it keeps you and them free, and is devoid of the selfish will to change them.

Hope this helps

On the other hand, Francis Lucille says that these circumstances like the one you went through are true yoga. Or your yoga homework. But too much Yoga is not so fun

Or he might put it in other words like he does sometimes, quote: "Why didn't you get out of there sooner."

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  04:39:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JDH

I hope you're right someday, karl. Last night it unfolded like a road rage incident rather than a flower bud.

that's exactly right and you have to accept it. It's a great teacher if you are prepared to listen. You have to accept being hurt if you want to be a great warrior. It's all in the training, listen to what the teacher is telling you no matter how uncomfortable it makes you feel. It will always be right.

As Ananda said, you can see that as welcoming the thoughts and feelings or any other way that helps you get them out in the light and explore your reactions and emotions. If you try and stuff them in a sack, or you let them decide your outward responses they will increase in power because you have refused to deal with them in the most direct way.
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  4:46:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Try making him your guru, what can you learn and see in him?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000