Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 can kechari cure depression
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2011 :  5:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I can do kechari since 2005. I can do all the stages comfortably. In-between, while going through a tough life situation, I stopped all practices but started again. So here is my question, if kechari can stimulate ecstatic conductivity then doesn't it seem natural it should cure depression and make one more energetic and outgoing. My experience is not quite that and so is my question. I feel the pleasurable sensation though but it is not permanent. It comes and goes. And at the same time my general discontent and lack of involvement with life remains. Sometime I feel both of them at the same time i.e. there is this pleasurable sensation/ecstatic conductivity and also the discontent with life/depression existing simultaneously. So what is the solution? I also feel it makes me more introverted as I find myself not like talking and socializing as much and just be in the kechari. And mind doesn't agree that that is the right thing to do. The fear that it is going to make me more and more lonely in future. Those yogis who live in seclusion somehow find the bliss that doesn't make them seek the world. My dilemma is what if I neither find the bliss nor will I have the world

Also, hathayoga pradipika talks about so many wonderful things about kechari which is not in my experience. Is it anyone else's? I don;t dent the benefit as there is some kind of centeredness that I experience which is not without. But what about all those wonderful experiences described in the scripture. Are they only there to encourage people to practice or is there any truth in it?

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2011 :  8:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kechari is not a magic cure all. It is one of your yogic tools. I seriously doubt that it can cure depression unless one is depressed about not being able to accomplish it! In my personal experience I still experience just as many emotional ups and downs as before and sometimes more as old stuff gets dredged up. Possibly a comprehensive AYP practice will alleviate depression but you might have to expect it to worsen for some time as deeper emotional scenery is released. I am personally opposed to people touting yoga as a cure for anything. That is marketing, a PR ploy. Symptoms may go away, that is very possible but yoga is more of a continued development of the self rather than a cure for anything specific. that's my opinion anyway.
Go to Top of Page

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2011 :  4:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ok, tell me then, what is the relation between ecstasy, bliss and depression or discontent. Doesn't the first two exclude the other? And if yoga would make you ecstatic and blissful, isn't it logical to assume that it would treat depression, discontent etc. Like jaggi vasudev says, it puts your life in self start rather than push start.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2011 :  9:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't say that it was impossible, just that one shouldn't expect it and also that in my experience it hasn't worked that way. In my case depression is often situational. When my life is overwhelming I can get depressed. Yoga practices may help to keep ones balance, but you also need to deal with the cause. Also, the process of purification may bring up held emotions that don't necessarily feel good being revealed. In some cases a person may have a very delicate stability that can become destabilized (at least temporarily) by the process of opening the energy flows or quieting the mind. That's why in the long run these practices are deeply beneficial, but in the short run I would not give people expectations of relieving symptoms.
I too have felt that these practices have made me more introverted as well and in some ways less involved in outer life. Is this good or bad? I don't think that there is an answer, it depends on ones situation, responsibilities, intensity of practice etc. You just need to be sensitive to your own process and self pace as necessary.

Edited by - Victor on Dec 27 2011 9:02:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2011 :  08:08:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kechari will increase the energy flow and if you have a lot of obstructions in your system still, it can cause depression (too much purification happening all at once)... that is why it is considered an advanced practice. The high is followed by the low. The higher the high using khechari, the lower the low. Just keep that in mind. Do kechari, but in moderation along with your practices.
What practices do you do?
Go to Top of Page

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2011 :  11:51:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I do kriya yoga combined with ayp-style deep meditation with "IAM". You mentioned "higher the high lower the low". Probably that's true. I was expecting as the highs increase the lows will improve too! i.e. today's low will be better than yesterday's and so on but it's not happening that way. I intellectually understand where the depression come from, the desires and expectations etc., and I am aware of sedona method and Byron Katie's work but after a while they just become intellectual exercise and are not giving the experiential understanding, as yogani says relational self-enquiry. I was hoping to get the experience of that that all is well and as it is supposed to be. And I was hoping the kechari will show you how to be blissful in your own nature rather than external factors to bring you happiness.
Go to Top of Page

TalabyaKriya

Portugal
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  03:57:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
gentletp my cent is that if you have discontent thoughts and emotions why not try to tackle those in deep meditation?
kechari might not cure underlying negative thinking, for that an analisis would be necessary who knows even by a psychanalyst.

I understand as me too sometimes have a tendency to invest too much on the spiritual and too little on the material/social...
Go to Top of Page

khechari

Ukraine
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  02:22:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Khechari has nothing to do with curing any negative appearences - for sure! My experience of many years.
Go to Top of Page

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  6:22:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been trying to put some reason behind my experiences. Here is what I find. Kechari amplifies anything that is going inside you by many folds. If I am feeling blissful, it amplifies that. If I am feeling depressive it amplifies that...
Go to Top of Page

yogishankar

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  7:22:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Khecari Mudra is the best of the best of all mudras, as per Swami Sivananda, Guru of Swami Satyananda Saraswathi.

Khechari Mudra stimulates a number of pressure points located in the back of the mouth and the nasal cavity. These points influence the whole body.

I don't think that it can cure depression. Depression is a mind matter.

Edited by - yogishankar on Jul 01 2012 7:49:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  8:33:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
They are all related somehow. energy affects mind, mind affects emotion, emotion affects body and also it goes the reverse way. We can only talk about our experience. If it is not in your experience you wouldn't know.

Edited by - gentlep on Jul 01 2012 8:48:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogishankar

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  9:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My experience with Kheceri mudra is normal. I lead my life in normal way, I don't see any change in myself.

Probably in the initial days, I sensed that my saliva production increased , now it does not bother

Edited by - yogishankar on Jul 03 2012 09:09:52 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000