Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Repeating vs. listening to the Mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

richilincez

Italy
24 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  04:25:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello dear everybody,

this morning, as I meditated, saìomething slightly different from usual happened. Instead of repeating the mantra, I noticed how, after I said it once, that my mind was repating it by itself. So, instead of repeating it over and over "actively", and going back to repetition whenever I lost it, my role became that of moving my attention to the mantra that was repeating in my mind, favoring it.

Normally, even as I actively repeat the mantra, the speed, the form of it and so change, and I allow them. In this case, being that it "resonated" by itself, its modifications were much quicker, with less interference.

My question is which way is the correct method.

Thank you

Riccardo

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  04:48:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Richilincez,

No need to get hung up on which is best. Each time might be different. Just as you allowed the Mantra to change when you were actively repeating it, then this is just another variation of that. Fast, slow, loud, soft, active, passive.

Your mind will tell you something is better or worse, more effective or less effective, faster or slower. Accept, but ignore the minds attempts to rationalise, as it tries to gain control over the process. It will tell you that it knows what's best.......it's guessing
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  04:53:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Karl gave you sound advice....
all the best
Go to Top of Page

richilincez

Italy
24 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  05:19:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you,

somehow I already guessed that could be the answer, like always in DM. "just go back to the mantra"

Thank you again

Riccardo
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  08:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You know how the advice is to go back to the mantra - I had a strange experience during my morning session - which was full of thoughts... by the way ....I realised at one point I was way deep in these thoughts and tried to come back to the mantra and I just could not find the mantra - it was lost...

I just let my mind go with the thoughts again and eventually could come back to the mantra!
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  08:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mathurs

You know how the advice is to go back to the mantra - I had a strange experience during my morning session - which was full of thoughts... by the way ....I realised at one point I was way deep in these thoughts and tried to come back to the mantra and I just could not find the mantra - it was lost...

I just let my mind go with the thoughts again and eventually could come back to the mantra!

Once, when I was very young, I concentrated so hard on the meaning of a word that I lost the word. That was alright until I realised I had managed to lose my entire vocabulary by doing it, I was unable to speak for several minutes until it all came back to me. Very scary.

Like you say, when it gets like that then just go with whatever and it comes back.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000