Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Samyama questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  9:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've really been focusing on working out a few kinks in myself lately. Is it 'OK' to add two or three 'personal' sutras to our samyama practice? When I say personal I really mean things/issues that are still roadblocks to my spiritual advancement. For example I have long had a certain element of fear in my life and it has recently found it's way into my work. Would adding the sutra 'fear' or perhaps 'courage' be appropriate? What about other things we personally value such as 'self discipline' or 'beauty' or 'clarity'?

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  05:07:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Littleturtle.
Have been doing AYP samyama with the AYP sutras ? if you are - then are you well settled into the practice -as in established and been doing samyama for a while? If you have been and you are inclined to add a personal sutra then you are on an experimental ground and so add one personal sutra and see the results overtime. If all is going well then add another and so on....
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  08:58:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi LittleTurtle,

Adding personal sutras is fine. But make sure that you focus on the cause and not the symptom. Fear is usually a defense reaction to some deeper issue. It may seem weird, but courage helps you "push" past fear, but doesn't "deal with" fear. Acceptance of the root concern/issue can remove the basis for fear.

Peace & Love.
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  12:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I've been doing the DM and samyamas for some time now. I do feel fairly aware of the root causes of my issues. Mostly leftovers from a rough childhood and youth and frankly I'm surprised how tenacious some issues can be. They pop up at any vulnerable moment and yank the rug out from under me. Thanks for the replies.
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  1:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies!
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  03:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would never use a negative phrase such as "fear". I would prefer 'confidence" or "ease". don't imprint negativity into your psyche that way. Even "fearlessness" should be avoided as the word "fear" would sink in
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  03:54:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
the main sutras already include the word Strenght
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000