New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  8:49:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'd realised the need to re-establish a practice in my life and signed up to a month-long Jhana retreat just before stumbling across AYP.

Can anyone shed any light on jhana and nirvikalpa samadhi please?

Specifically the relationship between them - if any?

Also how do these concepts relate to what's being taught here?

BTW, as a newbie, I can't find a search facility on this board. Am I blind?

Thanks in anticipation.

chit-ananda51

India
127 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  10:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can only shed light on where you can find the 'Search box' - it is at the top just next to FORUM FAQ.

As for Jhana and Nirvikalpa Samadhi... some other members will pitch in.
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  5:05:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for restoring my sight
Go to Top of Page

chit-ananda51

India
127 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  10:56:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gatito,

Nirvikalpa samadhi/Jhana , in Indian context refers to 'undifferentiated consciousness' (Nir - no ; kalpa - difference) - sort of non-dual awareness; state of pure radiant being.

Buddhists refer to IT as spontaneous naked awareness or luminous emptiness - though words stop before THAT.

AYP'ers are used to the term pure bliss consciousness. (Search for Inner silence within the forum on cultivating IT daily..).

Go to Top of Page

Vayu

USA
40 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  11:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes, I too wonder if the end states of Yoga and Buddhism are the same? For example, is Kaivalya the same as Nirvana?
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  7:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks chit-ananda51

That's very helpful.

Can I ask a supplementary question please?

There are supposed to be eight "levels" of Jhana. Do you know how these relate to nirvikalpa samadhi?

My own sense is that eighth jhana is the "equivalent" of nirvikalpa samadhi (i.e. "Consciousness without objects" or "Consciousness shining in its own Light") but I have never found anyone who can give me any kind of answer to this question at all. You are the first person who I've found who has helped me with this investigation and I'm hoping that you may be able to help me a bit more.

I have yet to search the forums properly but I will certainly do so and if you are unable to shed any further light, you have already helped m immensely with your previous answer, so thank you again.
Go to Top of Page

chit-ananda51

India
127 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  11:56:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gatito

I am not familiar with levels of Jhana experientially. However I will point to 'Kashmir Shaivism' texts for getting more clarity on levels or planes of consciousness descent from Spirit into matter. I have also read works by Sri Aurobindo/Sri Ramalinga Adigalar who were able to classify levels in the mental plane.

In AYP, not much importance is given to distinguishing between levels of samadhi achieved.

If you can let me know from which source you got to know about the eight levels, it can help me/others to chime in and reply to your query.

On a side-note, I am not very familiar with Buddhist terminologies though.
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  10:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by gatito

Thanks chit-ananda51

That's very helpful.

Can I ask a supplementary question please?

There are supposed to be eight "levels" of Jhana. Do you know how these relate to nirvikalpa samadhi?

My own sense is that eighth jhana is the "equivalent" of nirvikalpa samadhi (i.e. "Consciousness without objects" or "Consciousness shining in its own Light") but I have never found anyone who can give me any kind of answer to this question at all. You are the first person who I've found who has helped me with this investigation and I'm hoping that you may be able to help me a bit more.

I have yet to search the forums properly but I will certainly do so and if you are unable to shed any further light, you have already helped m immensely with your previous answer, so thank you again.

Hi Gatito, :)
I would say that the fourth jhana is nirvikalpa samadhi due to the fact of stoppage of breathing..

quote:

4th Jhana
Finally, we arrive at the last of the fine Material Jhanas. Here we are left only with the last Jhanic factor of one-pointedness accompanied by equanimity. Whenever there is only one-pointedness, it must be associated with its twin ---equanimity. He is totally absorbed with the breathing: he and the breathing are one. At this stage, there is neither mental bliss nor grief. There is also no physical pain or pleasure. There is only specific neutrality: free from attachment and aversion. And at the very late stage of 4th Jhana, the yogin may think he is not breathing, but the fact is that he is breathing, albeit very, very slowly and shallowly. As one progresses through all the stages of Jhana, one's breathing automatically becomes shallower and slower until it appears that the yogin is not breathing, both to himself and to the observer."

Here is the link that that is from. It is a terse rendition of the levels of jhanas, but it does explain the differences between the material jhanas and the immaterial jhanas:
link: http://www.kktanhp.com/samatha.htm

Here is another more elaborate explanation of the jhanas.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/...heel351.html

For me, the interesting thing about the jhanas is that part of their formula is that they are produced by applied and sustained thought, which is very similar to Patanjali's three steps of concentration, meditation and samadhi as mentioned in Patanjali's Yoga Sutras.

From the first link:
quote:

The five Jhanic factors are: (1) Applied Thought (2) Sustained Thought (3) Rapture (4) Mental Bliss (5) One-pointedness with Equanimity.

From the second link:
quote:

The mind's absorption on its object is brought about by five opposing mental states — applied thought, sustained thought, rapture, happiness and one pointedness — called the jhana factors (jhanangani) because they lift the mind to the level of the first jhana and remain there as its defining components.

:)
TI
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  12:25:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gatito and all,

quote:

I'd realised the need to re-establish a practice in my life and signed up to a month-long Jhana retreat just before stumbling across AYP.

Can anyone shed any light on jhana and nirvikalpa samadhi please?

Specifically the relationship between them - if any?

Also how do these concepts relate to what's being taught here?

quote:

My own sense is that eighth jhana is the "equivalent" of nirvikalpa samadhi (i.e. "Consciousness without objects" or "Consciousness shining in its own Light")

You've got some useful replies already.

The word jhana is Pali and means meditation... the Sanskrit is dhyana. Samadhi means unity (from sam-a-dhi: coming together). A vikalpa is a fluctuation, so one translation of nirvikalpa is "without fluctuation". So nirvikalpa samadhi is a state of unity without fluctuation. Fluctuations are movements, and movements always happen in the mind. So nirvikalpa samadhi is a state of unity beyond the mind. This is equivalent to the eighth jhana in Buddhist terminology.

In terms of what we are doing here at AYP, it is the same thing... darana (concentration), dhyana (meditation), samadhi (unity). These are the last three of the eight limbs of yoga.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  9:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you to you all.

I've spent nearly 30 years trying to find an answer to this question.

At last, I've been given the final missing pieces to the puzzle (and far more than I ever expected to find in this lifetime! ).

I'll certainly follow-up all the suggestions including the pointer towards Kashmiri Shaivism, which I've come across on the non-duality circuit in the last few years but never really looked into properly, although I had intended to go on a retreat with Francis Lucille in Paris this Christmas because I understand that this formed part of his Path via Jean Klein (his teacher). As I've spent a great deal of time with Rupert Spira (Francis's student) exploring the Direct Path teachings of Krishna Menon, I was curious to meet Francis personally and to find out directly about the Kashmiri Yoga, which I had heard he teaches.

Regarding where I found information on the eight levels of Jhana: -

There were a few sources all leading back ultimately to Pa Auk Sayadaw http://www.paaukforestmonastery.org/index.htm via his students: -

Tina Rasmussen and Stephen Snyder http://www.jhanasadvice.com and their books and

Shaila Catherine http://imsb.org/about/teachers.php via her book Focused and Fearless.

I recently bought her latest book Wisdom Wide and Deep but since coming across AYP, my interest in pursuing the Path of Jhana has ended (because I've found the Deep Meditation to be exactly what I was looking for and Jhana seems to be extremely hard to learn!! ) I haven't got round to reading Wisdom Wide and Deep yet, although on skimming through, it seems excellent if you want to pursue the Jhana/Vipassana Path. It's also of great interest to me because my wife teaches Mindfullness and I don't really understand it very well! . However, at the moment, I'm devouring yogani's books and lessons and I feel that I've more than enough to learn here in this lifetime, although I'm still very interested in "comparative religion" (for want of a better description) and I guess that at some time in the future I'll study Wisdom Wide and Deep.

Having found AYP just before going off to the States on a month-long Jhana retreat has been a real stroke of luck (if there is any such thing ) AYP and its membership are a truly priceless resource.

Thank you all again.
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  11:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gatito :)

quote:
Originally posted by gatito
although I had intended to go on a retreat with Francis Lucille in Paris this Christmas because I understand that this formed part of his Path via Jean Klein (his teacher). As I've spent a great deal of time with Rupert Spira (Francis's student) exploring the Direct Path teachings of Krishna Menon, I was curious to meet Francis personally and to find out directly about the Kashmiri Yoga, which I had heard he teaches.

If I had the chance to meet Francis I would certainly take it. Being in the presence of a realized being is one of the most elevating experiences that a person can have. I can see it in his eyes and feel it in his being.

quote:

Regarding where I found information on the eight levels of Jhana: -

Tina Rasmussen and Stephen Snyder http://www.jhanasadvice.com and their books and

I had a look at the instructions for anapansati on that site and I believe that they have missed the mark.
link: http://www.jhanasadvice.com/sitebui...ionsCard.pdf

Anapanasati is not about watching the breath although that is a minor part of it. It is about relaxing the body, being mindful of the body and letting go. One simply makes a note periodically to assess the breath. Here is a link to what is claimed as the 'correct' interpretation of anapanasati:

link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tripl...message/9675

quote:

Shaila Catherine http://imsb.org/about/teachers.php via her book Focused and Fearless.

I found that book kind of interesting but it fell down near the end when she starts downplaying the need to attain the immaterial jhanas (jhanas 5 to 8). By the time I finished that book, I had a bad taste in my mouth and felt that she was missing some important part. I wouldn't recommend her book at all. Instead I would read "Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond" by Ajahn Brahm and "Dharma Paths" by Khenpo:
link: http://www.amazon.ca/Dharma-Paths-K...p/1559390026

quote:

I recently bought her latest book Wisdom Wide and Deep but since coming across AYP, my interest in pursuing the Path of Jhana has ended (because I've found the Deep Meditation to be exactly what I was looking for and Jhana seems to be extremely hard to learn!! )

You will eventually pass through the jhanas as long as the technique has the depth to bring you there. It is called many things... samadhi, satori. Depends on the teaching.. Jhana is not that hard to learn. Beware of the 'easy ways' especially if your knowledge base is weak.

Here is an interesting quote about Buddha's awakening:
link: http://www.dhammasukha.org/Study/Bo...utta%202.pdf

quote:

After becoming a homeless one, the Bodhisatta went to
two different teachers of "concentration meditation". His
first teacher was Alara Kalama. After learning the Dhamma
and discipline, he practiced until he attained a very high and
distinguished stage of meditation called the "realm of
nothingness". The Bodhisatta then went to his teacher and
asked whether he could proceed any further with that
meditation. Alara Kalama replied that it was the highest
stage anyone could attained. The Bodhisatta was dissatisfied
and went to another teacher by the name of Uddaka
Ramaputta. He learned the Dhamma and discipline, then
practiced it and attained the "realm of neither-perception nor
non-perception". The Bodhisatta again went to his teacher
and asked a similar question about there being more to
attain. Again, the Bodhisatta was told that this was
absolutely the highest attainment anyone could achieve. The
future Buddha was disappointed because he saw that there
were still many more things to let go of. He observed that
these "concentration techniques", which focused intensely
on the object of meditation, caused tightening in mind. He
reasoned that there was still attachment whenever there was
tension in mind. He also noticed that if any part of the
experiences were suppressed or not allowed to arise, (This
occurs with every form of 'concentration'--that is, fixed
absorption concentration, or access concentration.) there
was still some kind of holding on or attachment to an ego
belief. Thus, after six long years of trying all of the various
spiritual and ascetic practices from body mortifications like
starving the body, to holding the breath, he realized that
these practices did not lead him to a calm and open mind
which was free from attachment and suffering.

On the night of the Bodhisatta's realization of the
supreme nibbana, he recalled an incident at a ploughing
festival while he was just a young boy of one or two years
old. When his attendants left him alone under a rose-apple
tree, he sat in "tranquil wisdom meditation" and experienced
a mind that was expanded and opened! He saw that this
form of meditation would lead him to the experience of
"tranquility jhanas" (as opposed to 'concentration
jhanas'). As a result of the "tranquil wisdom meditation",
his mind was filled with joy; his body became light and
happy. When the joy faded away, he then experienced
strong calmness and peacefulness. His mind and body
became very comfortable. His mind was very still,
composed, with sharp mindfulness and full awareness of
what was happening around him i.e., he could still hear
sounds and feel sensations with his body, etc., at that time.

When the Bodhisatta sat under the Bodhi tree to meditate
on the full moon night of May and made his great effort to
attain the supreme nibbana, he recalled that not all forms of
pleasure are unwholesome. He realized that there could be
pleasurable feelings arising in mind and body although there
was not any attachment to anything. That very night, the
Bodhisatta practiced "Tranquil Wisdom Meditation"
through the method of opening and expanding mind. In
short, he practiced the "Anapanasati" or "Mindfulness of
Breathing". And as we all know, he became the Buddha or
the supremely enlightened one.

Good luck with your search.

TI
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  01:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi :)

quote:
Originally posted by Christi
The word jhana is Pali and means meditation...

Where did you find that? I found this:
link: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/...heel351.html

quote:

Pivotal to both systems of meditation, though belonging inherently to the side of serenity, is a set of meditative attainments called the jhanas. Though translators have offered various renderings of this word, ranging from the feeble "musing" to the misleading "trance" and the ambiguous "meditation," we prefer to leave the word untranslated and to let its meaning emerge from its contextual usages. From these it is clear that the jhanas are states of deep mental unification which result from the centering of the mind upon a single object with such power of attention that a total immersion in the object takes place.

And later it says this:
quote:

In the vocabulary of Buddhist meditation the word "jhana" is closely connected with another word, "samadhi" generally rendered by "concentration." Samadhi derives from the prefixed verbal root sam-a-dha, meaning to collect or to bring together, thus suggesting the concentration or unification of the mind. The word "samadhi" is almost interchangeable with the word "samatha," serenity, though the latter comes from a different root, sam, meaning to become calm.

I disagree that nirvikalpa samadhi is the eighth jhana simply because nirvikalpa samadhi is characterized by stoppage of the breath and that occurs in the fourth jhana.
But I'm not here to argue about the variations of definitions from various traditions and how they have hindered good communication.

I am curious about something. Perhaps you can answer me because nobody else here seems to want to.

You said:
quote:

In terms of what we are doing here at AYP, it is the same thing... darana (concentration), dhyana (meditation), samadhi (unity). These are the last three of the eight limbs of yoga.

Christi

Here is AYP's definition of dharana (the bolding is mine):
link: http://www.aypsite.org/149.html

quote:

6. Dharana – It means "concentration or focus of attention," and is the first step in taking the mind inward through meditation. In the lessons, we don't hold the attention on anything for long. We just bring attention easily to an object (the mantra), and then let it go how it will. This brings attention almost immediately beyond the beginning perception for the object, which is what we want. The mind will take us inward if we give it the opportunity.

Christi, what is your interpretation of 'dharana'? Is it sustained concentration or is it 'touching the object of attention and then letting it go'?

When you meditate (do you do Deep Meditation?) do you make any effort to maintain constant awareness on the mantra? Do you put in effort? Do you sustain a constant stream of attention?

You know, I found this the other day about the TM style meditation and it seems that even back in 1972 there was a debate about this.

From "The Complete Yoga Book" by James Hewitt, page 449/450:

quote:

EFFORTLESS MEDITATION?
The Maharishi denies that the mind is controlled in Transcendental Meditation, and says that the mind moves naturally towards a field of greater happiness, which he calls bliss consciousness. This statement has led some of his followers to say that TM is not Yoga and that no Yogic concentration is involved. The Maharishi has certainly simplified and streamlined a technique of Yoga, and he has himself said many times that TM is his version of Yoga meditation. His teaching that ascetism, austerity, strong will-power, and iron discipline are not needed and that the natural movements of the mind can be harnessed is timely, and welcomed by the majority of people today. However, I think one should be cautious about saying that no control and no concentration are involved in it, and that it is not a form of concentrative Yogic meditation. The Maharishi has developed a particularly easeful method of meditation, but it seems to me to be clearly within the mainstream Yogic tradition.
The Maharishi's instruction to repeat a mantra mentally, and to go back to it when the attention is found to have wandered from it, is familiar in all forms of concentrative Yoga meditation.

Isn't there a kind of problem here? Isn't this all very easy to misinterpret?

I have found all of this very confusing, but this next excerpt from that same book has helped tremendously:

quote:

That there is more to this than just semantic confusion is clear from a few words (118) spoken by the Mahrishi in a television discussion which was transmitted by the British Broadcasting Corporation on 5 July, 1964: 'We, in meditation, don't make an effort. We allow the mind to get into these more effortless [sic] states, because in experiencing the subtlest state of thought, effort is less and less, and less, and less, and then no effort, absolutely no effort.'
So only the deeper stages of meditation are effortless. The dive may be effortless, but only after one has walked to the end of the springboard and made the jump in the correct manner. In TM the silent mantra provides the springboard. Similarily, Patanjali's dharana gives way to dhyana, which flows effortlessly into samadhi - what the Maharishi calls bliss consciousness.

Any logical mind would conclude that if the end-result is "absolutely no effort", and the progression to that state is "less and less effort" then it stands to reason that at the beginning of the progression there is effort.

So, if I interpret all of this correctly, when you first start out with mantra repetition, you have to put in effort. Your goal is to maintain a steady stream of attention on the mantra (or object of meditation). The longer you spend at it, the more other thoughts die down thus giving your focus more energy. Eventually, due to the extra energy and the controlled focus, it requires less effort to maintain a constant stream of attention at which point the balance between the extraneous thoughts (which have died down) and the focus of attention tips into the meditation stage and then you're on to samadhi.

I think that if you don't put in any effort at the start of meditation, you will inevitably cause a 'relaxation response', which is the mind's natural tendency to let go and fall asleep, which to me is not meditation. So, if you don't do the technique properly, you still get the benefit of taking a short cat nap, which of course is beneficial for your well-being, but it isn't Patanjali's last three limbs of yoga.

Comments?

TI
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  04:14:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey TI.

It seems like you already understand your own questions. Why keep asking questions you know the answer to? Do you feel that DM is not working? Or that you are doing it wrong? Does it matter if you are doing it wrong if it's working? Does it matter if DM does not match your interpretation of Patanjali if both methods work?

You can try and try and try and try try try so hard to concentrate for as long and as powerfully as you can, until you are FORCED to stop because you have spent all your efforts. In this forced period of no effort, no concentration - you are still fully aware.

You can concentrate so fully and so perfectly and so intently on an object until everything else drops away, and only the object remains. You can dissolve the object, and dissolve what's left of it, and dissolve the empty space where that was, and keep concentrating and refining down until NOTHING is left to concentrate on, and you are FORCED to stop. And in this forced period of no concentration - you are still fully aware.

Each time you enter this state of effortless, unfocused, full awareness is like a repetition. It doesn't matter how get there, as long as you keep getting there over and over again. The state naturally wants to happen, given the right conditions - and DM is an easy way of getting there.

DM allows for both of the above possibilities to sometimes occur. You easily concentrate, and easily refocus when you're off the mantra. It's easy on purpose. I don't think you reach samadhi each time you lose the mantra, but you do sometimes. But it's such little compared to the above methods, that there's a long term habitual tendency toward easily reaching the state of samadhi. An added bonus. Over many repetitions of occasionally going to samadhi, you begin to naturally let go of the concentration and just favor samadhi. The state is naturally favorable, and by using so little effort to begin with, it's that much easier to let go into that unfocused full awareness. Over months and years, that sometimes and occasional samadhi from DM becomes more frequent. That tiny bit of effort to pick up the mantra is all it takes, and wham, off into samadhi. If some other way seems easier or more complete to you, by all means do it. Most of the brilliance in the AYP system is in the twice daily consistent practice. If you use some other method of meditation that works for you, it will have the same effect over the long run, as long as you're using it daily.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  07:21:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
The word jhana is Pali and means meditation...

quote:
Where did you find that? I found this...

"From these it is clear that the jhanas are states of deep mental unification which result from the centering of the mind upon a single object with such power of attention that a total immersion in the object takes place."

Hi TI,

A state of deep mental unification which results from the centering of the mind upon a single object with such power of attention that a total immersion in the object takes place, is dhyana, and is meditation.

What we normally refer to as meditation where we sit on a cushion and think about things, is actually just preparation for meditation.

quote:

Christi, what is your interpretation of 'dharana'? Is it sustained concentration or is it 'touching the object of attention and then letting it go'?

Dharana is bringing the concentration onto an object. It is what we do in Deep meditation with the mantra, and what we do in samyama before that object is released into silence.

quote:

When you meditate (do you do Deep Meditation?) do you make any effort to maintain constant awareness on the mantra? Do you put in effort? Do you sustain a constant stream of attention?

Yes, I practice Deep Meditation. In the beginning effort is needed to bring the attention to the mantra. This is dharana. If no effort is used then the mind will just wander randomly from one thought to another. Effort is also needed to bring the mind back to the mantra when it wanders off onto thoughts. In time, the mind will rest more continuously on the mantra and will wander less. This is the beginning of sustained concentration. After more time the mind will begin to merge with the mantra. Very little effort is needed at this stage to hold the concentration on the mantra. This is dhyana (jhana).

At a certain point there will be no manta, no thoughts and no effort. This is samadhi. But there can still be events happening, lights, worlds, universes, luminous beings. Time and space can still appear to exist. This is savikalpa samadhi. Beyond the subtle celestial are the realms of pure light. These are beyond even time and space but still within the realms of savikalpa samadhi. Beyond these are the unmanifest, nirvikalpa samadhi. Very little can be said about this, it can only be experienced.

So in answer to your question about applied and sustained effort. It is as the Maharishi said, that over time, less and less effort is needed. Sahaja samadhi, which is the highest form of samadhi, is an effortless state. Pure joy, pure peace. No effort is required.

Try not to read too much, if you can help it. Just practice using the simple technique given in lesson 13. And enjoy.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  08:45:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Christi for the excellent description.

Go to Top of Page

chit-ananda51

India
127 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  11:46:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
An ounce of practice is worth tons of theory - Swami Sivananda

Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  12:27:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes - but the theory is very interesting!!!
Go to Top of Page

chit-ananda51

India
127 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  11:07:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes Gatito.. :) For the writings of Yogani have the potential to re-engineer genes of the present/future generation and to express divinity on Earth - when put to practice. I too dip myself and revel in good books/articles
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  11:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JDH :)

quote:
Originally posted by JDH

Hey TI.

It seems like you already understand your own questions. Why keep asking questions you know the answer to? Do you feel that DM is not working? Or that you are doing it wrong? Does it matter if you are doing it wrong if it's working? Does it matter if DM does not match your interpretation of Patanjali if both methods work?

Let's be clear here. It is not "my" interpretation of Patanjali's last three limbs of yoga, it is the commonly accepted interpretation which is Raja Yoga. AYP has diverted from the commonly accepted interpretation and so has the TM - Maharishi teaching.

I now understand the difference between the two techniques, and they are different. TM style meditation (such as the effortless DM) elicits the 'relaxation response'. It does not take you to superconsciousness. Instead, it takes you to the same place you go when you fall asleep. And yes, it can be said to work because the 'relaxation response' is hard to miss. It is a beneficial thing to do as it does refresh your mind especially at first. It is like taking a cat nap. I'm not putting it down and saying that it does not benefit human beings. The relaxation response is a great thing to do for health, well-being and is effective at reducing stress. It is a good thing to help people learn how to benefit themselves. But it is not Patanjali's last three limbs of yoga, nor does it produce siddhis or superconsciousness. Nor is it spiritual. It is a scientifically proven function of how the body/mind funtions. The relaxation response is basically training yourself to fall into conscious sleep.

quote:

You can try and try and try and try try try so hard to concentrate for as long and as powerfully as you can, until you are FORCED to stop because you have spent all your efforts. In this forced period of no effort, no concentration - you are still fully aware.

If you do this properly, you discover that kundalini kicks in with more energy when it's available. And yes, when the mind shuts off there is still awareness, and there are still things to be aware of like vast space, lights, colors, motion up to a point.

quote:

You can concentrate so fully and so perfectly and so intently on an object until everything else drops away, and only the object remains. You can dissolve the object, and dissolve what's left of it, and dissolve the empty space where that was, and keep concentrating and refining down until NOTHING is left to concentrate on, and you are FORCED to stop. And in this forced period of no concentration - you are still fully aware.

I can tell by your description that you have not experienced the state of samadhi that is produced by effortful concentration by sustaining awareness on only one point, because, if you had you would not say that the object dissolves. Nor would you say that you were "forced to stop". The stopping place is after the realization occurs, after you tap into the eternal source. When you are in the realization, you have no more will or motion. The stopping is when you finally come out of it on it's own.

In my experience, the object does not dissolve. Instead, everything gets extremely bright; the watcher, the watching and the object become one or fuse together. Then there is tremendous bliss and you are propelled into a state that is hard to describe. It can only be remembered that you were there. When you come back, your mind is super fast, like greased lightning. And then later, it is impossible to sleep, you just watch your body sleep while the clump of thoughts that is the mind keeps churning away. TM and DM do not do that, do they?

quote:

Each time you enter this state of effortless, unfocused, full awareness is like a repetition. It doesn't matter how get there, as long as you keep getting there over and over again. The state naturally wants to happen, given the right conditions - and DM is an easy way of getting there.

What do you mean by "full awareness"? Are you aware of all forms to infinity at once? Are you aware of all the planes and beings in all the planes? Have you ever experienced that?

Yes, it certainly is very easy. And the mind prefers "easy" to "hard". Isn't that human nature? The mind does like to fall asleep. But what state do you end up in? That is the point.

It is also written in "Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond - Ajahn Brahm", that the effort that is put into the initial part of meditation is the enertia that propels you into the higher stages of the jhanas, and you need that effort because once your mind shuts off you no longer have volitional control to go deeper.

quote:

DM allows for both of the above possibilities to sometimes occur. You easily concentrate, and easily refocus when you're off the mantra. It's easy on purpose. I don't think you reach samadhi each time you lose the mantra, but you do sometimes. But it's such little compared to the above methods, that there's a long term habitual tendency toward easily reaching the state of samadhi. An added bonus. Over many repetitions of occasionally going to samadhi, you begin to naturally let go of the concentration and just favor samadhi. The state is naturally favorable, and by using so little effort to begin with, it's that much easier to let go into that unfocused full awareness. Over months and years, that sometimes and occasional samadhi from DM becomes more frequent. That tiny bit of effort to pick up the mantra is all it takes, and wham, off into samadhi. If some other way seems easier or more complete to you, by all means do it. Most of the brilliance in the AYP system is in the twice daily consistent practice. If you use some other method of meditation that works for you, it will have the same effect over the long run, as long as you're using it daily.

I think the West has been fooled by the Maharishi and his TM-style of meditation. TM produces the "relaxation response", which of course if very beneficial to our stressed out society. The benefits of alleviating stress and helping people live more healthy and productive lives is a great benefit. But it is not Patanjali's last three limbs of yoga. And, the Maharishi's sales pitch has only served to muddy the waters of clear understanding of Raja Yoga. I don't believe that TM or DM take you to the same state that Patanjali is talking about. Do they?

The general impression that I get from reading these next two excerpts from the Maharishi, is that the Maharishi is saying that TM takes you directly to "Being", to Moksha, to enlightenment, and the challenge is to bring that state back to fill the mind with transcendence.
I just don't buy it. The Maharishi is saying that transcendence is the state of enlightenment. He is saying that by eliciting the relaxation response, you, anyone can experience enlightenment. I don't believe it. I guess that's my problem.

So how is TM-style mantra meditation to produce enlightenment?
The Maharishi said:
link: http://www.jyotish.ws/wisdom/review...hi_gita.html
quote:

How can one be established in Being? Through Transcendental Meditation, Maharishi says. The three gunas--sattwa, rajas, and tamas--represent the whole field of relative, changing life. Sattwa is purity, rajas is action, and tamas is dullness. The exact translation from the Sanskrit is somewhat difficult, but that is more or less correct. To be without the three gunas, one must transcend this life of Change and be established in the Eternal life of Brahman. How does one accomplish this? After many, many, many meditations, the mind, having dipped into the transcendental level of existence so often that it has become filled, so to speak, with that transcendence. Then the Absolute, non-changing level of life "sticks" to the mind such that it then never goes away. This we call moksha, or "Enlightenment."

Is this pure deception? Is the Maharishi saying that the transcendental state is the "Eternal life of Brahman"? Is he saying that TM will take you directly to the Absolute?

I have read so many buddhist texts that say that shamata, concentrative meditation resulting in samadhi, is not sufficient to produce enlightenment. Nor are the jhanas. Shamata must be used to attain superconsciousness, and then once the meditator has gained that state, the empowered mind is then turned towards self-inquiry. So, here the Maharishi is saying that constantly dipping into the transcendental state eventually causes it to stick to the mind "such that it then never goes away". Sounds way too easy, doesn't it? Just how many successful meditations (producing the "transcending state") does "many, many, many" mean? And, where is the self-inquiry in that?

This is a quote from the Maharishi from "The Complete Yoga" by James Hewitt, page 471/472:

quote:

The Maharishi says:
Mantenance of transcendental Self-consciousness along with activity in the waking state of consciousness requires co-existence of the two states of consciousness. The ability of man's nervous system, which is the physical machinery though which consciousness expresses itself, has to be developed to express these two states simultaneously. This is brought about by regularly interrupting the constant activity of the waking state of consciousness with periods of silence in trancendental consciousness. When, through this practice, the nervous system has been permanently conditioned to maintain these two states together, then the consciousness remains always centered in the Self.

The reasons that I don't believe what the Maharishi has said are these:
1) For many thousands of years, spiritual teachings have emphasized continuous effort/attention as the key that opens the gate to the eternal. Even, the continous effort of mindfulness and letting go. All of a sudden someone comes along and says "you don't have to perform any effort, you just repeat this one-sylable mantra, easily, effortlessly, and presto, you are there. And there is not even any religious or spiritual significance to the technique..

2) The Maharishi invented his technique not even more than 100 years ago. Why has nobody else ever written about that same meditation technique, including Buddha, Christianity, Taoism etc? I have never read anything similar to that technique before, claiming the things that it does, and I have read hundreds of books.

3) I have never heard about anyone becoming enlightened using TM but I have heard of TM meditators meditating for 40 years or more. Not only does that scare me but it also tells me that perhaps the method is not effective.

4) It follows that any meditation practice which is founded on the TM method of 'enlightenment' also is subject to these same arguments of disbelief.

That's what my problem is. I just don't believe it.

So, if somebody here has experience with both methods and can prove to me that effortless mantra repetition (relaxation response) takes you to the same place beyond superconsciousness, beyond the causal, into the atman, the soul, the purusha, the one, the Tao, then please let me know.

TI
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2011 :  12:02:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Hi TI,

A state of deep mental unification which results from the centering of the mind upon a single object with such power of attention that a total immersion in the object takes place, is dhyana, and is meditation.

What we normally refer to as meditation where we sit on a cushion and think about things, is actually just preparation for meditation.

quote:

Dharana is bringing the concentration onto an object. It is what we do in Deep meditation with the mantra, and what we do in samyama before that object is released into silence.

quote:

Yes, I practice Deep Meditation. In the beginning effort is needed to bring the attention to the mantra. This is dharana. If no effort is used then the mind will just wander randomly from one thought to another. Effort is also needed to bring the mind back to the mantra when it wanders off onto thoughts. In time, the mind will rest more continuously on the mantra and will wander less. This is the beginning of sustained concentration. After more time the mind will begin to merge with the mantra. Very little effort is needed at this stage to hold the concentration on the mantra. This is dhyana (jhana).

At a certain point there will be no manta, no thoughts and no effort. This is samadhi. But there can still be events happening, lights, worlds, universes, luminous beings. Time and space can still appear to exist. This is savikalpa samadhi. Beyond the subtle celestial are the realms of pure light. These are beyond even time and space but still within the realms of savikalpa samadhi. Beyond these are the unmanifest, nirvikalpa samadhi. Very little can be said about this, it can only be experienced.

So in answer to your question about applied and sustained effort. It is as the Maharishi said, that over time, less and less effort is needed. Sahaja samadhi, which is the highest form of samadhi, is an effortless state. Pure joy, pure peace. No effort is required.

Try not to read too much, if you can help it. Just practice using the simple technique given in lesson 13. And enjoy.

Christi

Hi Christi, :)
I appreciate the time and effort that you took to respond to my questions.

All the best.
TI
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2011 :  02:21:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
TI,

My questions were the important part of message, not my answers.

You are looking at the proverbial finger pointing at the moon. You have cut the finger off the hand, and dissected it into mangled pieces. I am done looking at the finger with you. This forum is full of people looking at the moon using DM. If some other method gets you to that state, use that method twice a day with appropriate pacing, and reap the same results. You don't have to believe it, you don't have to understand it, you just have to do it. It works anyway.
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2011 :  1:57:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
All,

TI brings up some interesting questions.

I had these questions too after I read some Buddhist books. Buddhism has two set of practices; Concentration practices & Insight Practices. The Concentration practices involve concentrating the mind upon an object single-pointedly and there are various levels (jhanas) and stages of achievement to it. These practices sharpen the mind but do not bring about awakening. The next set of practices are the Insight Practices and in these there are different practices like noting practice, observing the sensations (mind, body) and applying the three characteristics (Impermanence, Suffering/Unsatisfactoriness, No-Self) to each of the sensations that arise. These insight practices also have different levels (jhanas) and are supposed to show your reality and bring upon awakening finally.

The Buddhist folks often spend hours of meditation practices and even many retreats before they make progress. I am curious as to how DM/TM achieves the same effect with a two 20 min practices daily. The DM definitely feels full after twice daily practices though and it doesn’t look like a method that we can do hours together like the Buddhist practices without getting overloaded.

Also comparing these two methods, where does DM actually fall into? Is it a concentration practice or is it an insight practice? Buddhism clearly says that Concentration practices dont bring about awakening. I think DM should be much more than a concentration practice for sure. We definitely are not concentrating hard and trying to maintain attention on the mantra. Infact there are various mantra (loud-chanting and inner-repetition) methods that involve just concentrating on the mantra and I don’t think they'll bring about awakening. Someone on the forum earlier called DM a letting go practice and I believe that comes closer to what it is.

Comparing different systems may not be a good idea and not every system needs to fall in line with the Buddhist methods. It will be interesting to know how DM compares though especially as Patanjali’s Dharana and Dhyana fit well with the Buddhist Concentration and Insight practices.

- Near
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2011 :  2:10:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Hi Christi, :)
I appreciate the time and effort that you took to respond to my questions.

All the best.
TI

You're welcome.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2011 :  3:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Near,

AYP and Buddhist practices are not all that different. AYP makes use of breathing meditation and mantra meditation, and Buddhists also use both breathing meditations and mantra meditations. Buddhists use self-inquiry practices (insight meditations) and AYP uses self-inquiry practices.

DM is neither a concentration practice or an insight practice. Spinal Breathing pranayama is more of a concentration practice. Don't forget AYP isn't limited to Deep Meditation, just as Buddhism isn't limited to breathing meditation. By the time you add on asana practice, SBP, samyama, and savasana you can easily be looking at a one hour practice twice a day, or three times a day on retreat. And that doesn't include self-inquiry which in AYP is done as a separate practice outside of sitting practices.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2011 :  6:06:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link to the Buddhist Insight Practice called "Noting"

http://www.interactivebuddha.com/In...l%20size.pdf

quote:
Concept 1: Our sensate reality is the basis of insight practices. Reality is made of six kinds of sensations: physical sensations, sounds, sights, tastes, smells, and thoughts. These experiences are all we can know directly. When doing insight practice, reality is defined solely by what can be experienced in that moment. Corollary: Everything not experienced in that moment is assumed to not exist at that moment.
Practice: our first goal in insight practice is to identify the sensations that make up our life with attention that is steady and precise enough to get to know them very well.
In order to do this formally, clearly and consistently, we do a practice called “noting”. We make a quiet mental note of whatever we experience. We also try to stay with the sensations of breathing, either in the abdomen or at the tip of the nose when possible. If we notice the breath rising, we note “rising”. If we notice the breath falling, we note, “falling”. Similarly, we may note “thinking”, “wandering”, “feeling”, “hearing”, “seeing”, “smelling”, and “tasting”. When walking, we may note the “lifting”, “moving” and “placing” of our feet.
We may also note such experiences as “fear”, “happiness”, “pain”, “boredom”, “restlessness”, “doubt”, “wanting”, “hunger”, “confusion”, returning after these to the noting of the rising and falling of the breath.

Concept 2: The Three Characteristics of Impermanence, Suffering and No-self, are the key to deep insights. Impermanence means that many sensations arise and vanish completely during every second of awareness. Suffering means that the illusion of a watcher, observer, or doer, commonly called the “self”, is inherently painful. No-self means that all sensations arise on their own in a natural causal fashion and are aware where they are, requiring no separate agent or observer at all.
Practice: Once we have applied the first concept and gotten to know sensations as they are, then we can perceive them come and go, feel the painful tension inherent in the illusion of an observer or agent, and notice that sensations arise over there quite on their own, not requiring any observer or constituting either a self or other. They are merely part of the transient and causal nature of things.
The simple process of noting clearly and consistently, say at the rate of at least once per second, can stabilize attention enough that direct insight into the Three Characteristics arises. The corollary of this is that while we are lost in the content of our stories, dramas, thoughts, and concern for the specifics of what arises, we will not make good progress in insight. When we focus instead on the Three Characteristics of whatever arises, we will make progress in insight. Staying with the sensations of breathing is very helpful in this.

Note carefully and consistently for the duration of the meditation period, focusing on the breath but noting other things when these catch your attention. Be sure to carefully note “wandering” when the mind wanders and “thinking” when thoughts distract your attention from the sensations of breathing. Return your attention gently but firmly to the sensations of breathing.

If you see this practice, it is essentially similar to Deep Meditation in that we gently but firmly return to the breath whenever we wander. The only difference is that we mentally make a note of all the distractions (and as we advance we try to observe/see the three qualities of the distractions).
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  10:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JDH

TI,

My questions were the important part of message, not my answers.

You are looking at the proverbial finger pointing at the moon. You have cut the finger off the hand, and dissected it into mangled pieces. I am done looking at the finger with you. This forum is full of people looking at the moon using DM. If some other method gets you to that state, use that method twice a day with appropriate pacing, and reap the same results. You don't have to believe it, you don't have to understand it, you just have to do it. It works anyway.

Hi JDH :)
Sorry, I did not mean to expose you. I'm looking into the night sky and I am trying not to mistake a streetlamp for the moon.
I will leave you with a quote from Nisargadatta, from "I AM THAT":
quote:

Q: There is a Yogi who says that for realisation the eightfold Yoga is not necessary; that will-power alone will do. It is enough to concentrate on the goal with full confidence in the power of pure will to obtain effortlessly and quickly what others take decades to achieve.
M: Concentration, full confidence, pure will! With such assets no wonder one attains in no time.
This Yoga of will is all right for the mature seeker, who has shed all desires but one. After all, what is will but steadiness of heart and mind. Given such steadfastness all can be achieved.

TI
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000