Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Purification of two different systems?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nickyryuxx

France
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  4:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello! I have a few questions regarding purification:
-Is purification coming from DM and SBP the same? Will DM increase my progress with SBP?

-What are the different symptomes of overload with DM and SBP? Do we have two different list or just one list?

-Why do we associate purification with karma? Is it a belief or a known fact?

-Why do we say SBP help DM to be more effective? How do you feel it? Does it produce more inner silence, or more overload symptomes with a short practice?
In my practice I feel that inner silence is harder to achieve if I did SBP/khumbaka or any energy practices like tantra. It feels like there is something we need to sublime and then I feel inner silence. When I practice tantra, inner silence is more difficult to reach, I can do it but with a longer meditation.

Thank you

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  5:11:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nick,

Welcome to the forum.
quote:
-Is purification coming from DM and SBP the same? Will DM increase my progress with SBP?

Basically, pranayama is an energy practice, whereas meditation is a stillness practice. With mantra meditation this is a little different, because the mantra itself carries a subtle energetic vibration, so it is both an energy practice and a stillness practice.

Purification from pranayama and meditation are a little different, which is why both are needed in our practice. Purification from pranayama is quite fast and intense, and based mainly in the body, leading to the cultivation of ecstasy over the long term. Meditation on the other hand purifies at the mental level and leads to the cultivation of bliss over the long term. This is an oversimplification, as there is a lot of overlap between the two in practice.

So yes, DM will increase your progress with SBP.
quote:
-What are the different symptomes of overload with DM and SBP? Do we have two different list or just one list?

Energetic overload is the experience of too much prana moving through energy channels in the subtle body which are not yet purified enough to take the charge. So overload from meditation is the same as overload from pranayama.

quote:

-Why do we associate purification with karma? Is it a belief or a known fact?

Karma means action/ reaction. It is an established response pattern in an individual to certain events. Something happens, and you react in a certain way because of your karma. Purifying the body and the mind changes the way you respond to events. When you become more peaceful inside, and more sublime, there is much less automated response to external events. Or as they say in India... less karma. Eventually, when the purification process is largely complete, there are no external events, and no automated response pattern. No karma. So it is known to those who know it, and believed by many who don't yet know it.

quote:
Why do we say SBP help DM to be more effective? How do you feel it? Does it produce more inner silence, or more overload symptomes with a short practice?

Because Deep Meditation is an energy practice as well as a stillness practice, it is more effective when the energy body is activated. Pranayama activates the energy body. Yogani refers to the energy body as the subtle nervous system in the main lessons.

quote:
In my practice I feel that inner silence is harder to achieve if I did SBP/khumbaka or any energy practices like tantra. It feels like there is something we need to sublime and then I feel inner silence. When I practice tantra, inner silence is more difficult to reach, I can do it but with a longer meditation.

Yes, that is normal. As pranayama activates the subtle energy body, it may be harder to cultivate silence immediately after pranayama practice. But remember that yoga is not a question of silence. It is a question of enlightenment... the lighting up of the whole being and merging with the infinite in a state of ecstatic transcendence and divine love. That can happen through inner silence alone, but it takes a long time.... usually lifetimes. The practices in yoga are designed to bring about yoga, or union, achieved through the merging of ecstasy and bliss everywhere in the body and outside of the body in a short space of time. So although it may seem tricky at first, trust that there is some method behind the different techniques.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  5:26:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi,

Thanks for the excellent overview.

Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  6:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll second that. I love reading your posts, Christi. Always good to hear from people who have been at this for decades.
Go to Top of Page

nickyryuxx

France
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  04:35:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you christi!
Go to Top of Page

Green-eyed-Lady

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  7:00:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
And thank you from me too - great answer, very informative!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000