Enlightenment Milestones
 the schism
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  4:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
sometimes i stongly feel inner silence and bliss , i go about my daily activities,absorbed in doing them,,observing this inner silence and bliss and asking myself repeatedly who is the i that is experiencing this inner silence and bliss?...

sometimes i fall into oblivion,so i identify with my mind's thoughts.

the schism is then created

this oblivion might be mild,average or severe....

mild oblivion might occur when i get carried away but the task at hand,my mind is totally focused on it but neverthless it is oblivion cause i am not aware of the screen behind the images...

average oblivion is when i mentally start throwing judgments on people..."oh he/she is unbearable. a liar,lazy,no good"....

severe oblivion is when i go over again my past stories,or i start daydreaming about the future....

in all three oblivions the schism is there..identificattion with thoughts created an immediate split in the I creating therefore a little i

namaste

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  5:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What have you discovered from your inquiry ?

You are differentiating between a thought that asks who is witnessing bliss and silence and the thing you refer to as the schism.

Because the schism happened and then you thought...ahhh I was identified and absorbed, you are seeing that as different to being actively acknowledging that identification. It is not different. You see this happening after something else has happened. It is not so. The mind is pre occupied by past and future. There is only this thought, now, the rest is memory and cannot be trusted.

As each thought happens, then is the point to inquire. Now is now. Nothing happened before except a thought that tells you that it did.

Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  01:54:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
You are differentiating between a thought that asks who is witnessing bliss and silence and the thing you refer to as the schism.

i did not discover anything...just observing....i am aware
that both are thoughts.....but the first one (who is witnessing bliss?) is more subtle and leads to further silence, a blank...(not emptiness)....like those old mute movies where you have pictures flowing but without sound...
sometimes it feels scary..."oh i am losing myself"
sometimes it is funny..."oh everything and everybody is moving like string puppets"
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  03:52:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

quote:

i did not discover anything...just observing....i am aware
that both are thoughts.....but the first one (who is witnessing bliss?) is more subtle and leads to further silence, a blank...(not emptiness)....like those old mute movies where you have pictures flowing but without sound...
sometimes it feels scary..."oh i am losing myself"
sometimes it is funny..."oh everything and everybody is moving like string puppets"

Yes, if you inquire to the source the question and answer cannot be found. If you get 'blank' inquire of that also. Blank is another thought. The scary bit is how I once felt, like going over the edge of a huge chasm without a rope, in effect it is dying.....but it isn't because you cant. If you are thinking 'puppets on strings' inquire again as to who sees this as it is a get out for the mind.

Anything impermanent is not true. Anything fleeting is not real because it is like clouds across the Sun. Use that as a litmus test. Anytime something is there and then disappears it was never real. Once you learn to see the illusions you create, the rest will become known by default. As The bible says "seek ye the Kingdom of God and all these things will be added"

Your true self is permanent.

Edited by - karl on Oct 26 2011 03:55:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  03:57:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
so it should be blank without the thought of blank and without the thinker...
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  04:42:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

so it should be blank without the thought of blank and without the thinker...

Yes, I know exactly where you are coming from it doesn't matter what it should or shouldn't be, it is what it is and no more or less than that.

I can't describe it better because it gets tied up in technique, the best way to do a thing and all that. Then it gets distorted by the concept of how it should be. Always this, because it is on the level of illusion and can only be described in that way.

There is no right or wrong way, all that can be illuminated is the invisible edges of the illusion. You cannot see them until you accept they are there and cannot accept they are there until you see them. Catch 22.

Inquiry only pushes at the edges it cannot go beyond them. It let's you test where they are like a blind man with a stick tests to find the edge of the curb. Inquiry cannot show the whole, only where it is applied. It is not a solution, just a crude tool. The only way to use that tool is to continually bash away at everyt single thought that comes up and that can be hard going.

Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  04:48:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
continually bash away at everyt single thought

thank you Karl
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  07:14:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
continually bash away at everyt single thought

thank you Karl

Just be careful that you don't fall in the pit. When you inquire of everything it can lead to a circular logic. The result is stasis, in which there seems to be no reason to do anything at all, it is a lethargic state of none being in which the mind has folded back on itself. It's also very attractive, a false peace. It's like a serenity in fog. Limbo.

As long as you know it is there, if you sense you are headed into it, then you know it is not going to be useful. Your inquiry has not been deep enough or you have not obtained sufficient stillness. Your inquiry needs to be active and conscious.

Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  10:29:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
It's also very attractive, a false peace. It's like a serenity in fog. Limbo.

you mean manolaya?
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  10:30:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
one should enquire as long as there is an enquire that can be made....
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  11:10:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maheswari,

A slightly different suggestion... When you feel the inner silence and bliss during daily life... Just feel it... Just exist with it... Why create mind activity with inquiry? As Karl mentioned, it can be a loop.

Spend some time with the silence and it will grow.

Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  12:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
It's also very attractive, a false peace. It's like a serenity in fog. Limbo.

you mean manolaya?

I don't have a name for it. It is a false silence where the mind no longer seeks anything. Like a fire starved of oxygen but still incredibly hot, it waits for something to feed it and then it explodes back into life. While there is no oxygen it does not burn, it hibernates.

All the time there is a self awareness of this quiescent state and it seems like something worth clinging to as the mind is seemingly dormant and at peace. But something triggers the the mind back into producing thoughts, the spell is broken and the suffering continues.

It's just a marker for you, something to watch out for. If you know then you can recognise it that's all.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  4:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
When you feel the inner silence and bliss during daily life... Just feel it... Just exist with it... Why create mind activity with inquiry?

i am feeling it inside me ...it is a seed that continues to grow...

quote:
But something triggers the the mind back into producing thoughts, the spell is broken and the suffering continues

as long as my mind is triggered by something than some work still needs to be done

razor path
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000