Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Suspended breath and pranayama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chit-ananda51

India
127 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  12:32:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
After DM, I feel my breath almost stops or very slowed down and this eventually creeps outside meditation time too. So when I try to do spinal breathing, I feel like forcing the breath IN and OUT. I don't think that this is the way to go.

Can someone please share your views on this?

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  02:04:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
you can rest for few minutes before starting SB
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  04:07:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The AYP recommended way is to start with SB, then do DM and when breath stops during SB, I simply track prana up and down the spine as if I am still breathing

Sey
Go to Top of Page

chit-ananda51

India
127 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  08:55:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maheswari and SeySorciere

Thank you for the suggestion.

Edited by - chit-ananda51 on Oct 25 2011 12:50:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

eternalson786

India
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  10:55:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Ananda,, as SeySorciere told the way should be first SB n then DM.

you can see SB as "going there" n DM as "being there" so once you are settling into "being" there "going" again a moment after,, is not recommended..

i hope it helps!! good luck !!

Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  03:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Do pranayama first, then meditation. Then after meditation I find that it is important to relax in savasana (corpse pose) for a few minutes just to let everything settle back down to a restful state. Start with active practice )pranayama), then meditation,then finish with rest (savasana)
Go to Top of Page

chit-ananda51

India
127 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  12:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Victor and eternalson,

I tried that way and it feels good It's just that at times I feel that the breath gets locked inside with pranayama before DM - sort of good. But this pattern repeated even outside meditation time.

I will report back after 3-4 months (just for record) after adding SBP before DM.
Go to Top of Page

chit-ananda51

India
127 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  12:10:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all

Thought of recording my update (just for record)

I slowly integrated SBP before DM and energy imbalances have smoothed out greatly. I did AYP practices as an addendum to other Yogic practices earlier which stimulated my energy way more than my body could handle. Now that its all behind after a lot of self-pacing for 6-8 months, I am doing only AYP - 10 mins SBP + 15-20 mins DM twice daily.

Interestingly as I come to experience, inner stillness is really pure bliss as Yogani puts it. It contains in itself the seeds of devotion, love, joy and what not

On a side-note, I found that Dynamic jalandara(just rotating head even without breath retention-this occurred instinctively) during SBP improved depth of DM considerably.

Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  11:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great chit ananda!May you be in eternal Bliss..Nithyananada!

Love n Light
Viji
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  3:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chitananda,

Just for the record, with AYP spinal breathing, if you are tracing the spinal nerve and your breath suspends, then you remain with your attention at either ajna or root chakra until the breath continues again, depending on whether it was an inhale or an exhale that it suspended on. So if the breath suspends after inhale (antara kumbhaka), you maintain awareness at ajna until the breath goes out again.

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Dec 10 2011 3:10:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  3:12:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good clarification, Christi.

And if you find it to be prevalent also outside practices, beware not to get into overload if you are on the sensitive side.

I had and still have those automatic breath sessations and they are very powerfully drawing up the level of energy, so it's easy to "boil over" after a while if it gets too much.

I will have to, just as you say, force the breathing in and out to stop it when it becomes too intense. Very nice feeling, though... like being a fish under water, not having to breath, just picking up prana anyway and feeling refreshed without air in the lungs.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  3:39:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chitananda

Might want to have a quick read through of this lesson here: http://www.aypsite.org/45.html

Love!
Go to Top of Page

chit-ananda51

India
127 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  12:11:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Viji : An 8th century Yogi named Thirumoolar said 'May the world attain the bliss which I enjoy' Wish you the same.

Edited by - chit-ananda51 on Dec 11 2011 12:37:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

chit-ananda51

India
127 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  12:36:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi/CarsonZi

Thank you for pointing out additional lessons and finer points which I overlooked.

Emc/Christi/CarsonZi

My earlier yogic practices caused prana to be either locked up inside(automatic kumbhaka even outside practices) or unleashed more from the pelvic region resulting in heat waves sweeping across body.. it would be pleasurable in a retreat mode however on the run to mill work-setting, it sometimes over-heated my body.

So now that I do AYP, they are moderated. But can someone please clarify what ecstatic conductivity means on a personal note. I have read the lessons where it was contrasted with mental bliss & physical ecstasy.

Thanks so much for all your sharing!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  08:08:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chitananda,

Yes, ecstatic conductivity is the ecstasy that is experienced in the body, contrasted in the lessons with the experience of bliss, which has no specific location. Heat can often be experienced as a pre-cursor to ecstasy. So can things such as shaking and tingling sensations. These are all caused by prana moving in the nadis. Good that you are self-pacing to bring things under control.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

chit-ananda51

India
127 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  12:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the clarification Christi.. :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000