Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Head bending backwards during spinal breathing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sshubh

India
14 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  06:28:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
Often during spinal breathing, my head starts bending backwards. When it has bent till extreme (in this scenario, the forehead comes almost in line with the vertical spinal column), it stays there.
When it starts paining, I have to willfully bring it back.
Sometimes this happens during meditation too.

Can Yogani or other senior members throw some light on whether this is desirable and whether I should let it happen or resist it when it starts?

Thanks.

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  2:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi sshubh,

This is nothing to worry about. It is caused by energy moving through the sushumna nadi (main nerve current in the subtle body). If you find it painful, I would cut back on the amount of time you spend doing spinal breathing pranayama until you find a point where you can practice without experiencing pain. The same goes for meditation if you are experiencing pain there too. After some time (weeks or months) you will find that there is no longer any pain associated with this symptom and you will be able to increase your practice times again. This happens because the nerve channels will become more purified and wider and will be able to handle the increased current moving through them.

All the best

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  9:07:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I regularly let my head drop back during pranayama, it helps open the throat area. The way that I practice I start with a few minutes with my head back, then I drop it forward in jalandhara bandha for several minutes and finish with the chin pump. This pattern has worked well for me for some time. Generally it is not good to do pranayama (especially with retention) with the head upright. Having the head upright causes neck tension during pranayama. Classically the head is dropped forward but in my experience having the head back is helpful, its just good to be balanced. I like to finish with the chin pump pranayama for balance.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  07:09:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I totally agree with Victor. You might find that your mouth also starts opening very wide when your head is thrown back that way. It is the throat chakra being active.
Go to Top of Page

sshubh

India
14 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  06:02:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for clarifying!

Yes Sey, the mouth also starts opening and sometimes opens fully wide.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  11:33:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
mouth opening wide is fine, it is a release of tension. Just let this stuff happen and with time it should settle down. Keep the breathing through the nose though,
Go to Top of Page

tperret

Finland
1 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2011 :  5:43:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have experienced the same thing, sounds exactly like the way "sshubh" decribes it. For me, it feels like a dead end. It has usually happened when I've allowed my head or body to move with the guiding energy that awakens in my body (what to call it?), which feels liberating as it is a state of complete allowing. However, when the head has tilted backwards, the pulling force has grown in strength and it has been quite uncomfortable, a feeling of being stuck.

I have waited for the energy to release the head and lead it back up - sometimes for an hour or so - but it seems to stay there. I have had feelings of hopelessness as it feels like something I might "go through", but so far I haven't. I have always ended it by willing the head back up, which takes quite a lot of willing and the feeling of opposing this force feels ... wrong somehow.

If anyone who has had this experience and "gone through" it wants to hand me some support I would much appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  12:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would suggest doing the dynamic jalandhara (chin pump) gently with the energy to guide the rolling of the head. That should smooth things out
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000