Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Alternate practice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

goldbear43

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  06:12:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I cannot do Mulamudra due to a serious knee injury. Can anyone suggest an alternative practice to substitute in its place?

Edited by - AYPforum on Oct 23 2011 9:45:36 PM

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  06:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Goldbear and welcome to the forums

Could you please describe the practice of Mulamudra in detail, I tried a quick google search but only found results to Mahamudra.

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

goldbear43

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  11:37:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So sorry! I was up early, typing in the dark and obviously misspelled Mahamudra. That is the practice I was referring to. Sorry!
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  5:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am no expert on Mahamudra.. Now that the point is clear maybe another AYPyer who has knowledge could help. I suggest you edit the topic title to an alternate practice to Mahamudra.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

goldbear43

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  9:12:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a good suggestion Ananda---Thanks
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  09:23:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Goldbear

Well I think the only way you can do mahamudra without bending your knees is to have your legs straight out in front and touch your toes. You could have a rolled up sock under your perineum where your heel would be (if you were doing mahamudra.

Not sure if that would work. You are leaning forward and doing the mudras and bandhas the same. But its still not mahamudra!

But, I reckon, an easier alternative, would be to do Yoni Mudra Khumbaka. Everything is similar except you are not leaning forward.

It's like me, I have rubbish shoulder mobility so I can't do the easier version of the headstand or chakrasana. But I say oh well, there are plenty more powerful practices to do instead.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  10:20:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by woosa

Hi Goldbear

Well I think the only way you can do mahamudra without bending your knees is to have your legs straight out in front and touch your toes.

Yes, that's closer to mahamudra than the feet on floor, seated in chair alternative I had suggested.
Go to Top of Page

goldbear43

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  5:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the rolled up sock idea. I actually did try something similar but didn't stick with. I may try again. Your ideas are greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000