Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Letting go of the clock...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  11:20:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone here,

Just some small thing to share, and a petty question:)

I recently found, via self-pacing, that I tended to measure how much I "achieve" in DM by how much time I spent in it by looking at a clock. Because of this mentality, I tended to have goals for each session. For example, yesterday I meditated 15mins, so today I will try to get to 17mins per session. This mindy voice covered up the inner voice telling me to stop at the right moment, and sometimes produced slight overload. So I decided to give up peeping at clock. And just stop DM whenever I feel the maximum capacity is reached. And it worked.
I also found that when at the the right moment to stop and rest, my hands tend to automatically draw back. I didn't know why first, then when I allowed them to move freely, they came to a namaste mudra. This had been occurring in every session ever since. Even though I feel I should trust it, sometimes I suspect if this was my mind working. Anyone has similar experience here?

Namaste!

Pheel

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  02:12:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I still peep at the clock too, esp. to check my 10 mins of SB because I find I have either overdone it (and may end up in overload later) or underdone it.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  04:29:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I use a fee timer app from insight. It uses singing bowls for stats, interludes and ends and records your session. You can also choose to meditate with others across the world.
Go to Top of Page

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  1:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Seysorciere (sorry pls enlighten me on your id!) and Karl,

Thanks for sharing your experiences! What I'm trying to say is that I will have certain sensation when I reached the limit of my capacity to practice. Clocks in this case are not accurate measure, and can encourage me to set up goal based on logic, instead of inner feeling:) This is the issue for a over-sensitive person like me...sometimes I just can't do one more cycle of SPB or one more minutes of DM without getting to the overload side.

Karl, I have a beautiful singing bowl bought from a Tibetean town, how to you use it to record your session? don't get it.

Phil
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  5:12:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
iPad decided to edit my reply

It's an iPad/iPhone application called 'insight timer'. The singing bowls are the chimes that start any session, they also give interludes and a final tone to tell you the session is up.

So you can use it to start a session of Pranayama, after 5 mins there is a chime to tell you to end that session and begin DM. Takes out the guesswork.

It also makes you part of a meditation community across the world so you can meditate when others do.

Finally it records your personal meditation statistics - how often, how long, when etc.

Makes it easy to forget about looking at the clock and the chimes are nice.
Go to Top of Page

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  12:17:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl, sorry I was thinking of how could you use a physical singing bowl to record your meditation--sounds quite supernatural, or super-high tech:)
I don't have any apple here, but the function sounds really a nice one. Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  04:24:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Karl - that sounds totally cool. Insight Timer - I will check it out.

Phil - My ID is Sey (country - Seychelles) and Sorciere (Witch). I like to think of myself as quite the little witch (in all sense of the word)

Go to Top of Page

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  8:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, little witch, I like that! ! Me, I'm the inner child who likes witchcraft and all other fun wonders a lot:)
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  02:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

Karl - that sounds totally cool. Insight Timer - I will check it out

For those that want a meditation timer, stats and an online community

http://spotlightsix.com/

iPad, iPhone and android. Not free anymore, but easily worth the price. It is in constant development.
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  04:43:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hm, I also used to deep meditate () with a timer. It has had a nice and gentle tone at the end. But then one meditation teacher told me that according to his experience it's better not to use it and rather peek at the clock, because the ring causes a slight shock every time, because at the time it rings we might be very still and sensitive, and over time that is not healthy.
Well, but now I'm sometimes messing with peeking at the clock even a few times again, and that I feel is distracting on the other hand... I must say that I liked the gentle ring. Might go back to it.

Edited by - mimirom on Oct 28 2011 05:23:35 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000