New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

sivasambho

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  09:53:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JamieRadha

quote:
Originally posted by sivasambho

quote:
Originally posted by JamieRadha

yes, I am a vegetarian. why do you ask?

Thanks Jamie!

Eating meat is usually associated with libido, however I have found that the reverse is true. I was just curious as to the diet playing any role here. Someone I know said spirituality is 80% diet!

Sivasambho, Your comment above is "loaded" and I would like to help clear some things up for you.

First, I agree with your observation that (at least in my experience) meat does not increase libido. I have been a vegetarian most of my life, especially strict in my youth, and when I did later eat some meat off and on for a few years my libido was lower. This makes sense since meat is "tamasic" and therefore I would not expect it to stimulate kundalini.

Did I say "kundalini"? Yes! But, you thought we were talking about libido, i.e. sex? This brings us to the next point: "spirituality is 80% diet." Whether or not this is true (which I doubt, and certainly AYP does not enforce a strict diet), the traditional implication is that libido, i.e. sexual energy, is un-spiritual and ought to be reduced using dietary measures.

In fact, just the opposite is true! Kundalini IS sexual energy. In our yoga practice we preserve and cultivate sexual energy in the service of spirituality (the true meaning of "bramacharya"). Libido is a great blessing in spiritual life, especially when you have access to tantra yoga (with or without a partner). More on this below.

Jamie, It makes sense to me now. By default spiritual people are charged with that sexual energy. Either we use it or lose it. We also channel it for higher purposes. At times a spiritual aspirant is confused, why so many rules in the society. It is for the common good. Yes, yes. Why stay in marriage? It is supposed to be a sadhana by itself and enrich each other. I personally feel you are lucky if your partner is also into these things, then you balance the energy nicely. Its not just a drain but also supplementing yourself with your partners.
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2011 :  02:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Jamie, It makes sense to me now. By default spiritual people are charged with that sexual energy. Either we use it or lose it. We also channel it for higher purposes.

YES! Exactly. Now with regard to marriage and partnerships, yes I do feel blessed to have a partner who is open to yoga (although he is not formally "trained" except for spending a week with my guru, he is willing to learn more) and who can share with me on a spiritual level. It is very precious and I am extremely thankful.

At the same time, I must admit to you that being in a relationship is MUCH more difficult than being celibate, and many times when things are not going well I am tempted to return to my celibate lifestyle which was so much easier and simpler. However, my guru recommends relationship as the higher spiritual path in yoga.

I wish you all the best. If only your wife shared your interest in yoga!

Edited by - Radharani on Oct 22 2011 02:42:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

sivasambho

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  10:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I wish you all the best. If only your wife shared your interest in yoga!

Thanks Jamie, Have a nice day! I am simply fine without her, it is very scary and I really dont want to cause any grief to her... dear god.. help me give me strength not to her another person!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000