Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Breathing Question...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  11:49:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was discussing practices with a good friend and he suggested that I time and try changing my meditation breathing pattern. I timed it and found that I have a 12 second cycle ( 4 in - 3 hold - 5 out). He suggested that I go deeper/longer with a 9-2-9-2....

I gave it a try and found out that it was surprisingly hard for me (particularly the 9 sec in). Learned some interesting things about myself while focusing on Why? in stillness.

Questions for the group... What is your meditation breathing pattern? Deep or shallow breaths? Does a particular pattern make it easier to quiet the mind? Or, do you even ever notice your breath?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by - jeff on Sep 26 2011 4:07:51 PM

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  12:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Long and deep is natural for me, first few breathes are quick though. it kind of settles down after couple of breathes.

somtimes i find myself spontaniously breathless, and it happened outside meditation also, and it's very much calming. it starts after a full exhalation is done, and stays a while before I feel like inhaling again. the next breathe is also calm as opposed to gasping due to long pause. It's like i am living a different life, a different level of awarness between two breathes. I cant make it happen, it chooses when it will come. I have no idea about what is this but i like the shoothing effect.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  1:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jeff

As you probably already know, at AYP we don't focus on our breathing pattern during meditation. Breath counting/watching meditation is a totally different practice than AYP Deep Meditation. So asking others (who assumably practice AYP DM) what their breathing pattern is during DM may not yield much for responses since as soon as we notice our breath when practicing DM we should be going back to the mantra.

That said, in DM the breath seems to get shallower and shallower and eventually stops for periods of time (sometimes short periods sometimes longer periods)... at least that is what I have personally noticed when my attention drifts from the mantra to the breath. This is also what Yogani suggests is common. You may want to check out this lesson here: http://www.aypsite.org/45.html

Hope this helps!

Love!
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  2:18:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Carson,

Thanks for your feedback. I would agree on DM the breath seems to get shallower & shallower and eventually stops for a period of time.

I probably should have been more specific. I was describing breath for things like Spinal Breathing (http://www.aypsite.org/62.html) and Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka (http://www.aypsite.org/91.html) as the breath (or breath retention) may be part of the practice.

Edit: added SB

Edited by - jeff on Sep 26 2011 2:32:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  4:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jeff,

For SBP: No retention of Breath
For Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka/Chin pump/other kumbhakas: Keep the retention to whatever is comfortable so that you don't run out of breath and can do a smooth inhale and exhale

The ratios or numbers may not make sense but, I think for kumbhakas, my retention time is usually much more than the inhale/exhale times

- Near
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000