AMEND THE SCRIPTURES
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  05:30:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Someone said to Buddha,
“The things you teach, sir,
are not to be found
in scripture.”

“Then put them in there,”
said Buddha.

After an embarrassed pause
the man went on the say, “May I
be so bold as to suggest, sir,
that some of the things you
teach actually contradict the
scriptures?”

“Then the scriptures need amending,”
said Buddha.

A proposal was made at the United Nations that the scrip-
tures of every religion be revised; everything in them that
leads to intolerance or cruelty should be deleted; everything
that damages the dignity of human beings should be de-
stroyed.

When it was found that the author of the proposal was
Jesus Christ, reporters rushed to his residence. His explana-
tion was simple: “The Scripture, like the Sabbath, is for
human beings,” he said, “Not human beings for scripture.”

From the sweet rosy fragrance of beloved father Anthony De Mello

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  05:53:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  06:21:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's ironic that scriptures warn against worshiping false idols, and then people worship the scriptures as an idol.
There is no way to write them that will prevent misunderstandings.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  11:27:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Why not?! I dare to have this dream. Best we can do right now is to work on the level of individuals like what's going on here in AYP... Day by day, there are more and more people who are like minded to the open mentality we have over here. It would surprise you what kind of change is happening to those whom I interact with in the Arab world. By change, I mean a radical humanitarian and loving one. I am in infinite gratitude to Yogani in just seeing how open I've become to other systems spiritual paths. I also feel very honored to be able to see the change which is going on in the ones I instruct. It's a true waking up.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  11:40:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When the guru sat down to worship
each evening the ashram cat would
get in the way and distract the
worshipers. So he ordered that
the cat be tied during evening
worship.

After the guru died the cat
continued to be tied during evening
worship. And when the cat
expired, another cat was
brought to the ashram so that it
could be duly tied during evening
worship.

Centuries later learned treatises
were written by the guru’s scholarly disciples
on the liturgical significance
of tying up a cat
while worship is performed.
Anthony De Mello, SJ
Go to Top of Page

WoodDragon

USA
56 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  1:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit WoodDragon's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The danger of Scriptures is the danger of them becoming dogma. All things change, humanity is no exception, our awareness is no exception. When we bind ourselves to dogma and Scriptures with no thought, we chain ourselves to a false immobility, constraining growth.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  1:37:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
what is the matter with people?...they always end up hurting cats for giving examples...poor creatures...

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=10285

i was one in some life...

Edited by - maheswari on Sep 22 2011 2:26:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  6:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The reason there is no way to write them to prevent misunderstandings is words mean different things to different people based on their world view. Have you ever gotten a completely different understanding of words you have known before? Many different meanings; same words.
That's one reason AYP is a huge step in the right direction. When people discuss things it works out those differences in meaning (sometimes more, sometimes less). The forums in combination with Yogani's writings and many scriptures people bring here, are much better communication than just written words. Then we take away idolizing of any one source, whether a guru or scripture, and voila! A greatly accelerated path.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  01:57:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

yogesh

USA
153 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  11:17:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
please also note that throughout history scriptures have been interpolated by various religious sects, schools of philosophy and political parties to suit their outlook and conclusions...

Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  11:27:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A+ I agree. I would also like to note that we don't want to bash any religions or scriptures over here; We respect them all. We are just sharing our own humanitarian opinion.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  1:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try
No people below us, above it's only sky

Imagine there's no countries, it isn't hard to do
No need to kill or die for and no religions too/John Lennon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b7qaSxuZUg
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  6:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"You may say I’m a dreamer
But I’m not"

-Dinner for Schmucks" 2010
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  01:41:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
The danger of Scriptures is the danger of them becoming dogma.

'God has no religion"/Ghandi
Go to Top of Page

yogesh

USA
153 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  10:27:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

A+ I agree. I would also like to note that we don't want to bash any religions or scriptures over here; We respect them all. We are just sharing our own humanitarian opinion.

no one is bashing anyone, why you say that?
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  10:31:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just caring for others' feelings Some might think it provocative if a person like me suggests that their religion be changed like the way I am proposing. Trust me I know quite a few
Go to Top of Page

yogesh

USA
153 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  09:27:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Just caring for others' feelings Some might think it provocative if a person like me suggests that their religion be changed like the way I am proposing. Trust me I know quite a few

modernization of outdated religious concepts and traditions is nothing new and has become a tooth and nail fight within many circles..
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  10:21:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Not over here dear... People are very sensitive and too identified when it comes to religion, come over and visit a few areas (Christian and Muslim) in Lebanon and talk about changing one letter of any holy books or "Modernizing" religion... I promise you, you'll end up as Shish Kabbab
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  11:54:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
the scripture that were written thousands of years can NOT fit our days anymore....it is just static dogma
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  12:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

the scripture that were written thousands of years can NOT fit our days anymore....it is just static dogma

Couldn't agree more
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  3:40:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

I would disagree. While the religious institutions often get lost and confused, the actual words of the great masters can be timeless.

As an example, the words of the Dhammapada, Tau Te Ching and Jesus (in the Gospels) are still relevant (and valuable) today.

Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  3:53:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I also agree with Jeff

Which brings me back to the original goal behind this topic. Aiming to work on the differences which separate between Religions by changing or removing them entirely. It's a dream "I know" but It could happen if we work for it. Candle lighting another candle and so on...

Every great achievement starts with a dream or an ambition. AYP is one of those achievements by the way Every one before was against putting such practices on paper and said it was too dangerous and irresponsible yet Yogani found a way and did it and it worked

Love always finds a way [img]icon_heart.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  4:24:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
would disagree. While the religious institutions often get lost and confused, the actual words of the great masters can be timeless.

As an example, the words of the Dhammapada, Tau Te Ching and Jesus (in the Gospels) are still relevant (and valuable) today.

i do not see any disagreement b/w us ....what u said totally supports the thread subject ie like Jesus who said:.the sabbath is made for man and not man for sabbath

but once one start having religious institutions...the mess appears...meaning religious instutions create illusionary religious limitations (ex:the scriptures should not be changed) and create illusionary differences in the human race...ex:i am christian and you are hindu and she is muslim and blablabla....stick to your daily prayers or you will burn in hell...our way is the way....etc....all the rubbish
Go to Top of Page

yogesh

USA
153 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  4:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Not over here dear... People are very sensitive and too identified when it comes to religion, come over and visit a few areas (Christian and Muslim) in Lebanon and talk about changing one letter of any holy books or "Modernizing" religion... I promise you, you'll end up as Shish Kabbab

amending scriptures and modernization are the same kind of thing frankly, and yes this conversation is very much at the forefront of religious discussion in many circles at this time in history, especially scholars..

anyway, you seem a little irritated by my input here...

so I'll bid you adieu.

Go to Top of Page

Delara

Lebanon
305 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  5:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to mess all the excitement over here...majority won't like what I'm about to say but it's o.k!I'll say it anyway.
There's nothing wrong with the scriptures,there's nothing wrong with religions.All are equally beautiful & reflect truth.What look otherwise is our own misunderstanding and pre-judgment before even reading these scriptures.
Instead of this tendency to always change what's outside why not change oneself & accept others as they are even if they want to worship a stone.That would be much much better approach.
Again,my own opinion!ignore it if you don't like it!
Love to All
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  11:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Delara
There's nothing wrong with the scriptures,there's nothing wrong with religions.All are equally beautiful & reflect truth.What look otherwise is our own misunderstanding and pre-judgment before even reading these scriptures.
Instead of this tendency to always change what's outside why not change oneself & accept others as they are even if they want to worship a stone.

Marvelous!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000