New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

crazymandrew

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  06:28:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit crazymandrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Lately I've been having a lot of issues with negative energy from near by people. Some people seem to have such aggressive temperaments, they pound you with perceptions/beliefs you down want. It can especially give you mood swings.

I've been doing a meditation were you first work on your aura and filling your body with light. Then you close down you charkras second so you are not so sensitive to nearby static/energy. I've read charkras often don't close down properly when you become spiritually aware.

How do you protect yourself from these people?

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  07:00:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i suggest you shift to DM....much more simple and effective
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  4:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've experienced similar. I was once v.affected by this and am no longer.

The key practice for me was 'staying present' : I let my awareness rest in the sensations in my body, my attention remain on my breath, my breathing remain calm and balanced. Whilst you remain present like this, not going off into mental activity, you are much less likely to be reactive.

It's also worth nothing, the negative energy only really has capacity to affect you whilst you have your own unresolved emotional issues. For example, there was once a day, where someone could come up to me in the street, with really aggressive negative energy and shout at me: "get the *&%! out of my way" or something and I would've been upset and angry. Now someone could do the same, and I would be at peace, and unlikely to be concerned or affected by their actions. Why? Because I've purified my own emotional body, and have very minimal anger and fear within me, and there is nothing inside me to be triggered by the other persons anger.

Thirdly, I would personally suggest that every time someone is aggressive towards you, or you perceive negative energy coming from someone, you practice extending unconditional love towards them. Say to yourself mentally: My automatic reaction is to be defensive/protective around you, and perhaps to reject you, but instead I'm going to extend my unconditional love towards you, and accept you the way you are. Practice imagining yourself radiating unconditional love out into the world, particularly to those who seem to have a negative vibration - they are the ones who most need healing.

The attitude of needing to protect or defend oneself is rooted in the belief that we are separate and in identification with ourselves as the body/mind instead of our true infinite/eternal nature. As long as you attempt to do things to protect or defend yourself, you perpetuate this misconception and experience of separation in the world, for yourself and others. As a more spiritually mature person, you can do much good by extending unconditional love to people, which helps dissolve this fractured perception that we are separate, and that we need to fight with, or defend ourselves from, each other. Giving unconditional love to the world will heal you, as well as the world, and gradually change your reality, until ultimately you experience only oneness with everyone and everything.

For further exploration of purifying your own emotional body, I suggest Michael Brown's The Presence Process. A book which can quickly aid you in radically changing your perceptions is Love is Letting Go of Fear.

Edited by - mr_anderson on Sep 21 2011 4:12:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  02:58:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by crazymandrew
I've been doing a meditation were you first work on your aura and filling your body with light. Then you close down you charkras second so you are not so sensitive to nearby static/energy. I've read charkras often don't close down properly when you become spiritually aware.

How do you protect yourself from these people?

That is a good protective measure.

But instead of closing/grounding the chakras, (if you are fine with open chakras), you can just create a protective shield around your body to block the negativities. The shield is created and supported with heart chakra.

And Scott Kiloby just posted this on his facebook page a few hours ago:

"I love afflictive emotions. They tell me exactly who I have falsely taken myself to be."

Go to Top of Page

WoodDragon

USA
56 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  1:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit WoodDragon's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Compassion for those who are angry, compassion for those too lost in their own world to see how it may affect others, knowing there is no "other" and filling yourself with compassion for everyone no matter how they behave or what they say. We only are affected by that which we allow into ourselves. Find stillness within and you will find stillness "outside".
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  01:48:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
what everybody else said. Also, with regard to the "shield" that manignma mentioned, it is essentially just the power of Love radiating out from your heart, in the same way that when water is flowing out through a garden hose, the positive pressure prevents anything from crawling into the hose. So if Love is just pouring out of you, nothing negative can really get in. And this arises naturally from continued deep meditation.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  04:09:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JamieRadha

what everybody else said. Also, with regard to the "shield" that manignma mentioned, it is essentially just the power of Love radiating out from your heart, in the same way that when water is flowing out through a garden hose, the positive pressure prevents anything from crawling into the hose. So if Love is just pouring out of you, nothing negative can really get in. And this arises naturally from continued deep meditation.

Power of Love?

Just open your eyes and look around, nature is full of colors, vividness, drama, dance, action, blood, pain, sex, rage...

The whole universe is colliding exploding all the time.

There is no concept of love or hate in nature. Only laws.

Love is the creation of a sick man's mind. Nature has no concept of compassion or love or hate. It just is.

Only man keeps talking about LOVE. Why? Because he is not what he really is. Man has become impotent, sissy, dull, lifeless. Like a parasite who clings to concepts and dies without ever being born. Without ever becoming what he really is. And is born again and again.

Yes, meditation is the cure. And its unfortunate that every man needs this cure. Its the only way to make us what we are. Humans!

The "shield" I am talking about is not made from power of love. Its made from power of man's heart. The power of nature.

Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  5:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Manigma, I'm sorry you apparently don't know what Love is. You speak of "laws." Love is the Law. Nature herself is a manifestation of Love. Of course, I respect that everyone is entitled to believe whatever they want and I wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

chas

USA
209 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  10:20:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by manigma

quote:

Power of Love?

Just open your eyes and look around, nature is full of colors, vividness, drama, dance, action, blood, pain, sex, rage...

The whole universe is colliding exploding all the time.

There is no concept of love or hate in nature. Only laws.

Love is the creation of a sick man's mind. Nature has no concept of compassion or love or hate. It just is.

Only man keeps talking about LOVE. Why? Because he is not what he really is. Man has become impotent, sissy, dull, lifeless. Like a parasite who clings to concepts and dies without ever being born. Without ever becoming what he really is. And is born again and again.

Yes, meditation is the cure. And its unfortunate that every man needs this cure. Its the only way to make us what we are. Humans!

The "shield" I am talking about is not made from power of love. Its made from power of man's heart. The power of nature.

What?

Real Love-that to which the word points- is fundamental. It's not a concept. Do you really not feel love? Consider that communicating love can bring surface experience into a deeper experience of actual love. Love heals. And much more. In my experience, it is the giving of love, letting it flow in resting awareness, that is beyond words and it is totally real.
Love

Edited by - chas on Sep 23 2011 10:28:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  02:20:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Love is essential....do humans know how to really Love without any expectations in return ? that is another topic....neverthless Love is essential..

"A wandering ascetic camped in a village. A man came and told him he wanted to realize God.
The ascetic asked, ”Have you ever loved anybody?”
”No, I am not guilty of such a mundane thing,” the man replied. ”I have never stooped so low; I want
to realize God.”
The ascetic asked again, ”Have you never felt the pangs of love?”
The seeker was emphatic. ”I am telling the truth,” he replied.
The poor man spoke honestly. In the realm of religion to have loved is a disqualification. He was
sure that if he said he had loved someone the ascetic would ask him to rid himself of love then
From Sex to Superconsciousness 11 Osho
CHAPTER 1. SEX, THE GENESIS OF LOVE
and there – to renounce the attachment and to leave all worldly emotions behind before seeking his
guidance. So even if he had loved someone, he felt he must reply in the negative. Where can you
find a man who has never even loved a little?
The monk asked for the third time, ”Say something. Think carefully. Not even a little love – for
somebody, for anybody? Haven’t you even loved one person a little?”
The aspirant said, ”Pardon me, but why do you keep harping on the same question? I wouldn’t touch
love with a ten-foot pole. I want to attain self-realization. I want Godhood.”
To this the ascetic replied, ”Then you will have to excuse me. Please approach someone else. My
experience tells me that if you had loved somebody, anybody, that if you had even had a glimpse of
love, I could help enlarge it, I could help it to grow – probably to reach God. But if you have never
loved, then you have nothing in you; you have no seed to grow into a tree. Go and make inquiries of
someone else. My friend, in the absence of love I do not see any opening for God.”(Osho/From Sex to Superconsciouness)
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  03:06:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Manigma, I'm sorry you apparently don't know what Love is. You speak of "laws." Love is the Law. Nature herself is a manifestation of Love. Of course, I respect that everyone is entitled to believe whatever they want and I wish you all the best.

You know we are all talking with each other because there is Earth beneath our feet and Sky above our heads. Because of the Air that flows and the Sun that shines up there.

You say the word Love, I see the word as well as the blank space that makes it visible.

We were brought into this world by our parents. Why they brought us? They don't know themselves. And I know you don't know the answer either.

You say 'nature herself is a manifestation of Love'. I know it was true, I loved such words before and experienced the state myself where I used to say similar things.

When I roam the lofty mountains I feel like my soul is raised on high and covered like the peaks in never melting caps of snow. And when I descend into the valleys I feel deep and profound like them and my heart fills with mysterious shadows. The same thing happens at the edge of the sea. There I merge with the surging waves; they pound and roar within me. When I gaze at the sky I expand. I become boundless, unlimited. When I look at the stars, silence permeates me; when I see a flower the ecstasy of beauty overwhelms me. When I hear a bird singing, it's song is an echo of my own inner voice, and when I look into the eyes of an animal I see no difference between them and my own. Gradually my separate existence has been effaced and only God remains. So where shall I look for God now? How shall I seek him? Only he is; I am not.

I was in the hills, and what they wanted to tell me was transmitted through their silence. The trees, the lakes, the rivers, the brooks, the moon and the stars were all speaking to me in the language of silence. And I understood. The words of God were clear to me, I could only hear him when I became silent. Not before.

What shall I say to you? Listen to the stars in the sky. I wish to say the same thing their silent, dancing lights are saying. I wish to say that whatever is, is beyond the power of speech, beyond the reach of hearing.

Creation springs from love. It is nourished by love. It moves towards love and eventually merges with love. And you ask me why I say love is God! This is why.

~ Osho

But you know what? He missed a lot of things from that statement. Its not the complete picture. Its truth. But half truth.

I remained in the Love state for a long time. Its like giving a lollipop to an annoying kid just so he stops bothering you. I licked the lollipop called 'God is Love' for a long time.

Then I met someone who made me realise that I was tricked and made a fool by my mind. That I was blinded by misleading words and experiences that do not describe the complete picture. That I must wake up!

You know who that person was who made me realise my mistake? It was Dalai Lama. I met him a few years ago in McLeodganj. I was his big fan and wore a big locket with his picture in my neck for 3 years. Then one day a person asked him, I can't remember the exact words but it was something similar like:

"If its the power of Love radiating out from your heart, in the same way that when water is flowing out through a garden hose, the positive pressure prevents anything from crawling into the hose. So if Love is just pouring out of you, nothing negative can really get in.

Then how did the Chinese enter the Holy radiating place like Tibet and made all of you evacuate Tibet and seek refuge here in India?

And he was also asked about why suddenly so many people die like in a plane crash or earthquake or a tsunami?"

You know what Dalai Lama answered? He said "Maybe its the group karma of those people, maybe all of those people had to redeem their Karma with those events."

So I threw away my lollipop of 'God is Love' that day and came back down to earth with my original question, "Why?"

And my father looked into my eyes and this time he knew I was no longer a kid who can be quietened away by giving lollipops.

Go to Top of Page

sshubh

India
14 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  05:44:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are some negative-energy-release-exercises described in chapters 4,6,8 in http://www.clairvision.org/ckb/ckbe...SaganATE.pdf

These not only help in warding off further accumulation of negativity but also clearing the in-place pile...
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  12:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Manigma is just being honest. I can't explain very well but will try...

The tectonic forces that move the plates around on our planet's surface don't know or care about the people drowned or made homeless by the tsunami.

The blizzard doesn't know or care about the cattle who suffocate under the buildup of ice on their noses or the people who freeze to death.

Fire is indifferent to the people and animals burned and the homes destroyed.

Nature is.

Love isn't a feeling. It's a sacred act. The strength to let acts of love flow out endlessly and unconditionally comes from the heart. But it's the same strength that lets you say, to quote Black Elk and Chief Crazy Horse, "Then it's a good day to die," take your stand and defend your loved ones from whatever threatens them.

But, while nature is indifferent to human suffering, humans are not. Empathy is awakening in all of us. We feel the things happening to our brothers and sisters all over the planet also happening to us in some large or small way, because we are all one.
Go to Top of Page

chas

USA
209 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  1:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course there is the whole destroying aspect of nature. I don't think we're denying that. Destruction is renewal, giving birth to new life. But underneath that we have Love. Or the union of Shiva and Shakti. Or stillness in action. Call it what you want...or don't. But the term Love is useful for many of us. It can and does point us to Truth. If at some point it is not useful, that's fine too. I just see a danger here in creating images. Manigma has created an image of Love being a creation of the mind, associated with impotent, sissy, lifeless humans, and not ultimately true. Combine that with the image of an enlightened Manigma, and clearly we can have problems. What if my ishta is Love? Is that such a bad thing? What if "I' love my family, my neighbors, and everyone else? What if tectonic plates move in such a perfectly destructive way that I fall into the earth and my body dies? Love remains. Life goes on. 

Edited by - chas on Sep 24 2011 2:06:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  2:25:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Crazymandrew

It sounds funny the term 'these people'. It's 'us' and 'them' huh? The spiritual people and the other ignoramuses. The only protection I would recommend is physical self defence!

I just accept people as they are. Nothing much else you can do. By getting upset over people's negativity you end being just like them - negative.

With regards to unexplainable things I just say:

I don't know.

Then I ask who the 'I' is. To me that is the most important question.

Edited by - woosa on Sep 24 2011 2:33:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  12:20:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sshubh

There are some negative-energy-release-exercises described in chapters 4,6,8 in http://www.clairvision.org/ckb/ckbe...SaganATE.pdf

These not only help in warding off further accumulation of negativity but also clearing the in-place pile...

Yes, these are some great exercises by Sagan.

Once the heart chakra is strong enough. It will automatically ward of negativities and create the shield I am talking about. The shield is only defensive, not offensive.

The offensive attacks are made from another chakra.

Go to Top of Page

crazymandrew

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  01:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit crazymandrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by woosa

Crazymandrew

It sounds funny the term 'these people'. It's 'us' and 'them' huh? The spiritual people and the other ignoramuses. The only protection I would recommend is physical self defence!

I just accept people as they are. Nothing much else you can do. By getting upset over people's negativity you end being just like them - negative.

With regards to unexplainable things I just say:

I don't know.

Then I ask who the 'I' is. To me that is the most important question.

Sorry but my view is little different than that. I don't think I'm superior to anyone. I simply think there is system of freewill in place and some people (and entities that can influence our thoughts) are just negative in nature. I simply don't want their perception and energy. It's similar to how the ascended masters claim you should shield yourself from miscreations of the human race every morning.
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  08:34:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi crazymandrew

I was only joking about the superiority complex thing - I have that anyway, so, in my opinion, it's not a big deal.

Go to Top of Page

chas

USA
209 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  12:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to be clear, I'm not saying anyone is or isn't enlightened, just that the belief is better let go of. No big deal. Who can deny the love between a parent and child? Or any experience of love. This is ridiculous! Love is here and if someone who I believe is enlightened (and let's be honest, that is an image existing, likely believed by some and not by others) says such as Manigma did, and IF I believe that, now there is a constriction. Just let go of these beliefs. And here we have a lot of folks in love. The lessons speak of "outpouring of divine love". And you're gonna say we speak of love because we're ------ (see above) Ha! Thanks, dude. Which chakra is that? Would you say that to your mother? Btw, Manigma, I usually love what you say, and I'm glad for you that you are where you are, but maybe you could be more careful of what you say, someone just might believe it. I'll stop hijacking the thread, just couldn't let this one go...yet.
Go to Top of Page

WoodDragon

USA
56 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  08:32:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit WoodDragon's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Chas, I have to agree with you on all points you made. I especially agree with your points on Love and your latest one was very nicely said indeed. Many hugs to you my friend!

I also must point out that when it was mentioned by Magnigma that the heart chakra shield was only defensive, "The shield is only defensive, not offensive." this is not fully correct. Please folks, understand that any "shield" can be used either defensively or offensively, it is energy which has many uses and we must all be aware of how we use our energies. There is no such animal as an energy with only one use. This is based on many years of study, practice and teaching. I would normally have not brought it up but the statement seemed dangerous. Too many times I have seen people use something they thought was "harmless" and caused tremendous harm. Use shields and energies wisely, carefully and with a lot of careful thought as to the consequences, especially long term consequences.
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  5:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to Maheswari, Chas, Liz, WoodDragon and everybody for their very thoughtful and well-expressed contributions.

Manigma, yes, all kinds of horrible things happen in the world, including the Communist takeover of Tibet which occurred quite some time ago and which I'm sure you knew about prior to that incident with the Dalai Lama that you described; you probably knew about it before you ever put on the locket with his picture. So nothing really changed except your perception. Life (maya) is what it is. Existence is suffering. We accept that, to the extent that there are things we may not be able change, although we may do our damndest - and our doing so a manifestation of Love, too. Now let's get back to the original question, which was, "how to protect oneself from negative energy?" I didn't say Love would necessarily prevent bad things from happening; I said it would prevent negative energy from getting in, from becoming our internal state. Love gives us courage and compassion in the face of adversity. So the Tibetan monks and nuns who were murdered by the Chinese soldiers could have been in a state of perfect compassion and freedom at the time of their death, not being willing to forfeit their good karma by harming another (even in self defense). And those who chose to fight could do so with courage, knowing "it's a good day to die."

Manigma, I am not unsympathetic to your viewpoint (if indeed it really is your viewpoint and you are not just playing mind games or being argumentative for your own amusement, which seems entirely possible). I have held that same view at various times in my life and I must admit it has a certain appeal from an intellectual standpoint. It's simpler and avoids a lot of messy considerations. I held this worldview when I was young, until after some years of serious yoga practice it became too limiting to account for the experiences that I was having in meditation, where I experienced Love as Reality (although my ordinary waking existence continued to be relatively bleak and more in accord with your description). I believed in Love based on passing but increasingly prolonged and intense experiences of It. More recently, in the last few years, I returned to the worldview you describe when I was angry with God for allowing my saintly mother, a pure-hearted soul with innocent childlike faith, to die a horrible lingering death from type 1 diabetes. Since I could not reconcile her awful suffering with Love, I told my best friends loudly, "there is no God, no Love, it's all a delusion, a cruel trick of the hormones to compel us to breed and preserve the species!" I also did the Voltaire thing and invited Him to strike me with lightning. Of course I must admit I did this largely to piss Him off in the hope of getting some kind of reaction, since at this point I could not completely believe my own story, as I was still experiencing Love in meditation, although I did neglect my yoga practice somewhat for a while. Eventually I became bored with my dark worldview and couldn't stand my existence anymore so returned seriously to my yoga practice. Soon thereafter, thanks to someone I would call "Guru" but who prefers to be called "a very dear Friend," my entire reality shifted and the Love I had previously experienced during meditation essentially busted out and became my new reality 24/7. In brief darker moments, I occasionally still enjoy indulging myself in the nihilistic view, like maybe once a month when I become the Destroying Goddess or as my partner kindly describes, "Galadriel in the moment when she considered taking the ring," but this has become increasingly difficult. It's kind of like standing outside in the sunlight while arguing against the existence of the sun, when I AM that.

Not to be harsh, but from my perspective, your description of Love, "Love is the creation of a sick man's mind... impotent, sissy, dull, lifeless," is like the CPA's understanding of a lion in the Monty Python sketch where he says to the Vocational Counselor, "I want to become a lion tamer!" Counselor: "And what experience have you had with lions?" "Well I... I've seen them at the zoo... Lively brown furry things with short stumpy legs and great long noses. I don't know what all the fuss is about, I could tame one of those. They look pretty tame to start with." "And these, er, these lions ... how high are they?" CPA (indicating a height of one foot) "Well they're about so high, you know. They don't frighten me at all." Counselor: "Really. And do these lions eat ants?" "Yes, that's right." So maybe we aren't even talking about the same thing, this "Love."

I suppose it's possible that I and the several friends I have met, including here at AYP and at HOY, who experience Love as our Reality, might be victims of a mass hallucination, faulty brain chemistry, self hypnotism, or some other "natural" explanation. Fair enough. But there are plenty of people who do not, in fact, experience this at all but who nonetheless make the existential choice to BE IT in the world; who choose compassion as their response to the suffering in the world, who love in spite the of direst circumstances and who do their best to change those circumstances even when it seems hopeless. And that is Love. And by the way, with regard to WoodDragon's point, if Love is your "shield" you don't have to worry about harming anybody.

Edited by - Radharani on Sep 26 2011 8:25:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  10:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jamie (and others),

I would disagree and say that Manigma has been remarkably consistent in all of his post for the last year. All of his posts say basically the same thing... Go beyond... Go beyond... (the mind). All he is saying is that how you define "love" is a product of the mind and what "truly is" is beyond the mind.

You would describe the "light" as love. To me, it feels more like a combination of peace and joy. But both are interpretations of the mind. Manigma statements are similar to Buddha's description of Non-Duality + Dependent Origination + Anatta. He is just using more colorful words like "love is for wimps" to make a point on mind/ego emotional responses. He does seem to like to use an internet stick...

Here is another interpretation of what I believe he is saying...

As Shurangama Sutra describes,

(33) Further, in his practice of samadhi, such a good person's mind is firm, unmoving, and proper and can no longer be disturbed by demons. He can thoroughly investigate the origin of all categories of beings and contemplate the source of the subtle, fleeting, and constant fluctuation. But if he begins to speculate about self and others, he could fall into error with theories of partial impermanence and partial permanence based on four distorted views.

First, as this person contemplates the wonderfully bright mind pervading the ten directions, he concludes that this state of profound stillness is the ultimate spiritual self. Then he speculates, "My spiritual self, which is settled, bright, and unmoving, pervades the ten directions. All living beings are within my mind, and there they are born and die by themselves. Therefore, my mind is permanent, while those who undergo birth and death there are truly impermanent."

Because of these speculations of impermanence and permanence, he will fall into externalism and become confused about the Bodhi nature. This is the third externalist teaching, in which one postulates partial permanence.

Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  6:52:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
jumping in again... I didn't assign the "Man has become sissy" statement any importance because, whatever Manigma says about love or man (or women), I know I'm not sissy, dull, or lifeless.

But his statement about love being the creation of a person's mind has validity. If you take away people, do you still have love? Maybe you could argue that animals experience love and act with love. So take away the animals. How about plants? Do they love? How about a rock? Does the "law of love" underlie the workings of gravity, the strong and weak nuclear forces, and electromagnetism? You'd have to hand me some really solid proof that it does before I'd believe it.

As for going beyond the mind, I haven't done it, so I can't relate. I don't know how to do it or even if I want to.

But I have a question for Manigma and anyone else who wants to answer: Just because something is in your mind, does that make it any less real?

And besides... How does everyone know that Manigma's enlightened? He might just be a goofy guy with a huge smile and a gift for getting people all hacked off.
(I hope you take that in the spirit it was intended, Manigma. )

Edited by - whippoorwill on Sep 27 2011 7:23:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

chas

USA
209 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  10:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We are essentially creating unenlightenment by over focus on language, concepts, and images. And that is what we're doing here. Trying to dissect love, you know figure it out mentally. If we say "go beyond the concept of love" or something similar, I think that would be a more effective way of pointing "beyond". To create a concept of love that is negative, we really get pulled into that---our awareness gets identified by over focus on language/concepts/images. And maybe this is a brilliant way to show us our body and mind reactions and perhaps go beyond them. I just think we need to be careful. You know, love is a very powerful word, and to mess around with the meaning for people...wow... I prefer AYP to being hit with that big of a stick I would suggest to anyone to use love in samyama, inquiry, and intentions to others, and see the truth of it.
Love

Edited by - chas on Sep 27 2011 11:01:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  01:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
whatever (rolls eyes). The whole concept of "going beyond" is a creation of the mind also. Ultimately there is nothing to go beyond and nobody to go there.
By the way, Liz, you asked: "Does the "law of love" underlie the workings of gravity, the strong and weak nuclear forces, and electromagnetism? You'd have to hand me some really solid proof that it does before I'd believe it." Yes. The Love I am talking about is not a mere human emotion or sentiment (although that is one manifestation); it is the Force that binds the atoms together, the union of Shiva and Shakti in the stars and in our own nervous system. No proof or belief is necessary when you experience It. Much Love to all of you.

Edited by - Radharani on Sep 28 2011 03:22:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  01:56:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
good post Lizmoran
quote:
But his statement about love being the creation of a person's mind has validity

definitely Love is a creation of the mind like everyhting else (including the world)...but it seems the best creation we managed to do ...Love can take us beyond mind ..Love for the Self leads to longing and ultimately to liberation from the unreal....keeping in mind that Love is not infatuation,or teenagers love,or lust or greed or benefits,etc....all the so called things we call Love but but are not Love at all.....
Namaste
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000