Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 problems going deep
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

boris

Norway
68 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  3:53:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit boris's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,I have been practicing AYP meditation two times a day for about 8 months.I feel it is a powerful meditation.It gives me more energy,better sleep,feel happier so it is all good.I have a lot of silence,in the end of my meditation sessions (20 min) my mind is VERY quiet.But I still dont feel like in deep meditation at all.I am more on the surface.when i did anapanasati/breathing meditation or white skeleton meditation I went REALLY deep.And I miss it.One time,I first lost the body,and then the mind itself.I felt like I was turning into a black hole or something.
Is it normal that DM is not as deep as for example breathing meditation?

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  4:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I first lost the body,and then the mind itself.I felt like I was turning into a black hole or something.

this is called scenery...why? because it is impermanent...soon enough you regained concioness of the body and mind.....and now you are longing to repeat an experience present in your memory...hence your disatissfaction...
ayp is not about how to get amazing experiences...all these experiences are not an indication of real neurobilogical spiritual unfoldment,which is the aim of DM and SB...and which lead eventually to permanaent state of pure awareness
just practice without expectations...the benefits of DM appear in daily life activities ...you will notice a good change in you...and the people around you will notice this change in you too....
Go to Top of Page

boris

Norway
68 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  7:14:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit boris's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the answer,i am sorry but I dont belive the answer is so simple.That it is just a scenery and it doesent mean anything.
But my main question is:
Is breath meditation normally a deeper meditation method than deep meditation(DM),lol?
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  04:21:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Boris,

Your doing fine as you are.

Can you see that your 'missing' an experience is really a desire for something. While the desire seems to suggest it is about an introversion of senses, any desire that is aimed at achieving a transient experience is a false outward seeking desire.
Anything transient is not real, it is the mind saying " I am happier with this, it is better like that".

If you have achieved a level of stillness you should begin to see these thoughts as objects and know them for what they are, diversions.

In AYP, before there is sufficient stillness, when the thoughts cannot be examined as objects it is easier to give them the title 'scenery' as it is a neat generalisation and helps by the simple instruction to ignore them when they arise.

Meditate with pure devotion and love, have no desires and no expectations of what should happen, or be happening and it will all happen for you

Edited by - karl on Sep 09 2011 04:24:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  05:58:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by boris
when i did anapanasati/breathing meditation or white skeleton meditation I went REALLY deep.And I miss it.One time,I first lost the body,and then the mind itself.I felt like I was turning into a black hole or something.

You had a beautiful experience. I will explain what it was:

Every great magic trick consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called "The Pledge". The magician shows you something ordinary: a deck of cards, a bird or a man. He shows you this object. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed real, unaltered, normal. But of course... it probably isn't.

The second act is called "The Turn". The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn't clap yet. Because making something disappear isn't enough; you have to bring it back. That's why every magic trick has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call "The Prestige".

(Cutter whips the shawl away to reveal the Canary. The Little Girl claps.)

[The Prestige]

The magician has taken you to the second act. "The Turn".

You should feel grateful for that.

But "The Prestige"...

Are you really ready for it?

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  09:39:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi boris

quote:
Is breath meditation normally a deeper meditation method than deep meditation(DM),lol?

Perhaps, but I can't say for sure as I don't practice breath meditation. What I *can* say is that with Deep Meditation, despite it's name, the goal is not to "go deep." The purpose of Deep Meditation is to loosen obstructions along the sushumna pathway. Your experience during Deep Meditation is going to be the result of what is being purified from your system. This is why it is stressed in AYP not to get attached to or seek any specific experience that happens during practice times. The experiences that happen during practices are the result of the specific obstructions being worked through at that time. As the obstructions are worked through and dissolved the experiences during practices will shift into something different. This is why we often go through "phases" of experiences as we continue to do practices. Desiring or striving to have the same experience you did before is like asking your obstructions to stay in your system instead of having them dissolve. If your goal is to have a deep meditation, then perhaps you should stick to breath meditation. If your goal is to come to know yourself as "that which cannot be named", then you will likely have to let go of desiring any specific experience during meditation and may want to continue practicing DM. I guess it all comes down to identifying what you looking for as the outcome of your practices..... Do you want to have a specific short term experience *during* meditation or do you want a 24/7 living experience of unity with all? Figuring out why you are doing practices is going to help you decide which kind of practice is right for you.

Best of luck!

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  10:03:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

What I *can* say is that in Deep Meditation, despite it's name, the goal is not to "go deep." The purpose of Deep Meditation is to loosen obstructions along the sushumna pathway.

It is more a Deep (cleansing) meditation.

You have to figure out for yourself... are you meditating to feel good during meditation, or are you meditating to most effectively dissolve the blocks, so you can experience meditation all through your day (even when you are not doing sitting practices).

Human nature is to "see"/"get" results... the results of AYP deep meditation is subtle in the beginning, in fact it may even seem like you are going in the opposite direction (time to self pace then), but over time the subtle stillness becomes an all pervasive stillness. As we say, this path is a marathon and not a sprint...
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  10:52:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti,

Your answers have a succinct beauty.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  1:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
It is more a Deep (cleansing) meditation.

You have to figure out for yourself... are you meditating to feel good during meditation, or are you meditating to most effectively dissolve the blocks, so you can experience meditation all through your day (even when you are not doing sitting practices).

very well expressed thank you dear Shanti
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  05:45:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
read lesson 280....especially Yogani reply
Go to Top of Page

boris

Norway
68 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  6:30:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit boris's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everybody for very good answers.AYP meditation is the meditation method that have maked me feel best in every day life.I never planned to stop,I was just curious about if it was normal to not go as deep as with other meditations
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000