Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Multiple DM questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jasis

Germany
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  03:45:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

I have been practising SBP and DM for a few months (10 + 20, twice a day) and have a heap of questions. Please bear with me

Ok, here goes...

First is mantra repetition. I am using the 1st enhancement, so repeating " Sri Sri I am". I say the mantra and then let it go. At this point my awareness is, lets say "waiting for a thought to occur" so that I can notice the thought and then go back to the mantra. Is this correct ? I read in another thread here that one should gently repeat the mantra " back to back" so with no pause between repetitions. Which is correct, please?

2nd point... Sometimes I notice a thought (in words). More often than not I become aware of a scene, flying over a city, over the sea, looking at trees or flowers, you get the idea.. Does awareness of a scene ( scenery ) also constitute a thought? If a notice a scene then I realise I am again off the mantra, so I go back to the mantra.

3rd point, fuzziness of the mantra. Often I will start and the mantra is quite clear, though quiet. During the DM the mantra becomes almost just an intention, so I dont say it in my mind, rather intend it. Its like my mind makes a small ripple which is not vocalised and is the intention of the mantra. If I vocalise anything its usually just the first "Sri" and then rest is not even intended. Is this correct please?

Finally, I notice that during DM my head usually falls slowly down towards my breast bone. Sometimes I notice this and then start an internal discussion... "hmm should I raise my head" bah another internal analysis during DM

As you can probably see, I tend to over analyse. Despite this I have noticed an increase in calmness and slow rise of nameless joy so its going in the right direction.

The members of this forum are a source of inspiration for me on the path and I cant put into words the gratitude I feel for having " stumbled " onto AYP and this community.

Love Jasis

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  10:36:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Whatever the awareness is doing or not doing does not really matter in-between mantra repetitions. The mantra instructions as I understand them from readings and clarifications on here is to not over-complicate them. Yes, I follow the 'back to back' repetition as well, and allow whatever happens or does not happen with the mantra and simple meditation instructions to run its course in time. We can't control what happens, just follow the simple instructions which automatically create the right conditions, and the meditation and mantra do the rest.

My impression is absolutely anything beyond the mantra constitutes a thought, and the habit develops where we automatically take any deviations from simple mantra repetition as a cue to return to it without making a big deal about how soon this process occurs (gentle favoring). If we have a choice, we return to the mantra, as the common saying goes.

On the third question, based on the readings, it sounds about right, as in that's how the mantra becomes fuzzy for you, and it's not something we control, but it just happens. I don't remember the various mantra enhancement instructions being different from the starting mantra.

Interesting experience with the mantra enhancement; I haven't used enhancements yet, and the original one has barely 'fuzzied' at all beyond the pronunciation twisting a bit. I find it funny when I do notice how ridiculous my pronunciation becomes, even if it is subtle. "Eehheyy aahhmm" hehe.

I get out of alignment too a bit sitting cross-legged with no back support, and I often have to either refold my legs the other way and give knees and ankles a break, raise myself off the ground to allow my spine to flex a bit (to deal with discomfort), or allow breathing to happen more naturally. It happens so often (once or twice every session, or not) that I know the routine, either get back into alignment, fix it a bit, or let it be otherwise. The posture is there, more or less, the hips and legs are flexing and opening, and I am slowly growing into the posture. No beating with a stick :)

Yes, I'm with you on that! I feel the same about the community and the writings as well. It has given me a reason to smile and live, as opposed to going on with chronic despair and overdoings at the expense of well-being.
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  11:08:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jasis

First is mantra repetition. I am using the 1st enhancement, so repeating " Sri Sri I am". I say the mantra and then let it go. At this point my awareness is, lets say "waiting for a thought to occur" so that I can notice the thought and then go back to the mantra. Is this correct ? I read in another thread here that one should gently repeat the mantra " back to back" so with no pause between repetitions. Which is correct, please?

The back to back one is correct.
quote:

Does awareness of a scene ( scenery ) also constitute a thought? If a notice a scene then I realise I am again off the mantra, so I go back to the mantra.

Yes. Scenery/Images/Thoughts all are considered off mantra. You just go back when you realize that.
quote:

3rd point, fuzziness of the mantra. Often I will start and the mantra is quite clear, though quiet. During the DM the mantra becomes almost just an intention, so I dont say it in my mind, rather intend it. Its like my mind makes a small ripple which is not vocalised and is the intention of the mantra. If I vocalise anything its usually just the first "Sri" and then rest is not even intended. Is this correct please?

That's correct. Just an intention.

quote:

Finally, I notice that during DM my head usually falls slowly down towards my breast bone. Sometimes I notice this and then start an internal discussion... "hmm should I raise my head" bah another internal analysis during DM

I'll let someone more experienced answer this but I guess you can either get your head back or meditate that way if it doesnt feel comfortable.
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  11:23:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by nearoanoke

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by jasis

I'll let someone more experienced answer this but I guess you can either get your head back or meditate that way if it doesnt feel comfortable.

Hi all,

I also experience the neck bending forward almost every time in meditation.

Initially I used to go with this. But due to overload issues I am in and out of practice recently. Now I feel that this may be some automatic yoga (jalandhar bandha or somthing like this may be?). Yesterday I tried to resist that and kept my head high. In almost three minutes I got pain in my neck which extended towards upper back through some channel. It was very uneasy, still quite bearable. Pain was gone in one hour and later I think I heard some sounds in the center of the pain, sound like that from breaking a matchstick. I thought it was some purification, because I am getting this sort of sound from my nose, ear, and other parts above neck for some time after starting practice. Those mostly happen when some overload symptom subsides.

So I am also eager to know what people thinks about this neck bending factor.

lots of love
Go to Top of Page

jasis

Germany
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  12:07:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All,

Thanks for the responses! Wow, using the mantra back to back sure makes the dive inwards happen faster. All the usual scenery pops up as before but now there seem to also be blank parts, no thoughts, no pictures, no matra and I'm not even aware they occured until a thought comes along, "...huh? What was that, Oh, a thought, ok Shree Shree..." Back to back repetition seems to have increased the cleaning flow...

Also interested to hear more from people who are having the head fall forwards (only the head, spine stays supported in my tall-backed chair).

love
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  06:45:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I go along with anything that is happening during DM unless it is taking my focus away from the mantra and the head dipping downwards, sometimes all the way to the floor happens automatically and does not divert my attention away from AYAM.

May I add that it is usual, and I believe recommended, to start with the basic AYAM mantra for some time before adding any enhancement such as shree shree

Sey
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  11:18:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
The head dropping forward is a sign of energy blockage in or around throat/third eye.When the head drops it opens the route for the energy and which is why if you keep the head up by force you may find a build up of energy/pain in the neck region.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  12:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot riptiz,

lately I was of the impression that neck bending is contributing to the crown sensation overload. Today I did it again with head straight - it was uneasy, but the paain part was not there.

however, as you say, i guess I would better let the neck choose it's natural way...

thanks and lots of love jasis - all the best.
Go to Top of Page

jasis

Germany
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  9:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All,

Thanks so much for the responses. I will continue to allow my head to fall where it may during DM. In time, the blocks will work themselves out.

Love Jasis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000