Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Best time to sit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Searching

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  4:12:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
After use of the search option, I've been unable to find a definitive answer to this question. Can meditation immediately after waking up in the morning have adverse effects? It doesn't seem to make a difference but I have just started DM 6 weeks ago.
My routine so far has been to get right out of bed and into the sitting chair for 20 min of DM and then a meal.
I have a short window of time in the morning to sit before my bird starts her morning screeching and flights around the room. There is nowhere else in the house for me to go due to 5 other family members living in the same house. Outside is not an option as I live on the corner of a busy/noisy street.

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  4:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Searching and welcome to the AYP forums

I have been doing the same as you. I am up at 5:30am, move directly to my meditation seat and do my practices until 6:30am, and then am off to work for 7am. I've been doing this routine for a couple of years (or so) now. The only adverse effects I have noticed is when I go to bed too late (like 1 or 2am) and wake up tired. Then I notice that I can "lose consciousness" during meditation easier. I would recommend that you just continue as you are.

Best of luck!

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Searching

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  4:32:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Hi Searching and welcome to the AYP forums

I have been doing the same as you. I am up at 5:30am, move directly to my meditation seat and do my practices until 6:30am, and then am off to work for 7am. I've been doing this routine for a couple of years (or so) now. The only adverse effects I have noticed is when I go to bed too late (like 1 or 2am) and wake up tired. Then I notice that I can "lose consciousness" during meditation easier. I would recommend that you just continue as you are.

Best of luck!

Love!

Thanks Carson, You actually have much to do with me starting AYP, after I heard your interview about your story. You have really inspired me to keep at this as I can relate to what you have been through. I listen to that interview frequently when I start to feel anxious and discouraged about the constant anxiety I continue to feel. You and Yogani, as well as my brother, who introduced me to AYP, have thoroughly changed my life and it continues to slowly get better. Just working on getting negative thoughts and the subsequent anxiety out of my system due to a life of bad decisions. I constantly ask myself how i'm feeling now that i'm clean and I induce anxiety by doing so. My goal is to stop these thoughts and feel peace for the first time in my life. Thank You Carson, really. You will always continue to inspire me!!.........Adam
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  5:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello Searching
me too i get up at 6 am...wash my face etc...then i sit ...after that the destination is ,,,work

Go to Top of Page

Searching

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  7:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

hello Searching
me too i get up at 6 am...wash my face etc...then i sit ...after that the destination is ,,,work

Well I think I have my answer now. Thanks maheswari, if I wake at 6am, It gives me a lot of time to sit and exercise afterward. Your advice is much appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  3:06:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Adam

Very happy that you found some desire to try AYP after listening to the interview.

About the negative thoughts and the anxiety. In my experience these start to "drop away," same as the addictions do, the longer we practice. One of the benefits of Deep Meditation is that it starts to train the mind to be able to let go of thoughts (by letting go of them in favor of coming back to the mantra). It actually starts to become second nature after a while. I don't know that we will ever "get rid of thoughts" but we will certainly learn to let go of them as they arise and subsequently let go of the suffering that is caused by believing our thoughts.

Anyway, sounds like you have the answer to your question now.... thanks again for the kind words, I'm very happy that *someone* got something out of that interview.

Love!

Go to Top of Page

Searching

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  2:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Hi Adam

Very happy that you found some desire to try AYP after listening to the interview.

About the negative thoughts and the anxiety. In my experience these start to "drop away," same as the addictions do, the longer we practice. One of the benefits of Deep Meditation is that it starts to train the mind to be able to let go of thoughts (by letting go of them in favor of coming back to the mantra). It actually starts to become second nature after a while. I don't know that we will ever "get rid of thoughts" but we will certainly learn to let go of them as they arise and subsequently let go of the suffering that is caused by believing our thoughts.

Anyway, sounds like you have the answer to your question now.... thanks again for the kind words, I'm very happy that *someone* got something out of that interview.

Love!

Thank You Carson for the reassurance. It has been a tough road to travel for sure. Sometimes I wonder when it will be alright. The suffering gets very hard to deal with everyday. I do notice some changes though as far as letting go of the thoughts. There is definitely a difference. This is why I always try to make sure that I'm doing this right such as my question about when in the morning to sit. I just want to maximize the result without overloading. Keep in touch ..............Adam
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000