Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Physical movements in Samyama and life
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  10:37:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

Since a about two months ago I have been experiencing a lot of physical movements in my body while practicing the lightness sutra in Samyama. It all started in the middle of a retreat however I believe it had less to do with the retreat and more to do with the fact that there for the first time I allowed the movements to happen. Anyway the movements started in the form of my lower back trying to straighten up. Then in a few weeks it changed into a totally different movement. now the way it happens is that my chest muscles (the ones behind and around my nipples) all of a sudden contract and as a result of it, my both arms hit the sides of my body! In the beginning it happened every 5 seconds for as long as I practiced the lightness Sutra. However recently the movements happen in the meditation as well. On every repetition of the mantra my chest muscles contract and my arms hit my torso on both sides! Today I noticed that even when I consciously try to be in the moment or accept my current life situation these movements start and continue for as long as I remember that I'm accepting my life! As soon as I forget and get lost in my thoughts the movements stop.

Considering that these movements have been happening for over two months now, I'm wondering if I need to do anything about them. They're not very annoying to me at the moment so I didn't feel the need to reduce my practice time. However, this doesn't seem natural and I'm wondering if there's any way I can stop them so that I could go deeper in my meditation and Samyama.

I appreciate your comments.
Emil

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  4:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing this. It is definitely interesting to know.

If it is affecting your meditation or regular life, I think backing off on the lightness sutra for a while might help.

- Near
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  5:28:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Emil

Considering that these movements have been happening for over two months now, I'm wondering if I need to do anything about them. They're not very annoying to me at the moment so I didn't feel the need to reduce my practice time. However, this doesn't seem natural and I'm wondering if there's any way I can stop them so that I could go deeper in my meditation and Samyama.

I appreciate your comments.
Emil

Intuition says, since it is not annoying, to keep going. It feels like something is trying to clear out and it will pass soon, and one day you will realize it hasn't happened in a while.
If however it does get annoying or distracting, you may want to self pace. One thing Yogani says helps automatic movements is adding asanas to the beginning of your routine.
Here is his lesson on Automatic movements.
http://www.aypsite.org/183.html
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  9:49:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti & Near,
I feel that my body has had the tendency to do these movements for a while (specially when practicing the lightness sutra) but in the past I never allowed them to happen. So I think if I try to control them for a few days/weeks they would probably stop for good but I wonder if this is the right thing to do. Do you think these movements are generally a requirement for the purification to happen or can I go ahead without them? And is the general instruction for meditation and Samyama to allow these movements or to sit still? Or should I control them in meditation but allow them to happen in Samayama?
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  07:34:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Emil,
Just be easy with whatever is happening- keep coming back to meditation/ samayama - whatever process you are in. When you notice you are thinking about the movement-- should I control it / is this natural etc.- it is time to come back to the mantra.

Having or not having the movements is not a requirement. I have a lot of swaying / whirling during Meditation and Samayama - but it does not get distracting- I dont encourage it or try and push it away.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000