Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Anyone experience this?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Searching

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  10:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Deep meditation slows your metabolism, correct? Yogani suggests you couple your DM with exercise (great idea). I want to start doing the P90X workouts which increase metabolism. What happens with this contradiction?
I already have high metabolism as I eat at least 4 meals a day and I'm still 140 lbs at 5' 10" tall.
It's the only exercise program I have and that is why I want to use it. I watched my younger brother lose a lot of weight and now he eats anything and gains no weight, so I'm certain it does increase metabolism.

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  07:06:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Searching

Sounds good. I like to swing some kettlebells about and it hasn't affected AYP.

Just make sure you do your exercise after your sitting practice, or schedule your practice a couple of hours after exercise.

Edited by - woosa on Aug 27 2011 07:22:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Searching

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  11:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Woosa for your input. You always do have good advice. Between daily meditation and exercise, it should keep my mind off negative thoughts which lead to anxiety.
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  1:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Searching
You always do have good advice.

Not always. My financial advice sucks.

Anyway, I am just repeating what I have read on here and from experience.

And that's all thanks to Yogani!

Edited by - woosa on Aug 27 2011 1:42:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  1:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Exercise is very good for meditation. It feels very refreshing to speed up with exercise and slow down with meditation. Like Woosa says, wait in between usually. Sometimes it's fun to see how fast you can slow down your heart after exercise by meditating. But you won't go as deep.
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  1:52:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You might also find the exercise turns into meditation. As I find it calms the mind and you get 'into the zone' (cliche, I know, sorry).

Just make sure you don't drift off too much with heavy weights precariously balanced over your head.
Go to Top of Page

Searching

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  2:13:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by woosa

quote:
Originally posted by Searching
You always do have good advice.

Not always. My financial advice sucks.

Anyway, I am just repeating what I have read on here and from experience.

And that's all thanks to Yogani!

Woosa, I will be sure not to ask you how to balance my checkbook
Again thanks for the great advice!
Go to Top of Page

Searching

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  2:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

Exercise is very good for meditation. It feels very refreshing to speed up with exercise and slow down with meditation. Like Woosa says, wait in between usually. Sometimes it's fun to see how fast you can slow down your heart after exercise by meditating. But you won't go as deep.

Etherfish, Thank you also for your advice.

What I plan to do is meditate first thing in the morning after waking, as usual. Then 1 hour of P90X workouts. Finally a meal and off to work I go.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  2:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This topic reminds me of the constant time-management I have to do between everyday life, meals, exercising, AYP, and sleep. None of those go well bunched up together no matter how one rearranges them. It does take a lot of discipline to have a flexible longer-term plan to make it work while also cutting back on idle things (which incidentally are also helpful to avoid burnout), but at least we're on to something.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000