Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Samyama and Projection
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Natalia777

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  12:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I began studying the Yoga Sutra at SwamJ.com a couple of weeks ago. It is probably the most profound text I have read in years. From there I began looking for a source to better explain/elaborate on Samyama, which is how I found Yogani. I read Lesson 150 and practiced Samyama last night. It was quite a powerful experience. It is so simple/subtle yet so powerful. I tend to over complicate things, and Swami Vivekananda tends to present it in such a strict hardcore way!

Anyways, this brings me to my main question, are there any online lessons or books that contain meditations to assist in astral projection or the process thereof? I've grown in abundance spiritually over the past many years, yet projection has still eluded me. I have read a few books on the matter, but none that I have read really include the science of Yoga. Any insight or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Natalia

Vayu

USA
40 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  2:01:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings Natalia, welcome to the forum

I tried the Samyama procedure given by Yogani once and it does feel amazing. I like it way more than meditation. But for now, Im just trying to take one practice at a time and cultivate more inner silence first via Deep Meditation of AYP before I move on to Samyama. This is said to be more effective than doing only Samyama with little inner silence. But Im really looking forward to when I start practicing daily again.

Regarding Astral Projection, I have never experienced it either. This is a great thread(http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=4058), which lists a lot of techniques as well as other resources(websites, books). Check it out. Unfortunately, I usually fall asleep while trying any projection or lucid dreaming techniques, lol. And Im too lazy to try the WBTB and other techniques that require you to wake up for some time in the middle of the sleep. But I have found that keeping a daily dream journal is very helpful. I just use a dairy software and log everything there. I haven't had any projection from this yet but it has greatly improved my ability to recall full dream sequences without any breaks in the middle. After doing this for a few months, the frequency of lucid dreaming also went up for me.

Edited by - Vayu on Aug 20 2011 2:15:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  5:39:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Natalia,

astral projection and other such things are said to arise naturally as one progresses with AYP, and are collectively regarded as scenery, which can be indulged in if that's the intention so long as it does not disrupt the core practices as well as sleep (which is also very helpful for core practices and daily living). So the one option, and in my opinion the only real option, is to apply AYP or whatever other practice over time so we can develop from the ground up, in the most direct way possible, without delay and detours.

Many astral projection books rely on one's ability to induce a deep trance, which really parallels AYP's deep meditation practice from what I can tell. Some, like Robert Bruce, make use of techniques like tactile imaging and mobile body awareness at the periphery of the body; AYP does too in a way, except working with the spine which aims for global purification.

Inducing lucid dreams could be a stepping stone to AP, and for that you could pick up a copy of stephen laberge's book. Personally, I found the WBTB method to work very well after a lot of fine-tuning, since it relies on the body's natural biorhythms, but it does by definition work by disrupting sleep. I've never been able to tell the difference between lucid dreaming and the so-called AP, but either way, they occur in the theta-alpha brainwave range which is still 'light years' too far above where NDEs occur
Go to Top of Page

Natalia777

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  9:22:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the replies. I do agree. It seems the more I practice samyama, the more I can very much see astral projection becoming a very possible result, or side-result rather.

Samyama, to me, seems like the launching pad for almost any 'magickal', to use the word lightly, happening. I can see how perhaps practicing samyama on the very meaning of projection, could def result in projection. It reminds me of the "spirit awake, body asleep" state, or the vibrations felt before one leaves the body. When I practice samyama on strong meanings, the energy rippling through my body can become very strong, again similar to the 'buzzing' people talk about and 'fear' they have because of the sheer activity of prana right before leaving the body.
Go to Top of Page

psychicexplorer

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  9:57:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit psychicexplorer's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Good AP book:
http://amzn.com/0062513710
(Adventures beyond the body by William Buhlman)
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  12:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting effect with samyama.

The vibrations we feel have been measured and named PGO waves (for the pattern of neural firing between those three regions). Not to say that's all that they are, of course. In my experience, they can be useful for giving a bit of a startle to waken partially at the entry point of sleep, though it has to be a fine balance. In some way, I felt that it may be possible to influence them somewhat, by intentionally increasing their amplitude and frequency. They can even creep up when awake and resting after being very sleep deprived.

In any case, I imagine later on in our path as we refine our connection to inner silence and the energy counterpart it won't be a costly affair to maintain a fine state of awareness while the body drifts off to sleep, and by then it will probably be happening naturally and easily without any elaborate techniques.

Good luck to fellow travelers!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000