Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Are you omniscient?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  12:56:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi, :)
In "Stages of Meditation", the Dalai Lama says this:
quote:

The Buddha worked for the benefit of other sentient beings, achieved omniscience, and now has the capacity to benefit all sentient beings, whereas we ordinary sentient beings, even though we have tried our best to fulfill our personal well-being, because of our self-centrered attitude not only have not achieved omniscience, but we are still in the cycle of existence. Even in the case of the achievement of nirvana, if we pursue it mainly out of self interest, it will be just solitary liberation or liberation without omniscience. This is also due to our self-centered attitude.

Is that why there are so many people these days who declare that they are enlightened, but haven't achieved omniscience?

Comments?

:)
TI

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  04:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Tibetan_Ice

Hi, :)
In "Stages of Meditation", the Dalai Lama says this:
quote:

The Buddha worked for the benefit of other sentient beings, achieved omniscience, and now has the capacity to benefit all sentient beings, whereas we ordinary sentient beings, even though we have tried our best to fulfill our personal well-being, because of our self-centrered attitude not only have not achieved omniscience, but we are still in the cycle of existence. Even in the case of the achievement of nirvana, if we pursue it mainly out of self interest, it will be just solitary liberation or liberation without omniscience. This is also due to our self-centered attitude.

What made Buddha work for the benefit of other sentient beings, achieve omniscience, and gave Buddha the capacity to benefit all sentient beings?

The guru is in you... remember?

Q: Each Guru will refer me to his own Guru. Where is the starting point?

M: There is a power in the universe working for enlightenment -- and liberation. We call it Sadashiva, who is ever present in the hearts of men. It is the unifying factor. Unity -- liberates. Freedom -- unites. Ultimately nothing is mine or yours -- everything is ours. Just be one with yourself and you will be one with all, at home in the entire universe.

~ Nisargadatta [I Am That]

quote:

Is that why there are so many people these days who declare that they are enlightened, but haven't achieved omniscience?

A liberated person has no concept/idea of omniscience.

Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  06:31:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What's Omniscience I am Jack, Fred, Mabel, Omniscient. Words get in the way and ideas and concepts are of the mind.

You can only help others by helping yourself first, realising that the world you see around you is actually inside you, all concepts and names belong to that world and are only relevant there.

Realising your true nature means that the world to which those words belong is irrelevant. It is not becoming, it is what you already are, the world that you create hides the truth.
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  08:17:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Liberation= Waking up from your dream

Omniscience= Knowing what every one else is/was/will-be dreaming

I think Omniscience is an illusion and if not at the best it will be a bunch of siddhis put together. Like "Thought Reading", "Future Knowing" etc...

It may be a wonderful thing to achieve at our current dream state but something the liberated care less about and infact treat as a side track to the goal of liberation.

- Near

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  10:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I *am* omniscient.... I totally knew you were going to post this topic.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  11:43:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just get a job working as someone who monitors the CCTV in city centres.
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  6:54:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi :)
Well, I just finished watching the Star Trek episode of the "True Q". That is a very deep episode. Can you imagine being able to fulfill all of your desires, no matter how great? When the young female Q's romance with Riker wouldn't work out, even if she magically forced Riker to 'love' her, she realized that she was unsatisfied. She said, "it feels empty".

And then from another perspective, the book I'm reading called "Stages of Meditation" by the Dalai Lama claims that even the Gods are unhappy because of change. Absolutely nothing is permanent. Everything is empty!

I've concluded that buddhist emptiness is Presence/God/emptiness/the Tao/inner silence. All form has an inherent dependency on it. And there is a constant flow from that source to the outer dimensions, and that flow is called "Love". If you jump in a go with the flow, you burst your bubble, you become part of it and then you get the magical powers (omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence). If you remain focused on yourself, you never break the bubble around yourself and jump in the flow. Perhaps you can get a temporary taste of it, but after that one taste, you return to your bubble.

I wonder if those who missed out, those who were selfishly liberated can go back and do it over, because without omniscience, what is the point?

TI

Edited by - Tibetan_Ice on Aug 16 2011 12:33:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  11:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The Dalai Lama like every other awakened beings tries to put into words that which can't be understood with words. His first sentence is the most important.

"The Buddha worked for the benefit of other sentient beings"
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  12:49:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I wonder if those who missed out, those who were selfishly liberated can go back and do it over, because without omniscience, what is the point?

"selfishly liberated"

Now that is one higly illogical term.

"Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end." ~ Captain Spock

Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  6:37:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have this fantasy:

A mentally retarded woman gets the gift of "omniscience"! So at some level, she knows everything there is to know, or has Buddha-mind, or something like that, but given her brain functioning limitations, she cannot process it at a level that most people can understand. Nevertheless, when people are near her, they start functioning better. She is from, let's say Germany, a child of a single deaf/mute mother on German welfare, but at age 29 she gets invited to China, and although she cannot process the Chinese language, having never been exposed to it directly, she gets invited to the highest circles of intellectual and political influence there, just because people can feel the gift somehow, and they know that she knows.
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  01:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bewell

I have this fantasy:

A mentally retarded woman gets the gift of "omniscience"! So at some level, she knows everything there is to know, or has Buddha-mind, or something like that, but given her brain functioning limitations, she cannot process it at a level that most people can understand. Nevertheless, when people are near her, they start functioning better. She is from, let's say Germany, a child of a single deaf/mute mother on German welfare, but at age 29 she gets invited to China, and although she cannot process the Chinese language, having never been exposed to it directly, she gets invited to the highest circles of intellectual and political influence there, just because people can feel the gift somehow, and they know that she knows.

Hi Be. :)
Have you ever seen "Being There" with Peter Sellers?

TI
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  08:47:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Have you ever seen "Being There" with Peter Sellers?

I see that came out in '79, the year I graduated from High School. Checking out the Academy Award winners that aired in '79, I recall having seen all of them except Being There. I watched the trailer on UTube and it is so similar to my fantasy that it makes the fantasy seem derivative. I'm perplexed. Was my fantasy influenced by that movie? Did I see the movie and and forget seeing it? I do not know.

Edited by - bewell on Aug 17 2011 08:48:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

GogetaSwami

India
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  3:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Have you read "Crystal and the Way of Light" by Norbu?

It is like "Autobiography of a Yogi" on steroids i.e. there are many mystical stories.

Edited by - GogetaSwami on Aug 22 2011 3:52:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  6:57:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by GogetaSwami
Have you read "Crystal and the Way of Light" by Norbu?

It is like "Autobiography of a Yogi" on steroids i.e. there are many mystical stories.

Hi GogetaSwami :)
No, I have never read it. Thank you very much for the reference. I have ordered the book.
Thanks again.

TI
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000