Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Difficulties in the sessions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willie

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  12:29:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been meditating for about 2 months now and until about 3 weeks ago was fairly satisfied with the sessions and feeling a bit less stress in some aspects of my life : not a lot less but some amount.

Anyway I was getting the mantra fading into a much less tangible sound and rhythm and feeling pretty relaxed in my sessions. I now realise that I should have been focussing on the “IAM” sound when I realised I was off it rather that allowing it to drift even when I realised it was different so I put that into practice and ever since, I have been struggling.

Hi folks,

The last couple of weeks, I have been getting thoughts coming from everywhere and am continually analysing the process as I try to focus on the mantra but find myself unable to concentrate on it.

I have also found the mantra to be unwieldy and clunky to my mind and find it very difficult to relax into it. I want it to change into something more like ”EEYOHM” and have to fight against it all the time. It changes tempo and the emphasis on the two syllables constantly changes.

I’m really finding it a bit of a struggle and am usually glad the session is over. Surely this can’t be right? I’d be very glad of any advice to help me through this.

Willie

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  3:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Focus and concentration are not necessary--in fact, they are prohibited! Emphasize nothing. Focus on nothing. Concentrate on nothing. Merely begin to repeat the mantra, and when you become aware that you are no longer thinking the mantra (in ANY form), but are off on thoughts, then easily come back to it. Never mind the process, the drifting, the mantra fading, becoming indistinct or different in any way--speed, rhythm, even pronunciation--just easily and effortlessly begin it, and when you are aware you are no longer on it, easily return.
Michael

Edited by - mikkiji on Aug 09 2011 3:30:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  07:09:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Willie

"Do not resist if the mantra tends to become less distinct. Thinking the mantra does not have to be with clear pronunciation. I AM can be experienced at many levels in your mind and nervous system. When you come back to it, come back to a level that is comfortable, not straining for either a clear or fuzzy pronunciation." http://www.aypsite.org/13.html

With practice the mantra will become more fuzzy and can be just a feeling. However do not try and force to that stage. It will happen naturally. And it might not stay like that.

Tell you what that McDonalds advert that is playing that Dave Clark 5 song is getting on my man boobs. Last night that tune was playing on repeat, loudly, in my head, all the way through my meditation session!

I kept repeating the mantra and then there was no more tune playing. So I said "ah that's nice" and felt relaxed them 'bang' started up again and much worse.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  12:34:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

willie

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  02:41:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help folks. I keep worrying because I read in one of the lessons or heard in one of the interviews that you should avoid the "ohm" sound because it can cause imbalance and I suspect I've been trying so hard to do that , that I've been concentrating overmuch on the sound of the mantra. I also have mis-read some of the lessons and the posts where I have raised this issue. The last couple of times, I've taken a much more relaxed approach and it seems a lot better again.

It is very like me to overcomplicate issues and sometimes get the wrong end of the stick too

Anyway, I have been persevering and intend to continue to do so.

Once again, the help is very much appreciated

Willie
Go to Top of Page

willie

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  09:07:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just re-read the long post on the mantra below this and having digested it properly realise that my original questions were addressed here in the first place. Apologies for wasting space and if a moderator wants to delete this thread, I would have no problem with it

Willie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000