Tantra - A Holistic View of Spiritual Development
 ladies - siddha yoni asana?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  02:48:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Fellow yoginis, I'm wondering about siddha yoni asana (advanced siddhasana for women). Have any of you had success with this asana and if so, can you give me pointers? I only learned about it very recently, on AYP http://www.aypsite.org/T28.html, which is amazing since I have been doing yoga for 35 years and NOBODY else that I know of is teaching this. I REALLY wish somebody had told me about it many, many years ago as I'm sure it would have been extremely helpful! I don't know how useful it will be to me at this point as I already have plenty of sexual energy flowing up the spine nearly continually, but as Gilda Radner said in the Jewess Jeans commercial on Saturday Night Live, "but, it couldn't hurt!" It seems like a really fabulous idea in theory, but thus far my experiments have been disappointing. I am skinny and my pelvic bones are narrow, so my heel tends to press against the bones, which accomplishes nothing. I tried sitting on my waterbed with back against the headboard, but sank down too far for a good meditation position. On the floor using a cushion under my butt I was able to get the heel into a good position, BUT this resulted in asymmetric legs and lack of balance. (I am accustomed to sitting in lotus or half lotus which results in a stable posture with plenty of sexual energy rising in the spine.) If I move the foot forward I can get better balance but then the heel is too far forward of the muladhara position, although some stimulation does occur... I recall many years ago studying the siddhasana instructions in such books as "The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga" by Vishnudevananda, written for men; the text said merely, "this posture is good for celibates." "Good" in what way? I wondered - to prevent sexual stimulation, I assumed, since mainstream yoga said sex is un-spiritual. I remember trying out the posture and saying, "hmm, this can't possibly be right." LOL! I'm intrigued. Please advise. Thanks.

Edited by - Radharani on Aug 06 2011 02:54:45 AM

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  03:29:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i do the first siddasana option mentioned in the lesson...my heel comes under the yoni...i use a cushon under my butt...
quote:
On the floor using a cushion under my butt I was able to get the heel into a good position, BUT this resulted in asymmetric legs and lack of balance.

in your case dear Jamie ...if your knees are dangling in the air....try to put few cushons under them...otherwise drop this asana cause u seem to be doing fine without it...
quote:
"The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga" by Vishnudevananda, written for men; the text said merely, "this posture is good for celibates." "Good" in what way? I wondered - to prevent sexual stimulation, I assumed, since mainstream yoga said sex is un-spiritual. I remember trying out the posture and saying, "hmm, this can't possibly be right." LOL!

llolz...it is a great book....but for years i thought that this asana should be done after "taming" the sexual energy...ie only the accomplished yogi or yogini should sit in that asana cause he/she is undisturbed ,totally neutral to the ecstasy ..lolll...u know like a rock...lolll... this is what is wrongly taught in mainstream yoga...so the seeker like you and me will always think that he/she is not fit yet...that one is still a novice!...thank God
there is ayp to shatter this ...

Edited by - maheswari on Aug 06 2011 03:41:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  08:20:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JamieRadha:

There is always ye old rubber ball or firm little pillow to simulate the heel, which quite a few (both women and men) around here have used. Then you can assume your accustomed sitting posture, with something extra added. Sitting on a soft surface makes for a more comfortable session -- couch may work better than water bed.

Siddhasana is not a prerequisite for continued progress, but another tool in the box -- a rather powerful one for its particular purpose. Beyond the bucking bronco stage, it becomes quite blissfully normal. You may already be there as a result of other tantric activities over the years. Siddhasana adds longer duration pre-orgasmic stimulation during sitting practices (or any time), with corresponding additional ecstatic expansion. It keeps tantric stimulation in the game even when not not thinking about it. A great tool for both celibate and non-celibate yoginis and yogis.

Enjoy!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Kahlia

161 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  8:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The posture is good for activating mula banda, it helps activate the internal heat and fire and aids in purification. It can also assist in pratyahara but I dont have a lot of experience with this.

Sometimes I use this in meditation and sometimes during pranayama but not often. I have very flexible ankles and they are being a bit bothersome, even sitting in padmasana for longer than 20mins seems to cut off the circulation in my feet...

A cushion wedged slightly under the sacrum can help elevate and lift the sacrum forward so its easier and more comfortable. Placement of the other heel in front of the first heel does not seem to really work for me - my ankle and foot wont sit comfortably in this position. I find this too distracting.

Edited by - Kahlia on Aug 07 2011 8:19:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  10:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ladies, and Yogani!
Maheswari, you said:
"llolz...it is a great book....but for years i thought that this asana should be done after "taming" the sexual energy...ie only the accomplished yogi or yogini should sit in that asana cause he/she is undisturbed ,totally neutral to the ecstasy ..lolll...u know like a rock...lolll... this is what is wrongly taught in mainstream yoga...so the seeker like you and me will always think that he/she is not fit yet...that one is still a novice!...thank God there is ayp to shatter this."
I totally share your amusement (and gratitude) in this regard.

Kahlia, the placement of the other foot over the ankle also has not really worked for me; I find it awkward and distracting.

Yogani, I do understand that the mastery of this asana is "not a prerequisite for continued progress," especially since the energy flow is already happening for me pretty consistently. I have always just used a little mulabandha which works great in lotus, half lotus, or even walking around or driving in the car... But, this asana sounded like fun and as you know, I am all about Fun as an offering to the Divine, so I had to check it out. Also I am thinking it might be useful after a long day at work when I am tired and need a little help staying focused.

Well you will be happy to know, I just tried it sitting in an old-fashioned wingback chair which has a moderately soft cushion and a straight back, so I can get the heel into correct position, and the asymmetry of the legs does not bother me while the back is supported, and this is VERY NICE indeed. But I can't get too carried away at the moment because I am working. I plan to do my meditation in that chair this evening and will let you know how it goes. I bet this will work really well with the heart breathing. Unless there's some reason why it is "dangerous" to combine them - but that's never stopped us before, LOL!! Thanks again.

Edited by - Radharani on Aug 10 2011 6:41:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  03:44:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jamie ...Lord Krishna says in the Gita
"But one who remains ecstatic within the self ,self illuminated and fully satisfied within this self only,activities do not exist for him"
(ch.3/11)
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  6:58:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
maheswari, ooh, you said Krishna - Krishna, Krishna, Krishna. Yes - and your point (re "activities") is??? were you recommending that I continue the asana while working? by the way, sorry, I accidentally misidentified your other quote (re: the Book of Yoga) above; I have fixed that.

Well my dears, my experience last night just goes to show, as we discussed on another thread ("growing in ecstatic conductivity"), just when you thought this wonderful yoga journey couldn't get any more intense, it does! I was totally blown away by the results after I found a comfortable seat for this posture. Once the initial writhing, gasping, moaning and giggling had subsided - LOL! - and I was able to steady my breathing after a few minutes, it became exquisite. I was already experiencing a significant amount of ecstasy in my practice (just with mulabandha), but this definitely added intensity. And yes, it combined REALLY WELL with the heart breathing. I am feeling deep persistent obstructions burning away in the most delicious ecstasy. The benefits continued after I laid down to "sleep" but in fact did not get much sleep - but not complaining! I was slightly concerned because I had an early yoga class today, but I believe the best thing I can do for my students is to be in a state of contagious Bliss, and actually I don't feel tired, I feel great. a whole new level.

THANKS, YOGANI AND MY DEAR SISTERS!

Edited by - Radharani on Aug 10 2011 7:51:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  02:24:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
dear Jamie
i was just pointing out how yoga books can provide information in a clear way or in an ambiguous way....main stream yoga books stay ambiguous and do not talk about kundalini inner ecstasy....so the seeker does not have the big picture in mind thus his/her spiritual evolution will be hindered...whereas only in this translation of the Gita the verse (CH.5/24) reffers clearly to ecstasy within...in more traditional Gita translations (Swami Sivananda 's translation for instance) instead of using the word ecstasy you will find the word happy!!!!.....
spiritual books and even religious books are always explained in different ways...words can always be manipualted or remain ambiguous that is why personal experience is the best thing...TGIY !!!
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  4:20:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
dear maheswari, oh, thanks! yes, the texts are all too often ambiguous. what is "TGIY"?
Go to Top of Page

faileforever

USA
190 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  4:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The guru is in you
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  11:44:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
oh, der! thanks.
maheswari, yes, regarding that verse in the Gita (5:24) I note that Prabhupada also translates it as "happiness" and Easwaran says "joy." I guess "ecstasy" was a little too over the top from their point of view...

Edited by - Radharani on Aug 12 2011 04:56:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  04:58:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  12:24:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was telling my best girlfriend about this the other day. I taught her yoga when we were in college and we used to always practice together. I said, "You'll never believe what I just learned about advanced siddhasana, for women" and described my experience. She said, "oh, yeah, I learned siddha yoni asana a few years ago when I was taking a kundalini yoga class [taught by a woman]." I said, "You did?! Why didn't you tell me?!" She said, "I assumed you already knew, otherwise I would have told you." LOL! So apparently there is at least one other person besides AYP teaching this asana.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000