Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Deep meditation and young people
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sanskritbliss

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  10:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I gave my 20 year old son the deep meditation book to read. Then, I felt really weird about it because of all the sexual stuff that comes into it later. He isn't actually open to meditation at all right now, so probably isn't an issue.

(For me, that whole component is new. I never thought about the sexual energy aspect relating to meditation and devotion, and I'm definitely still uncomfortable with it.)

So how does a parent appropriately encourage their child to meditate using this system? (Really, my son is an adult, but still my child.)

In TM, for instance, this same type of meditation is taught, but it is totally G-rated, so no concerns. :)

In fact, it seems to me that some of these mudra practices wouldn't really be appropriate unless your kids weren't around. (Aside from the obvious tantra ones, of course, which go without saying. :))

I'm not trying to be a prude, but it is a concern to me.

I would love Yogani's take on this as well.

Thanks,
Susan

jamuna

Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  08:44:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Susan,
I really don't think you have to worry about the tantra content in the DM book. In fact I really don't think you have to worry about the tantra content in the tantra book. I would say the biggest hurdle you face might be getting your son to meditate without the tantra content.

There are health benefits associated with tantric practices such as blocking and remaining pre orgasmic largely to do with the level of OJAS in the body and I could have benefited from them had I known about them earlier in my adolescence. It could be weird coming from your mother but I don't think the tantra book in your sons hands would do any damage.

Wishing you all the best. Much love
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  09:30:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Susan:

Well, 20 is old enough for a young man to be exposed to the truths of life (as many as can be revealed) and making his own choices on what to do. What resonates will stick, and what does not resonate he may come back to later. Either way, he will have been exposed to truth and make use according to his inclinations. So I think you are wise to have shared the Deep Meditation book with him.

Where we have to be more careful is with the delicacies of youth under 18 years. For that, Lesson 256 was offered: http://www.aypsite.org/256.html
The truth is that the knowledge in AYP is somewhat self-regulating in its application. It is rare that someone (whether child or adult) will engage in practices unless something in them is ready -- the bhakti (spiritual desire) bubbling up there. It is not we as transmitters of knowledge who decide exclusively what is appropriate. Rather, it is the recipient who is receptive or not. This does not mean that we should be exposing children to the principles and practices of tantra. But neither do we have to be fretting they they will somehow be corrupted by exposure to truths which may come to them prematurely. Truth is truth, and we all become aware of its utility in our own time -- when we are ready.

There are others here who have shared deep meditation with their children at various ages, and perhaps a few will share how that has gone.

All the best to you on your path, and to your son on his path!

The guru is in you.

PS: Back when AYP was starting out, it was a major decision whether or not to put so much advanced knowledge on practices out in public. Would people be responsible with it? There have been many (nearly everyone) in the past who said, No, people will get in trouble with this kind knowledge shared openly and not parsed out in tiny pieces person by person (the traditional approach). Well, it has not been true (see Lesson 217). Many have benefited, and there have been far fewer train wrecks than we see coming from teachings that are much more restrictive in sharing knowledge. And we have found a bonus in the open sharing -- the necessity for developing sophistication in the application of "self-pacing," which has been a big step forward in the field of spiritual practices, regardless of what path one may be on.

Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  12:37:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Back when AYP was starting out, it was a major decision whether or not to put so much advanced knowledge on practices out in public.

I'm glad you took the decision. There is too much drama built around such simple stuff. I still feel this is too good to be true. It is like I stumbled upon a gold mine in dream.

Someone aptly called you the American Buddha!
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  05:33:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
After reading the booklet on Tantra, I gave it to my 20 year-old nephew and laughingly told him - And never let it be said that I did not contribute to your education !!

Seysorciere
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000