AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Is My corrected Mantra Procedure right?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yanalroot

16 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  10:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear Freinds hi,
in the past i was doing DM in wrong way for about 4 months, the result was very nice, i was happy after DM + energetic .
but i searched over the forum and collected some points in one file for the right procedure of doing the mantra.BUT after following the (what i think) the right procedure , the results is not same nice like n i before (before means when i did DM in the wrong way in past).
here is the right procedure which i think it is right. can you please read it and comment if there something wrong. i need to know your comments to make sure i am on the right path
thank you very much
++++++++++++++++++++++
1. Keep Mantra procedure simple.

2. Mantra Meaning : Don’t give any attention to any meaning, just take it as I AM only, this word has no relation to English. Don't pay the slightest attention to any "meaning". It's all about the sound.

3. Spell it like same thing of I am in English, or I am a boy.

4. Repeating the mantra : at the beginning you have intentionally and on purpose ( at the start of practice and at start of meditation session to trigger mantra repetition), and then the habit of automatic repetition will contentious alone. After a while you will develop the habit of automatic mantra repetition.

5. Easily repeat the mantra silently inside . Don’t say loud.( This is the meaning of thinking the mantra )

6. Mentally THINK the mantra.

7. When you realize you are not thinking it, then easily come back to it.

8. The goal is to follow the simple procedure of THINKING the mantra, losing it, and coming back to it when you find you have lost it

9. Thinking the mantra does not have to be with clear pronunciation.

10. Don't think....just intone the mantra in your mind silently. Again, it's about the sound. But maybe that's what you meant by "think about". Once you start mantra, let it go and do what it wants.

11. We repeat it inside our mind. We avoid making any external or internal sounds, but the effort needs to be there from our side to repeat it mentally. We need more solid/intentional repetition of the mantra. Of course dont worry that you have to stay on mantra. Thoughts will come. Our goal in meditation is to be repeating mantra as long as (and whenever) we are aware of it.

12. Don't try to control it in ANY way. The only thing to do is this: if you get distracted(thinking about what to make for dinner, etc), start the mantra again. And don't be annoyed with yourself that you got "off" the mantra. This is the heart of the practice, to gently, patiently put yourself back "on" mantra every time you get distracted from it. When you're "on" mantra, let the mantra lead you. Don't try to lead it. Let go. Let go a lot.

13. no control. let go. let the mantra work on you, like someone giving you a massage. Don't tie it to breath, don't worry about it becoming "automatic". Just start it and let go. If you get distracted, start it again and let go again.

14. "Understanding" the process of mantra is just more mind stuff. You are not your mind. The mind tries to hijack every experience. Don't sweat it, just let the mantra work on you and see how it goes. A number of us will tell you it goes very well indeed. Enjoy!

15. Start off with just plain "I am" (as in "I am overly analytical"). Then let it speed up, slow down, mush together, get louder, softer....anything it wants. It may be a very audible sound, or it may just be the feeling of a sound. Mantra knows best. Let it go. If it disappears (because, for example, you're thinking about ways to save money on car insurance), bring it back - in the same quality it was in when you last noticed it before it disappeared.

16. Let the mantra drive you : If you are afraid that by letting mantra go, and go deep and unfettered - or letting YOURSELF go

17. Back-to-back: does not mean some sort of regimented repetition. It means just picking up with mental repetition and not planning anything as we use the mantra. It can get fast or slow, seem stuck in one constant pattern, or have no discernible tempo at all -- just a subtle feeling. None of this is determined by our will (the key point). The neurobiology is what determines it, depending on what is going on with purification and opening at the time, and this will keep changing (there can be experiential plateaus from time to time). This is why we say the experience can be anything, and we don't evaluate it. We just do the procedure. The results will show up in our daily activity, no matter what the experience in meditation may be.
++++++++++++++++++++++
Thanks , i know it is long topic

Sanskritbliss

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  10:44:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. Thank you for doing that. It was so helpful to me.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  11:01:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is all correct. But if you obsess with these points it will get in your way. Better to relax an do the best you can, Then maybe review the points a little.
It's more important to relax, let go of stress, let go of constant thinking, feel the peace. You have plenty of time to perfect the practice over time.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  11:01:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yanalroot

8. The goal is to follow the simple procedure of THINKING the mantra, losing it, and coming back to it when you find you have lost it

Hi yanalroot,

Like you, I am reading the lessons and trying to follow them. So I offer my comments as a fellow reader.

Your point 8 here is right out of the lesson: "The goal is to follow the simple procedure of thinking the mantra, losing it, and coming back to it when you find you have lost it."

In some of your other points you use the phrase "let it go" and "let go" a number of times. That phrase does not come from the DM lessons. Yogani uses that phrase to describe the Samyama practice.

In DM the "losing it" normally happens automatically. The goal is to "follow the simple procedure..." "Losing it" happens, so when we loose it we gently come back to it.

That is how I read the teaching, and it seems to be working fine for me in practice.

Best Regards,

Be

Edited by - bewell on Jul 24 2011 11:05:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

yanalroot

16 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  02:18:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Sanskritbliss i was more than happy once iv read your post, this means i am helping others while helping myself. Etherfish and bewell thank you also, your comments are perfect for me. Yes Yogani expressions are very simple, and he is too precise especially when choosing words describing a status or feeling, but you know i am still a beginner and trying by all means to run my wheel to be parallel with AYP community.Thanks alot
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  04:37:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
as Ether said.....keep it simple ...no tension...
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  09:39:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yanalroot
Yogani expressions are very simple, and he is too precise especially when choosing words describing a status or feeling...

Dear Yanalroot,

I think Yogani's precision is fine, but for me personally, the DM basic instructions could be simplified like this:

1. find a comfortable seated posture with eyes closed
2. gently begin repeating the thought of the sound of the mantra back to back
3. when you become aware of having lost the mantra, gently return to the mantra
4. continue procedure until the end of the DM session

That's the grid I find helpful given my background. You find something else helpful. I did not call anything you said straight out "wrong" because if that is how you read Yogani then it might be ok for you. But teaching others is another matter.

My simplification of the DM instructions or your elaboration are just personal tools to integrate the information. For the community, the standard process is to refer one another back to the AYP teachings. That seems to be the only way to keep the core teachings clear.

And in terms of my own participation on the forum I keep coming back to this: practice what you say you practice and practice what you preach.

Be gentle, act wisely,

Bewell

Edited by - bewell on Jul 27 2011 09:39:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  6:39:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree Be,
I don't understand how people can comprehend all those complex instructions and at the same time turn off the mind. However, after following the simple instructions sometimes a little question comes up, and the answer may be found in the more complex list. That's probably why Yogani presents it as he does; little by little, all the while practicing.
Go to Top of Page

yanalroot

16 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  7:59:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
maheswari, Bewell and Etherfish i appreciate your recommendations, i will do my best to keep it simple. one more thing that i will always come back to AYP community for correction as it enriches my procedure and experience. thanks all
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000