Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Disrupted Meditation Worry
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willie

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  8:20:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi folks. I have only been meditating for a month or so. I have tried to follow the instructions in the book to the letter so it works. Tonight, though, I had had a little wine with a meal at work and when I got home I started to meditate. I wasn't drunk, but soon I realised I should have gone to the bathroom before starting and I had to break off to do the deed! IT took about 2 or 3 mins of a break, but when I started to meditate again I didn't feel good or relaxed.

On reading some posts on the forum and taking advice from the book I realise there is a danger if you incorporate the mantra into your daily life as it will dilute. I wondered if there was a similar danger in breaking off for a call of nature as I did tonight. Will this affect my ability to get full benefits from future meditations? I really feel a little out of sorts as I post this and hope I haven't done anything to spoil future meditation sessions

Willie

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  10:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Willie,

Please be gentle with yourself. What you experienced was one particular incident. Particular incidents come and go, but our regular practices are what count on this path. There are plenty of incidents that can interrupt a meditation session. Be gentle with yourself during an interruption, and being gentle still, carry on with practices when the interruption is over.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  04:17:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
To make it easier to persist in regular practice, it's better to meditate before the use of alcohol, coffee, or any other substances. Over time, you might find them less and less tasty.

(By now, I've told most people around me that I prefer alcohol-free wines or beers. I remeber Calibra in Britain, tasted good to me, as I'm no longer interested in alcohol).
Enjoy your practice!
Hatha
Go to Top of Page

willie

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  07:35:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your replies folks. As I say I'm new to all this and I get a bit worried in case I'm doing it right or wrong etc etc

Anyway, I will persist and take it a bit easier. Also laying of the booze before the meditations sessions at least.

Thanks again

Willie
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  11:59:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes it is all about persistence...good luck
Go to Top of Page

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  4:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Willie,

We've all had nature call during meditation at one time or another. I've even continued meditating "on the bowl", so to speak, as to try and not disrupt the flow of the practice. Wait, did I just say that out loud?

Anyways, just remember that anytime we are interrupted during our practice for any reason, that we count the time away as part of our sitting time, and once we are able to continue our practice we finish out the session as if it never stopped. This ensures that we don't overdo our practice as whether we can feel it or not, things are still happening internally throughout the interruption.

Best wishes on your path.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  06:38:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't meditate at all yesterday. Quite often if I am on holiday with friends there is not enough time to settle for a full session so I'm happy just to snatch the odd minute or two sat on a train, or waiting for a meal to arrive.

Better not to meditate after eating or drinking though. If you get interrupted then just go back to it once the interruption has ended. Just make sure that you only do the total 20mins and not try and start over from scratch.

It's not an exact science either, missing a session, shortening or accidentally lengthening a session makes no difference in the long run, just the commitment to twice daily DM with the understanding that sometimes stuff gets in the way.

It's a bit like training for a run, it's obsessive to do it if you are Ill, injured or have eaten a 5 course meal. If friends invite you to a special event and you don't go because it will upset your meditation, then you are missing out on something good which will add to the feeling of wanting to meditate. Try and keep it all in perspective, meditation is for the long run and the odd missed session is like a few grains of sand missing from a beach.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  5:00:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
If friends invite you to a special event and you don't go because it will upset your meditation, then you are missing out on something good which will add to the feeling of wanting to meditate

very well said....we do not stop our normal day to day life with other people.....
Go to Top of Page

boris

Norway
68 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  12:01:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit boris's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Generally,meditation works best when your nervous system is at its best.Alchohol is nerve posion,so it will normally make it difficult to have an effective or deep meditstion.actually I am very drunk while typing this.But I look forward to get sober and keep meditating
Go to Top of Page

willie

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  3:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much to all of you for your helpful posts. I've been away this weekend so haven't had a chance to reply until now. I did, though manage two sessions every day.

Anyway I'm really grateful and I've sort of chilled out about it all and am trying to relax into it,

thanks again

Willie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000