Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 When you have a lot on your mind?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  02:17:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I probably know the answer to this, being 'easily go back to the mantra".

However it is worth asking. When I have a lot on my mind, be it work or personal life then at times trying to meditate can be difficult as the whole session is taken up with a succession of thoughts with very little recognition I am off the mantra. Although I am aware that the mantra is repeating itself automatically like a lighthouse in a storm and I am aware of it even if the energy of my thoughts are almost totally distracting. I'm thinking that this would represent a challenge during times of extreme grief.

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  02:25:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i did not get your question.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  09:02:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl

I probably know the answer to this, being 'easily go back to the mantra".

Yes.

When there is a lot on our minds, it is becasue that is the level of purification that is being worked on.

There are days when we go deep and lose ourselves (we may feel we were asleep), that is when deeper level purification is going on. something we cannot reach while we are consciously awake.
Then there are days there are only thoughts and thoughts and thoughts, maybe one or two repetitions of "i am"... that is perfect meditation too... we are purifying at the surface level then.

So yes, if ever we become consciously aware we are doing anything but "i am"... we
quote:
Originally posted by karl

'easily go back to the mantra".

There may be days when the thoughts and/or emotions are so strong that it makes us uncomfortable when we meditate. If this ever happens, we can slowly come out of meditation and lie down and just rest for the rest of the time. Sometimes, the rest calms things down too. So as far as possible stay with the procedure, if staying with the procedure makes us uncomfortable or seems impossible, rest for the reaming time.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  09:08:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Karl,

By the nature of you question, you definitely already know the answer.

Just remember that you are giving energy to all of those distracting thoughts. If you don't chase them, they die out on their own. If you are that distracted, try doing some exercise first to break the thought pattern. Focusing first on spinal breathing can also help, because it gives the mind something to do (helping to break the thought pattern).
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  11:36:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jeff

Karl,

By the nature of you question, you definitely already know the answer.

Just remember that you are giving energy to all of those distracting thoughts. If you don't chase them, they die out on their own. If you are that distracted, try doing some exercise first to break the thought pattern. Focusing first on spinal breathing can also help, because it gives the mind something to do (helping to break the thought pattern).

Yes, I already do Pranayama before meditating.

The thoughts are from a situation at work or some important event that needs organising. The meditation usually helps to resolve some challenge that I have, however it seems to be the greater part of the meditation during these times. Usually I just meditate with the odd thought but mainly just disappeared.

These odd busy periods are quite rare and I had decided that they were there for a purpose and have never been exactly a great concern. It was more curiosity than anything else.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  03:49:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
The thoughts are from a situation at work...The meditation usually helps to resolve some challenge that I have, however it seems to be the greater part of the meditation during these times

welcome to the club
Go to Top of Page

Kahlia

161 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  6:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes..the breathing is what helps me to relax, unwind and get into that state where I can go into the mantra and let it flowwwww.

Use the breathe to release and let go... release it all with the out breath. At times when my mind is in over drive (often) I find the longer I sit still the more I relax. Shavasana sometimes works really well for me. If i am really stressed I know the best thing is a good yoga class or a long walk.

Music, aromatherapy help too.

Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  02:34:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by KahliaYes..the breathing is what helps me to relax, unwind (...)

In many pranayamas, you might even do the exhalation a little slower & longer to make it more relaxing.
(And the other way round: If you rather want to wake/energize the system, emphasize full & longer inhalations instead).

Retentions (Kumbhaka) are also helpful in taming the mind; however, I definitely recommend you work through the AYP pranayama lectures step by step - and keep self-pacing in mind.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  05:28:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It happens to me now and again (not often) when I am in such situations of a lot going on in my head to simply get up and go about my business, completely forgetting (until later) that I was in the middle of meditating !
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  05:33:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
llllolllz nice one Sey
Go to Top of Page

Kahlia

161 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  05:39:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kumbhaka yummy!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000