AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 it is all in your mind
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  02:24:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
God will not save you, ...not the grace of a god, not prayer, not a miracle, only enlightenment..... the enlightnement of knowing that it's all in your mind....... thoughts in the mind create the world......no mind no world.... I am IS....

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  08:01:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember when this realization came to me... I was sitting on my bed and suddenly it was there... "its ALL in the freakin' mind".
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  1:21:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We all sure have wonderful imaginations, don't we?

The fact that it's so absolute... NOTHING that can be perceived is real, is what makes it so hard to grasp for the pseudo-individual.

j

Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  1:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, but still real if you experience it that way. That reality doesn't just vanish because you intellectually understand the nature of mind.

To understand the mind with the mind is no understanding at all although it is revelatory

In effect you are saying that your mind is telling you that it doesn't exist. This I think was where Jesus was at when the devil told him to jump off a cliff and let God save him. Your ego rises even higher with those thoughts.

It's great to have the revelation but it's worth pointing out the clever little trap that the mind can set at this point.

This is why we need a certain amount of abiding silence before moving to self enquiry otherwise it simply becomes a philosophical exercise and is not related to true knowledge.

If it was truly relational then the thought would vanish as the mind becomes truly still. No revelations are necessary at that point as both question and answer are instantly nullified. Anything else continues to be the created manifestation of the mind and comes with a circular logic which attempts to make sense of itself in order to continue survival.
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  1:49:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed.

Intellectual understanding alone can drive you mad. There is a saying that not enough samadhi and too much knowledge and one will simply go mad, too much samadhi and not enough knowledge and one will stagnate.

Cultivate inner silence and come back to and abide as the subject of all experience, over and over again.

i've seen a satsang teacher who understood the nature of reality brilliantly but yet she looked like she was going to have a panic attack while giving satsang. Know another neo-advaita teacher whose has a deep understanding but he recently had a psychotic break down and is now heavily medicated. So what good is this self knowledge is it is purely intellectual and not experiential?

That's why i cringe when i hear neo-advaita teachers talk individuals out of practice by telling them that practice further solidifies the false-i because it is the false-i who efforts, who desires enlightenment. Ughh...

Need fertile soil for the seeds of self-knowledge to properly take root and flourish.

Thanks for bringing up that point, karl.

quote:
Originally posted by karl

Yes, but still real if you experience it that way. That reality doesn't just vanish because you intellectually understand the nature of mind.

To understand the mind with the mind is no understanding at all although it is revelatory

In effect you are saying that your mind is telling you that it doesn't exist. This I think was where Jesus was at when the devil told him to jump off a cliff and let God save him. Your ego rises even higher with those thoughts.

It's great to have the revelation but it's worth pointing out the clever little trap that the mind can set at this point.

This is why we need a certain amount of abiding silence before moving to self enquiry otherwise it simply becomes a philosophical exercise and is not related to true knowledge.

If it was truly relational then the thought would vanish as the mind becomes truly still. No revelations are necessary at that point as both question and answer are instantly nullified. Anything else continues to be the created manifestation of the mind and comes with a circular logic which attempts to make sense of itself in order to continue survival.

Edited by - wakeupneo on Jul 20 2011 1:55:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  2:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't think Maheswari and I are talking about giving up practices. I had this realization 4 years back and haven't missed a day of practice.

Sometimes it's just nice to share an experience... and that is all we are doing here.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  3:59:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Sometimes it's just nice to share an experience... and that is all we are doing here.

If it is all in your mind...

... Who are you sharing it with?

Edited by - jeff on Jul 20 2011 4:02:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  4:05:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
where is the guillotine?
folks you are perfectly right....but the mind that is rendered cristal clear through practices is the one going to lead you beyond mind....it is a tool....

"for the person who has controlled the vrittis through meditation there is a merging of the perceiver,perceived and perception,just as a crystal assumes the color of the background"(Patanjali Raja yoga sutras 1.41)
thx Shanti
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  5:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jeff

quote:

If it is all in your mind...

... Who are you sharing it with?

You (a piece of the mind) and the rest of the forum... another piece of the mind.
Why else would anyone hang around here.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  10:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm loving this conversation... and the view from where I sit... and the silhouette of flowers on the dining table in the muted light of blinds behind them. Peace. That was a good question, Jeff.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  08:38:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

You (a piece of the mind) and the rest of the forum... another piece of the mind.

Why else would anyone hang around here.

As Maheswari pointed out...

"for the person who has controlled the vrittis through meditation there is a merging of the perceiver,perceived and perception,just as a crystal assumes the color of the background"(Patanjali Raja yoga sutras 1.41)

Don't we hang out here to learn to go beyond the mind... Or, to realize that the only friends that we hang out with is really just ourself.

Bewell - Being in the moment with your view... Something I can always do more of... Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  09:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Don't we hang out here to learn to go beyond the mind... Or, to realize that the only friends that we hang out with is really just ourself.

We hang out here becasue we do Jeff. Maybe some day we wont. Something I read on FB today (thanks Amoux):
Life is its own purpose and doesn't need a reason to be. That is its beauty.
Life is simply life, and is not trying to prove anything at all.
- Tony Parsons

Thanks for this.
There are 2 ways to look at this... from one the perspective the crystal is changing to match the background(we are changing to realize "that").... from another perspective the crystal has now become one with all (we realize we were always "that" and everyone around is "that"). From one perspective we are hanging out to become one with all (go beyond the mind, cannot become one with all while mind is in control), from another we are hanging out becasue we realize we are all one.

PS: For some reason, this post does not like the word "t o n y" in it.
Go to Top of Page

Arjuna

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  09:58:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The person writing this message has yet to experience what all of you are discussing. Although for the past few months, I am experiencing a strange feeling as though something is aproaching...almost a sense of impending doom. It is as if I am on the precipice of a shift in perception that will be unlike anything I can imagine. It is both exciting and terrifying to my current situation.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  11:04:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

quote:

We hang out here becasue we do Jeff. Maybe some day we wont. Something I read on FB today (thanks Amoux):
Life is its own purpose and doesn't need a reason to be. That is its beauty.
Life is simply life, and is not trying to prove anything at all.
- Tony Parsons

I am not really trying to disagree, just pointing out the difference in what you and Maheswari were saying. I agree completely with the above quote and said basically the same thing in my comment to Bewell, "Being in the moment with your view... "

Peace & Love.

p.s. Glad things worked out with Tony.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  11:06:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

p.s. Glad things worked out with Tony.

Someone put him in the bad word list .. all fixed now.

Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  11:12:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Arjuna,

Sounds like good things are happening. First you "feel the flow", then you start to "go with it".

The rest is just learning to smile a lot...

But be careful, you find that you want to play like a kid again...
Go to Top of Page

Arjuna

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  11:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jeff,

How prophetic is your comment to "want to play like a kid again". I am 50 yeras old, and have been practicing AYP for ~2 years.
Anyway, last week I bought a bicycle, and have been riding around my neighborhood spontaneously resurrecting the way I felt when I was a child. Happy, peaceful, full of energy, and an overwhelming sense of wonder!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  12:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Arjuna

The person writing this message has yet to experience what all of you are discussing. Although for the past few months, I am experiencing a strange feeling as though something is approaching...almost a sense of impending doom. It is as if I am on the precipice of a shift in perception that will be unlike anything I can imagine. It is both exciting and terrifying to my current situation.

Hi Arjun,
I have gone though those moments of "feeling of impending doom" too. At times it has to do with purification and/or pre-openings, but at times it has to do with unconscious fear of what is going on in our lives right now (which is purification too... we go through our lives in fear, but dont recognize the "feeling of impending doom", till we open enough to catch it... so the fact that you can separate and identify this this is a big step in our path). Do you practice any form of self inquiry? Look into this and see if it maybe something that can be inquired into and let go.

And you have the "shift in perception that will be unlike anything I can imagine." right... the shifts are nothing like we imagine. They are really tiny and yet change us from within.

Continue with your practices. Good things are happening.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  12:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Arjuna

Jeff,

How prophetic is your comment to "want to play like a kid again". I am 50 yeras old, and have been practicing AYP for ~2 years.
Anyway, last week I bought a bicycle, and have been riding around my neighborhood spontaneously resurrecting the way I felt when I was a child. Happy, peaceful, full of energy, and an overwhelming sense of wonder!

Arjuna,

I also turn 50 in a few months, but as you are finding out, age is just part of the body-mind. That "sense of wonder" is what Jesus was talking about with "be like a child". A "sense of wonder" is highly underrated, and far more important than worrying about states of mind.

Peace, Love, and everybody come out and play...

Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  11:07:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

God will not save you, ...not the grace of a god, not prayer, not a miracle, only enlightenment..... the enlightnement of knowing that it's all in your mind....... thoughts in the mind create the world......no mind no world.... I am IS....

even "Iam" is gone..only that remains is "IS"

Love n Light
Viji
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000