Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Spiritual systems - relative sensitivity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wil

Sweden
156 Posts

Posted - May 09 2024 :  6:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

I have deep respect for AYP and have been practicing it for soon 5 years with good results. The last two years have been with frequent and diligent self pacing with only 10 min of meditation though, and overload if doing 1 minute more of spinal breathing or DM.

I now stopped AYP because I decided to try another similar system. This system used 15 min+ spinal breathing(more or less) followed by meditation plus extremely advanced practices in relation to how AYP sees it...and I seem to be ok without overload!?

My mind now wonder if there is something to practices being formally consecrated that makes them less taxing on the subtle nervous system? May there be some initiation or blessing behind a practice that makes it easier to practice for some people?

I'm not sure Yogani has done something formal like that with the AYP practices as it also does not require initiation. It may sound disrespectful, again I know AYP is powerful anyway, but does anyone know if he has blessed or formally consecrated the practice?

Christi

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - May 09 2024 :  10:19:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wil,

Blessing practices and consecrating practices is not part of the AYP system. Of course it is something that some people do in some schools of yoga and that is fine.

If you are struggling with sensitivity to the mantra and with overload in general, then you may find this lesson useful:

Lesson 367 - Suggestions for Over-Sensitive Meditators

And these lesson additions:

Addition 367.1 - Using Nadi Shodana when Sensitive to Spinal Breathing

Addition 367.11 - For Sensitive Meditators: When to Switch from Mantra to Breath as Object

However, if you have found a system of practices that works well for you, then it could be best to stick with that.
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
540 Posts

Posted - May 09 2024 :  11:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wil, You raise an interesting point and one that I think is critical. We each need to embrace the practices we choose without any inner conflict. This is similar to taking medicines "blessed" by a physician. Many people seek care from alternative practitioners as they feel better with a different approach, and are distrusting of Western medicine or the specific doctor. There are rare situations in which avoiding the traditional medical paths can be harmful to the patient (a fatal cancer that could be cured with the appropriate western treatment). Trust is a commodity in short supply these days. If we don't trust we may be "taxing... the subtle nervous system". Interestingly I have a friend who lived in a commune years ago. He left as he couldn't fully "trust" his guru in the way he needed to make further progress. Yogani has given a gift to us all with his practices, but they do require trust. Yogani often suggests we give it a try and see for ourselves. The problem with that approach is we can be confused by our progress or side effects and not feel clear on how much self pacing is needed. Fortunately we have this wonderful community to help guide us along. If you've found a teacher you trust and you are doing better, that's great.
Go to Top of Page

Wil

Sweden
156 Posts

Posted - May 10 2024 :  9:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As always, thank you Christi!

Rereading this lesson speaks to me in terms of the mindset I need to be reminded of, I also found this interesting as samyama may still be practiced with breathing meditation if inner silence is cultivated

"Those engaged in breath meditation may find a more comfortable path of additional practices leading through samyama, self-inquiry and karma yoga (service)"

https://www.aypsite.org/367.html
Go to Top of Page

Wil

Sweden
156 Posts

Posted - May 10 2024 :  10:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by interpaul

Wil, You raise an interesting point and one that I think is critical. We each need to embrace the practices we choose without any inner conflict. This is similar to taking medicines "blessed" by a physician. Many people seek care from alternative practitioners as they feel better with a different approach, and are distrusting of Western medicine or the specific doctor. There are rare situations in which avoiding the traditional medical paths can be harmful to the patient (a fatal cancer that could be cured with the appropriate western treatment). Trust is a commodity in short supply these days. If we don't trust we may be "taxing... the subtle nervous system". Interestingly I have a friend who lived in a commune years ago. He left as he couldn't fully "trust" his guru in the way he needed to make further progress. Yogani has given a gift to us all with his practices, but they do require trust. Yogani often suggests we give it a try and see for ourselves. The problem with that approach is we can be confused by our progress or side effects and not feel clear on how much self pacing is needed. Fortunately we have this wonderful community to help guide us along. If you've found a teacher you trust and you are doing better, that's great.

It is interesting to see your view Interpaul. I think trust is the right word for it. I actually brought this exact question up while starting my other practice. The master had been talking about how complete trust will make the practice deeper, or something akin to that. I did disregard his words as something for people who had not practiced spiritual practice before. Then I asked: "how can I completely trust you, and show you that I trust you?". The master told me that I trust by coming there simply. That which was very true, and it felt very personally directed. In retrospect I see the message more clearly. I for instance got up one night nervously researching before traveling to take the practice in India, and also ended up practicing which requires trust with much time. And not to forget, to leave AYP for now which needed a lot of trust :'). I seem to have trust issues when it comes to these spiritual practices, but as you are saying it requires hearty persistent trust. "I put all my cards in one basket" one could say, but a good meditation practice is worth anything to me!

Edited by - Wil on May 10 2024 10:52:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wil

Sweden
156 Posts

Posted - May 10 2024 :  10:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Btw, Interpaul. Please expland on this: " If we don't trust we may be "taxing... the subtle nervous system".

Go to Top of Page

th1996

Germany
33 Posts

Posted - May 11 2024 :  6:43:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would be interested in this system...is there any website?
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - May 13 2024 :  06:44:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I go with trust with a healthy dose of skepticism - that is also what Yogani recommends.
"The proof of the pudding is in the eating or something like that"

Sey

Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
540 Posts

Posted - May 13 2024 :  07:17:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wil, I certainly don't have all the answers regarding trust. I can report my trust for the AYP path has grown very strong after practicing for 5 years as Yogani's instructions and milestones have been spot on. The hard part early on was trusting in something prior to having experience with it. I had serious concerns the energetic practices could be addictive and this triggered a lot of fear in me given prior negative experiences with various attachments. There was something in Yogani's down to earth and practical style which gained my trust. Having him respond directly to some of my concerns a few years ago really helped me as well. I do see the value in his creating a stand alone teaching one can do and learn from the experience. I also realized there's a big difference trusting someone who tells you to concentrate on a mantra or bringing one's attention up and down the spine. Very different from placing a substance in your body and hoping for the best. With respect to how not trusting can tax the subtle nervous system, I see this as analogous to harmful effects that come from fear, distrust and other forms of stress. There is a lot of solid data now on how repeated stimulation of the autonomic nervous system causes harm by the repeated release of cortisol and epinephrine. The subtle nervous system is even more sensitive from my experience. The progress I have experienced on this journey comes from fully engaging in the practices.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - May 14 2024 :  06:10:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Trust is a beautiful thing indeed. I marvel and always feel so honored by those, to whom I introduce AYP, who trust me until they can feel the effect of the practices for themselves - sometimes for years on end.

Sey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000