Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 What is this?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2024 :  10:19:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Since several months, I have a reasonably stable practice. I do 5 minutes SBP, 15 minutes DM and 10 minutes rest. I still do not recognize much impact in daily life, but meditation itself often is calming and peaceful.

However, I do not understand this: Again and again, with a few weeks in between, there are things going on when I'm lying in my bed trying to fall asleep. It usually starts as some tingling in my left leg, coming up from my foot to my hip. It starts smooth and comes in waves. Each wave is stronger than the one before. It encroaches on the other leg and the waves keep getting stronger. Sometimes they're on the edge of beeing pleasant and hardly bearable. The tingling turns into an orgasmic-like feeling, still coming in strong waves. There are two possible ways then: When I have time, I wait until it subsides. It can take an hour or longer. When I prefer going to sleep, I masturbate. After ejaculation, it is gone.

What is this? I tend not to ejaculate too often and try to stick to the AYP rule of thumb that once a week should be okay. Usually, it is even less frequent. Can this play a role?

Could it be there is some energy blockage involved?

Christi

United Kingdom
4378 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2024 :  1:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato,

You are experiencing the activation of the energetic channels in the legs. They run from minor chakras in the soles of the feet up to the root chakra. They are very stable channels, and there is nothing to be concerned about. This is not caused by an energetic blockage, but rather by energetic blockages having been removed, allowing the free-flowing of prana in the legs.

Sometimes the ecstasy in the channels can be so strong that it is difficult to sleep. When this happens, one option is to simply remain awake and enjoy the ecstasy. You may find that you can manage quite easily with less sleep. If you find the flows of prana uncomfortable, or you find the lack of sleep difficult to deal with, then you can self-pace your practice downwards until you find a comfortable level where you are not being disturbed at night.
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2024 :  10:12:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

it goes like this for quite a while, years at least. The cleaning in the legs seems to take quite some time. Since there are several weeks in between those nights, I would rather not cut back practices. Can ejaculation (when necessary) be a could means to deal with it?

From time to time, I even think about scaling up practice time again. Considering your explanation, I take this nightly effect as being at a reasonably good edge of practice time right now, that should not be increased for the present. Does this make sense?

And thirdly: The less frequent I ejaculate, the more frequent those nightly episodes occur. How should this be taken into account when planning practices? Rather no ejaculation at all and less practice time, more frequent ejaculation and more practice time or something in between?

Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2024 :  6:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cato, I have had experiences similar to yours.I sense in your messages mixed feelings about this experience. I often wonder if prior to this experience how I would have responded if someone asked me what I'd think if I was given the gift of a prolonged orgasm that went on for an hour or more. I'd say "sign me up". The irony is I was initially excited about this development, then later became quite fearful. You can see a number of posts by me ~ 4 years ago on this topic.

Experiencing intense Shakti type energy without the balancing force of Shiva can be quite intoxicating but distracting. I sense in your comments above such as "I would rather not cut back" "I even think about scaling up practice time again" a hint as to the positive experience. Not sure if you are just trying to get more inner silence or are chasing after the ecstatic experiences more. Yogani does suggest too much ecstatic energy can be counterproductive and is a signal to self pace.

Having struggled to find the balance over the years I have continued with the stable practice routine and am gradually having an emerging inner silence which does seem to balance things out. It's worth a careful inventory of other things you do that may have stimulatory effects as you could self pace on them and increase the meditation time to continue to develop your inner silence. As an example I found self hypnosis very helpful in channeling the energy but it also increased the energy so I have to pay attention to limit certain practices so as not to overload.

It may be helpful to explore your relationship with pleasure. Can you see this as a real gift? As Christi says "one option is to simply remain awake and enjoy the ecstasy". He then wisely suggests if this is causing problems in your life then reducing the practices down makes sense. I'm reminded of a time when my daughter would wake up in the middle of the night. I had a lot of anxiety worrying about not getting enough sleep. Once I reframed it realizing this little child was scared and I was able to comfort her. Everyone at work understood when I was a little tired. Once I reduced the amount of energy I put in worrying about the meaning of the lost sleep rather than just experiencing it as it played out, things were much easier. If your life is out of balance with these practices you can reduce them.

The decision to release the energy through ejaculation can create conflict given your desire to follow Yogani's advice. I think this has to also be handled in the context of your age. If you are a young man the sexual energy is very strong and one week may be too long for you to hold out. If you ejaculate more frequently does your life feel in balance? Can you just place bramacharya on hold for now and see if you can work through this dilemma without that as a variable?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4378 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2024 :  04:24:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato,

You have received good advice from Interpaul.

I think you need to decide first of all if the energy you are experiencing in your legs is a problem or not? And if you think it is a problem, then why do you think it is a problem? If it is not a problem, then there is no need to take any action because of it. You can simply treat it as scenery on the path and carry on. If you do believe it is a problem, then you can self-pace your practices accordingly.

Ejaculation is not a particularly good way to reduce energy in the body, as it can leave the practitioner low on spiritual energy for days. If the sensations in your legs are an issue, then it is better to cut back on practices to find a stable level of practice that you can maintain over the long-term.

Just to clarify something that Interpaul wrote, it is not ecstasy in and of itself, that is an indicator to self-pace downwards. It is only if ecstasy is so strong that it is becoming a disturbance in meditation, making it difficult to come back to the mantra, that it would be an indicator to self-pace practices downwards. Or, if ecstasy has become an unhealthy addiction.
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2024 :  10:18:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks interpaul and Christi!

To answer your question, interpaul, my priority is inner silence. I am not after experiences of ecstasy at all. My former question pointed to the thought, that - as those nightly events don't happen too often but with weeks in between - it was worth scaling back practice time in order to reduce them. If time was scaled back, the development of inner silence was slowed down as well. I wouldn't like that too much since inner silence has a long time coming anyway. I would like to experiende inner silence in daily life and that is why I'm even thinking about increasing practice time, essentially DM, perhaps SBP and adding samyama. Those nightly episodes are the only reason that keep me from doing so. My history of overload was a good teacher.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4378 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2024 :  09:08:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato,

You may find this lesson useful:

Lesson 135 - Kundalini Currents in Legs and Arms

And also this lesson addition:

Addition 135.2 - Painful Kundalini Energy in Arms, Legs and Feet

Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2024 :  12:01:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI Cato,

You could take some Vitamin B Complex for a while, in case the tingling is due to vitamin B deficiency. It is more likely to happen if you are vegetarian. You should see the effect in about two weeks.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2024 :  11:53:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The first sign of my early conductivity was snake-like tingles in my legs. I was unsure for months if it truly was kundalini.

Edited by - Dogboy on Mar 29 2024 11:53:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2024 :  6:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, guys.

Taking Vitamin B is good advice - as I indeed mainly eat vegetarian or even vegan - and I have taken it up some time ago. So this should be fine.

I would like to add another question that is more general and probably has more than one answer: I take this nightly tingeling inmy legs and body as a hint not not increase practice time for now. How do you decide when to add new practices or increase practice time?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4378 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2024 :  8:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato,

You can increase practice timings, and the number of practices that you are doing, when you have been stable for some time and have the desire to do so. How much "some time" is will vary depending on the individual, but it is good to think in terms of weeks or months, rather than days.
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2024 :  9:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Christi. Would you agree not to increase practice time until those nightly episodes (with weeks in between) have subsided?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4378 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2024 :  12:22:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato,

Are you experiencing anything that is uncomfortable or painful that you believe could be practice related? If you are, then that would be an indication not to increase practices, but instead, would be an indication to self-pace downwards.

If you are not experiencing anything that is uncomfortable or painful that you believe could be practice related and have been stable for some time (weeks or months), then you could increase your practices if you wish to.
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2024 :  8:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Apart from what I described, I get kind of irritated for a few days occasionally. Again, with weeks in between.

Besides, there - rarely - occurs some sharp stabbing pain in the perineum which lasts for a second or two. It came to my mind that it might be practice related but I think it is not.

However, for both there is no real correlation to my practice since my practice has not changed for over a year now.

I'd like to dive more into stillness and would like to think that it might be okay to start increasing SBP and DM time.

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4378 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2024 :  6:21:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato,

If you think that the irritability is practice related, then that would be a sign of not being stable, so you would not fit the criteria for increasing practices. That would rather be a sign to continue as you are, or cut back slightly.

The fact that your practice has not changed for over a year does not mean that symptoms are not related to the practices. People can become more sensitive to practices over time, so a certain level of practice may be fine for someone at one moment, but the same level of practice could be too much for them a week, or a month later. So we always need to be ready to self-pace according to symptoms arising.
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2024 :  7:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How can you decide whether a symptom is practice related, particularly if it appears seemingly at random, with weeks in between?
(and also disappears the same way)
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4378 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2024 :  7:27:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato,

It is not always easy. But generally symptoms that are practice related will be reduced if you self-pace your practices downwards and increase grounding practices. If a symptom only appears every few weeks, then it would take several months to decide if it is practice related or not.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000