Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 The Magic and Power of Names
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2024 :  07:57:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
From "in the beginning was the Word" to all other scriptures and sacred texts from all over the world be them divine, demonic or esoteric, there are references to the power of names, of words.
Know the real name of something and you have power over the thing.

Is that fantasy or real? On the AYP spiritual path, I have had numerous hints of stuff revealed in arcane teachings but never of the power of Words/Names and mastery of same.

Except perhaps for the power of mantras. There are those "talking in tongues", which is supposed to be a language closer to God

I am curious (as I always am). Does anyone have information or experience of this? What is the relevance of Words/Names to creation? What proof do we have of this? Patanjali suggests some sutras with "magical powers". There is the Samyama effect but that is a long-term development of qualities and not a direct use of the power of a word.

I guess I am looking for some scientific context to it.

Sey

Edited by - SeySorciere on Mar 21 2024 08:02:09 AM

interpaul

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2024 :  12:24:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sey, You raise an interesting question. My personal experience on this comes from my connection with the mantras, sutras and hypnosis. Hypnosis, as I've shared previously, has offered me some insight on samyama. I continue to be struck by how powerful words used in these three practices shape my neurophysiology. Unfortunately the medical world has not spent a lot of time digging into this topic. If you want to end your career in science or medicine you just have to declare yourself interested in hypnosis. Times are changing and neuroscience is opening up more tools to dig deeper into the brain function. I just saw a clip this morning of the man who had Musks first neurolink implant. He thinks about the movement of a cursor on the screen and with attention/intention has learned to trigger the pathways that actually move his cursor purely by thoughts. This seems to be a neuro-corrolate of how a hypnotic trigger can affect behavioral changes.

On a deeper level this raises questions about your "in the beginning" question. It seems possible the energy behind all that is could create from a word. It's just hard for our simple brains to comprehend
Go to Top of Page

Deer

Indonesia
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2024 :  09:39:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Deer's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The power of words and names has arisen in my gnosis. Sometimes I am surprised at how obvious the meaning of a word is and realize that I never really saw it before, and then I see it for the first time and laugh. The pen is mightier than the sword :)
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2024 :  2:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My poetry here at AYP is simply for the words and their power when simplified and barren, and how spaces between words is what holds it all together in this yogis brain and Bhakti
Go to Top of Page

Gabereal

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2024 :  8:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I?ve often thought how a persons name shapes them in some way. It may be completely false and just a half baked idea. But I know I?m not the only whose thought before. Who knows if there?s any truth to it and if there is it still doesn?t matter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000