AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Children and AYP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jenniferad

47 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  10:23:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have questions regarding children and deep meditation. I read in the FAQ that it is recommended that children can begin deep meditation for 10 minutes twice a day when they are 12 or 13 years old. I have a 12 year old son, and I am planning to introduce the idea of meditation as something he could do, after he has seen me and his Dad do it for a while.

In the FAQ it also said they shouldn't do pranayama until they are 18 years old. Could anyone elxplain to me why they couldn't start earlier, like 16 or so?

Has anyone introduced meditation to their children and how did it go?

Are there any books for kids about yoga and meditation that anyone could recommend?

Thank you,
Jennifer

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  11:51:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jenniferad

In the FAQ it also said they shouldn't do pranayama until they are 18 years old. Could anyone elxplain to me why they couldn't start earlier, like 16 or so?

http://www.aypsite.org/256.html
At age 18, nadi shodana can be replaced with spinal breathing, inching the time up as appropriate, as discussed in the lessons. Advanced pranayama-related methods (including spinal breathing, kumbhaka, mudras, bandhas, chin pump, spinal bastrika, etc.) are for expanding the sexual function upward into higher manifestation in the nervous system, and that is why techniques beyond easy meditation and light nadi shodana should not be used until puberty is past. Spiritual transformation in the nervous system, expanding neuro-biological functioning to express divine ecstasy, is like a second puberty in many respects. One puberty at a time is enough! For some, taking on full practices may be best much later than 18 years old. For others sooner may be okay. Everyone is different, and you should use your best judgment in making suggestions on this. Once spinal breathing and meditation are progressive and stable, then going step by step through the full range of practices can be undertaken according to one's desire (bhakti) and capacity (self-pacing). This is the adult stage, of course.

I have introduced my daughters to meditation when they asked for it. They do really well when they do practice, but it is hard to keep up with practices with the busy schedule they have.
One of our other members, Rohini, runs yoga classes for children (teenagers), and she has introduced AYP deep meditation to the children in her class. From what I have heard, they love it. Maybe you can write to her and ask her about her experience with the kids. (Maybe she will write here too. ... here is her website: http://silentchakra.com/category/young-world/).

Go to Top of Page

jenniferad

47 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  7:45:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

quote:
Originally posted by jenniferad

http://www.aypsite.org/256.html
At age 18, nadi shodana can be replaced with spinal breathing, inching the time up as appropriate, as discussed in the lessons. Advanced pranayama-related methods (including spinal breathing, kumbhaka, mudras, bandhas, chin pump, spinal bastrika, etc.) are for expanding the sexual function upward into higher manifestation in the nervous system, and that is why techniques beyond easy meditation and light nadi shodana should not be used until puberty is past. Spiritual transformation in the nervous system, expanding neuro-biological functioning to express divine ecstasy, is like a second puberty in many respects. One puberty at a time is enough! For some, taking on full practices may be best much later than 18 years old. For others sooner may be okay. Everyone is different, and you should use your best judgment in making suggestions on this. Once spinal breathing and meditation are progressive and stable, then going step by step through the full range of practices can be undertaken according to one's desire (bhakti) and capacity (self-pacing). This is the adult stage, of course.

I have introduced my daughters to meditation when they asked for it. They do really well when they do practice, but it is hard to keep up with practices with the busy schedule they have.
One of our other members, Rohini, runs yoga classes for children (teenagers), and she has introduced AYP deep meditation to the children in her class. From what I have heard, they love it. Maybe you can write to her and ask her about her experience with the kids. (Maybe she will write here too. ... here is her website: http://silentchakra.com/category/young-world/).

Thank you, Shanti!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000