Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Meditation Inquiry
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stillpool

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  10:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all.

I have practiced various forms of meditation over the years, the most recent being NSR (a type of transcendental meditation) and shikantaza zazen. With the mantra I always feel like I'm pressing toward a goal, no matter how much I try to relax into the process. With zazen I settle down. Zazen really seems to work because I like the idea that there is nowhere to go, nothing to attain. And now I have stumbled (?) accross this amazing website and read the posts about meditating with the mantra I AM. Now I am itching to give mantra meditation a try again. But should I? Will it be just another road I travel for awhile, only to turn off and go back to "just sitting" zazen again later? Should I just stick to zazen if it works for me, or will Deep Meditation add something to my practice/life?

Thanks,
Stillpool

nodoubt

India
90 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  11:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A mantra is not going to bite you. Try it. You should study what Yogani says about method. You don't have a goal. You use the mantra to observe stillness and let the mantra become subtler and subtler, until you may realize a constant silent flow. It's a nice method.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  10:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stillpool and welcome to the AYP forums!

One of the benefits of using (especially) the "I am" mantra is that the vibration of "I am" resonates with a specific pathway in the nervous system and causes purification to happen there. This purification effect doesn't seem to be as pronounced with Zazen and some other meditation practices that don't use a mantra.

That said, it is important to be consistent with a meditation practice/style. Many of the benefits of a meditation practice come from being consistent with a single practice over an extended period of time. So, if you do decide to try AYP Deep Meditation it is probably a good idea to give it at least a solid 6 months of consistent practice in order to evaluate whether or not it is the style for you or not.

Hope this helps!

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Stillpool

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  1:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback...and the welcome.
One more question...if I have already received a mantra from NSR (which is a budget form of Transcendental Meditation) would it be a good idea to switch mantras or just favor that mantra over zazen? Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  2:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stillpool

I can't know the effectiveness of the NSR mantra, but I can assure you that the "I am" mantra is highly effective as is the Deep Meditation procedure as laid out by Yogani. Personally I would recommend that you give AYP DM and the "I am" mantra a solid 6 months of consistent daily practice in order to evaluate it's efficacy for you, but then again, I'm probably highly biased.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  10:16:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Whether it is AYP or Zazen, Sticking to one practice is very important. You might not know but progress will be happening internally.

Jumping practices too often puts you at a disadvantage in my view.
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  4:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stillpool,
The roots of Shikan Taza are some Tantrist meditations that used no object of meditation either. It's not necessary to jump techniques only to get (or get rid of) that object. But, independent of the school, an object of meditation is very useful during the first few years. The AYP flavor of Tantra is streamlined to work for many practitioners in the long run.

Meditation is all about practice, a lengthy catalog of techniques probably wouldn't make it much better IMO.
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2011 :  04:18:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Stillpool and do go through the lessons on the main page. God bless.

Love n Light
Viji
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000