Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Scientology anyone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  8:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hari Om
~~~~~~~

Hello folks,
can anyone outline the key principles of this practice? I have seen it for years, visited a Scientology office yet could not articulate thier techniques ( other then getting clear I think). Any one an X-scientologist? just wondered if enlightenment is the goal, or just a more balanced life, etc etc.

[Read several of Mr. Hubbard's sci-fi books, but that is about the extent of my knowledge on this] ...oh, I forgot, I also seen some of Tom Cruse's movies if that counts ((()))

agnir satyam rtam brhat
Frank in San-Diego

Edited by - Frank-in-SanDiego on Mar 29 2006 8:44:46 PM

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  11:35:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Frank,

I think Scientology is at its best more like extremely expensive psychotherapy rather than a spiritual practice.

However, if you are thinking of getting closer to the group, search on 'Scientology' on Google and make sure you don't just look at the official site. For example, look at

http://www.xenu.net/

-David
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  08:05:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I think David is right. I used to have a friend who was a scientologist,
and he was "clear" with some other certifications. He wasn't spiritual at all, but he was well adjusted to life. I think that's what it does.

They use these machines that measure electrical conductivity I think. You hold onto a tin-can-like electrode in each hand, and the machine has
a meter on it. As the operator talks to you and asks questions, the meter
movement shows what emotional reaction you have. if your hands sweat a little, electricity conducts more.
So the whole idea of becoming "clear" is that you have no reaction to any subject. Personally I think it can be a very valid method of straightening out certain mental problems, but there are many other methods, and this one has been blown way out of proportion as to what it can do, and how your life changes, and what it costs, etc. Gee, where have we heard that before?
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  8:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~~
quote:
Originally posted by david_obsidian

However, if you are thinking of getting closer to the group,

Thanks David/all for your info. I have no plans to get much involved with Scientology, just wondered if it was effective.
I can't tell by the people that profess the approach if its a
spiritual orientation, never sat down with a Scientologist and
really had a conversation with them, so I cannot pre-judge.
Big in Hollywood~ but so is divorce!!!

agnir satyam rtam brhat
Frank in San-Diego
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  9:01:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Big in Hollywood~ but so is divorce!!!

Well yes, Hollywood has more people who can afford extremely expensive psychotherapy.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  07:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't normal psychotherapy extremely expensive?
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  9:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My long time dentist is a scientologist and one of the genuinely nicest people that I know. I encouraged him to explore yoga and he did take some classes. When he showed me some scienology literature I have to confess that I said that I wasn't interested and the literature stopped. I don't know if scientology has helped him or if he has always been a very high caliber individual but I can ask him a bit about it if you are still interested. While I do not find scientology appealing I do trust my dentist a great deal
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  9:31:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ether said:
Isn't normal psychotherapy extremely expensive?

No, not in comparison to Scientology clearing sessions (I think that is what they are called).

They start off cheaper, and then get more expensive, maybe $10,000 per session for some sessions. I call that extremely expensive!

There's a layer/level system in the Church. You have to fork out more and more money to get to the higher levels.

Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  9:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Franks said:
I have no plans to get much involved with Scientology, just wondered if it was effective.

It uses the elements of 'regression psychotherapy' but packages them in a very strange way with a very special jargon. What are normally called 'traumas' are called 'engrams' by the Scientologists. As you pay your way more and more into higher and more expensive levels of treatment, you learn more about what put those engrams there. According to the Church, the evil inter-galactic wizard Xenu is involved. I kid you not.

Now, if I continue I am in danger of being seen as a minion of Xenu, out to destroy the Church.
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  01:01:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
David, I'm just cracking up as I read this. You are so funny sometimes.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  01:42:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks David, this is hilarious. . .
wikipedia:
In Scientology doctrine, Xenu (also Xemu) is a galactic ruler (of the "Galactic Confederacy") who, 75 million years ago, brought billions of people to Earth, stacked them around volcanoes and blew them up with hydrogen bombs. Their souls then clustered together and stuck to the bodies of the living, and continue to cause problems today. These events are known to Scientologists as "Incident II", and the traumatic memories associated with them as The Wall of Fire or the R6 implant. The story of Xenu is part of a much wider range of Scientology beliefs in extraterrestrial civilizations and alien interventions in Earthly events, collectively described as space opera by L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology.

Remember recently Tom Cruise on a talk show calling psychiatry a "pseudo-science"?

Edited by - Etherfish on Apr 01 2006 01:47:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  11:08:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI Folks
Hubard was originally a member of Crowley's OTO and a friend of Jack Parsons. Whilst staying with Parsons he allegedly stole Parsons money, Parsons wife, and Parsons Yacht he then embarked on his cruise around the world writing his novels and inventing Scientology the OTO claimed that he only joined to steal their secrets and use them in Scientology. There's much more but we will leave it at that for now.

Richard

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  12:11:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
XEMPOO

See if I care

RICHARD I think

PS this post should be after Davids I don't know what happened Xenpoo must have done it

Edited by - Richard on Apr 01 2006 12:15:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  12:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In Scientology doctrine, Xenu (also Xemu) is a galactic ruler

I'm nervous -- we earthlings really should start getting this guy's name right, whatever that is. It can really tick people off if you don't get their name right. I really would sleep better if we were more careful to stay on the right side of Xenu/Xemu --- this time.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  5:07:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had no idea about their connection with OTO. i used to be good friends with the guy in Newport Beach who started the OTO chapter there:

http://members.cox.net/heru-ra-ha/index.htm

I got initiated, but never quite understood what it was about. Lots of numbers and rituals and reading. . .
Small world, huh?

Edited by - Etherfish on Apr 01 2006 5:13:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  5:55:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ether
The OTO is very fragmented now. All this info comes from Grants Typhonian OTO he was Crowleys apprentice at the time of Crowleys death.

Grants OTO is probably the nearest thing to what we do. No ritual just a very unusual form of Tantra.

If you want to create a new topic under other forms of spiritual practice we can discuss it but it wanders too much from topic here.

RICHARD

Edited by - Richard on Apr 01 2006 5:56:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  9:19:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, Grants Typhonian would call it fragmented, as he is considered separate from the main OTO in the US. He was "thrown out" at one time.

If you check out:
http://oto-usa.org/
there are 42 chapters all over the US, and several thousand members.
If you google the guy I knew, "Lon Milo DuQuette", you get 59,000 returns, and he has 21 books and a couple DVD's on Amazon.
However, I don't think his practices are at all like ours.
They are associated with some spiritual thing in London though, and they have an address where you can write for free instruction.

Edited by - Etherfish on Apr 01 2006 9:27:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  08:17:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ether

I have loads of stuff on Crowley, Grant, and the OTO but I prefer to keep away from it, its all made so complex and the numerology sends me into information overload. I was into all that before AYP but not now. Merely thinking about it has had a detrimental effect on my meditation my brain is now churning up all that info thats irrelevant to our lovely simple system, so for the minute I'm shuting up about it

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  08:59:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I've always felt it was too complex for me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000