Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 med.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  1:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
There are days I struggle to meditate and then get little out of med when I do. Other days, like today, I feel a need to do one more med on top of the regular two. I know Yogani suggests not giving in to this impluse either and to stay with two. But I was wondering if once and awhile it would be okay? Further, if I med earlier sometimes, instead of waiting till before dinner, maybe I'll get a leg up on the day? I do feel some positive changes in my life most days, but there are still times when the 'buried monster' instinctively comes to life in certain situations and then I think I've gotten nowhere. I guess it's all part of the process... I'd also like to take the time once again to thank everone for the advice I get here. It's invaluable.

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  5:24:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One more thing to add. After about a year of meditating I noticed the same thing over and over; whenever I do a body scan I notice my shoulders have automatically tensed up and raised up a bit. Sometimes the tightness is extreme but I don't even notice it till I look for it. I guess have a lot of 'stored' negative energy in me (if stored is the right word?)
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  6:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is better to not do an extra meditation, but it won't be catastrophic if you just have to try it sometimes.

I have the shoulder tension also, and it is common. It's a good thing you are noticing it, because a lot of people have it without knowing. It could be stored energy or emotions, or it could be a bad habit, because you are bracing for tension that you expect. Just relax your shoulders whenever you notice the tension.
Shoulder opening exercise is also good, like laying on a foam roller that lets your shoulders fall lower than your spine. I suspect that so many people hunch their shoulders that it may contribute to older people having the hunched over posture. I don't know if that's true.
Go to Top of Page

Yaming

Switzerland
112 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  8:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Imaher22,
I had the same desire as you. So I just did it and after I did it once, the desire desapeared. Worst that could happen is an overlaod, and than you just self-pace. Remember it is your own journey, people can only give suggestions, the rest is up to you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000