Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Tension during meditation and position
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wisya

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  11:10:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Yogani and thank you so, so much for this amazing resource. I have been studying Kriya Yoga and the works of Yogananda since last year and came to a sort of crossroads. Some things were hitting a chord yet some others were not resonating at all. What you have supplied here is exactly the answers I've been looking for but failing to get. However, I've been getting pretty good results with Hong Sau meditation but have now reached a plateau. Before going down this route, I did practice mantra meditation for a long time and if the truth be known, had slightly better results.

Kriya seems to be controlled by organised sectors and entry follows a rigid system. I don't believe this information was ever designed to be hidden from people as surely it was created to advance the consciousness of the human race? Things were very different a few thousand years ago but now we've entered the information age, I think the teachings should be able to be accessed by all and also protected at the same time. So I think we owe an enormous debt to the work of Yogani.

OK, to my question. When meditating, my sessions always come to a halt at the 40min stage. I would like to continue deeper into my practice, but after maybe 35min in, I start to feel a slow building of tension throughout my body. This slowly builds until sometimes I feel like I'm going to explode so have no choice but to come out of meditation.

Can someone please tell me what is happening here and how can I break through this barrier?

The second question is to do with position. I've always used the Perfect Pose and feels very natural to me. I have always believed (or been taught) that you should never use back support but learn to sit upright in a good position but unsupported. Doesn't this go a little against most other teaching? Can someone please clarify this a little?
PS Back support would be soooooooo nice!

Thanks Everyone

wisya

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  1:12:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to clarify my above post I sit in the perfect posture without sitting on my heal.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  2:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum wisya,
Of course I'm not Yogani; this is a forum for everyone interested in the AYP writings and system.
We don't specifically support Yogananda's system here, but I used to follow it also.
At AYP we just meditate 15 or 20 minutes twice a day. It is more productive for me than the really long meditation times, and we are allowed to use back support!
If you insist on no support, the best method is to use a buckwheat "zafu" meditation cushion you can find on ebay. It is small so that you sit on it and let your knees hang down lower than your butt. This creates the proper curve in your lower back so you can sit for long periods with no pain or tension. It comes from buddhist
tradition where they sit for long periods too.

AYP mantra meditation helped me get past the plateau I had with yogananda kriya, and I just sit on the couch!
I was turned off by some of the people in discussion forums who wouldn't let me discuss anything except yogananda, in fact kicked me off for it. Nothing against Yogananda at all though I still think he is a great teacher and admire his efforts to bridge between the east and west, and it very well could be the best thing for many other people.
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  5:47:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wisya,

I'm not going to speak for what various traditions may or may not say. I can say that from my own experience I have found that being able to achieve a certain degree of physical relaxation during meditation has been very important. After having practiced meditation with back support for the past 2 years or so, I can say that I would never choose to practice unsupported again unless I had no other option. Does this fly in the face of many established traditions? Sure it does. I'm okay with that. :)
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  06:11:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by wisya
Kriya seems to be controlled by organised sectors and entry follows a rigid system. I don't believe this information was ever designed to be hidden from people as surely it was created to advance the consciousness of the human race?

Kriya Yoga is a highly advanced system. Some of its techniques/practices can even be related to esoteric/occult level and can not be learned just by reading books. There is no match to it if one is initiated by an advanced Kriya Yogi and is backed by him/her.

Go to Top of Page

wisya

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  02:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input.
Wisya
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  03:08:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
40 minutes of meditation is too too much that is why u feel like exploding...are u really meditating or u think u are?
using back support or not is just a detail...do whatever makes u feel confortable
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  11:25:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wisya,
Use back support.If you are uncomfortable without back support then it is counterproductive.Meditation is meant to be pleasant, not a nightmare.
40 minutes may be too much for you so reduce the time.For others it may be ok, I meditate for at least 1 hr daily with no problems but we are all different.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  12:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by wisya

OK, to my question. When meditating, my sessions always come to a halt at the 40min stage. I would like to continue deeper into my practice, but after maybe 35min in, I start to feel a slow building of tension throughout my body. This slowly builds until sometimes I feel like I'm going to explode so have no choice but to come out of meditation.

Hi wisya, and welcome!

AYP deep meditation sittings are recommended to be 20 minutes twice daily, assuming this is comfortable. If there is discomfort, "self-pacing" to a shorter time may be necessary. This form of meditation is much more powerful than other forms that typically involve longer sittings. So be mindful about that.

The likely reason you are having difficulties (buildup of tension, etc.) is because you are meditating too long. It is also important to take adequate rest before getting up after meditation, so we can make a smooth transition back into daily activity. All of this is covered in the AYP lessons and Deep Meditation book.

And yes, sit comfortably with back support as desired, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

wisya

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  12:56:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sessions now reduced to 20min and perfecto! Back support is now also perfect combined with my zafu. What a resource this place is. I think I will be spending some time here...

Thanks again everyone

Wisya
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000