Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Smell of Smoke
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Navjot

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  01:30:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I am new to this website. I came across Advanced Yoga Book Vol. 1 by accident and am currently reading AYP Volume 2. I started practicing AYP meditation since November '10. My life has totally changed for the better. I have been experiencing deep inner silence and a strong bhakti. But for the past two weeks I have been noticing the smell of smoke during meditation; neither my husband nor I smoke. Furthermore, since yesterday, the smell of smoke has been present all day long, even at work. The smell was so strong that it even hurt my nose. Has any of you had the same experience? I wonder if it is related to my meditation.

Thanks,
Navjot

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  09:02:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the AYP forums, Navjot.

Purification can show up in any form .. including smell of smoke (I used to smell rotten garbage for a while).

As we continue with meditation and pranayama, we will be clearing out our system, that includes the sinuses. At times, we have a lot of junk stored up in our sinuses, and as we continue with our practices, the stuff stored up will clear out. In a way it is a sinus infection. But not necessarily the kind that you will need to get on medication for. If it continues and it is bothersome, you can get it checked. But these generally go away by themselves. It may linger on for a bit though.

The other suggestion is to try jala neti. http://www.aypsite.org/313.html
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  10:05:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a pretty normal experience. I think its related with higher realms of existence also.Spiritual practices put us in close contact with that subtle dimensions and we can experience many different things like pleasant smells, lights,voices...etc.
Its related with purification also, of course.

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  11:26:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think we often identify many odors as smoke because it had an instinctual meaning; to run from fire. I have noticed that many times when I thought I smelled smoke, it was actually something else, usually food or body odor when investigated closer.
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  6:33:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I have had this, and still do, it comes for a few minutes and then goes, doesn't happen often but it does happen sometimes, I think this is normal, as Shanti says a purification thing. It may linger for a while and then disappear, no need to worry.

There was a period where I smelled the smell of a reptile or snake, all of a sudden and it was sometimes where there could not be the real thing like in a building that is well kept, and I asked my friend once if he smelled? he did not.

Purification can take many forms, but it always passes, and more quickley and smoothly if you let it be

Keep at it
Go to Top of Page

Navjot

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  10:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Shanti, Miguel, Etherfish, and Yonatan for your prompt responses! My goal is continue strong with my Pranayama and Meditation.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  10:36:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't be surprised if there are more strange things happening. You kind of get used to the unusual after a while. I am taking an extreme stretching class, and after the first one my sense of smell was heightened. I smelled wood smoke on the way home and I thought it was the most incredible thing I have ever experienced.
Go to Top of Page

Navjot

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  7:29:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is true, strange things have been happening such as itching in the ears at nigh and sparkles of light at random times; however, it did not occur to me until now that perhaps the red patches that I have been experiencing on my back and upper legs might also be related to my meditation. I started noticing them about two months ago, there is no itching involved though. On the other hand, I am so blessed to have found AYP Lesson...
Go to Top of Page

davidg

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  04:14:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i can relate to smelling smoke, cigerete smoke and im a non-smoker, and i find your comments above fasinating thank you
Go to Top of Page

WoodDragon

USA
56 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  07:23:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit WoodDragon's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Keep an eye on your symptoms as you progress with your purification, I would recommend keeping a journal so that it will be easier to track. Journals are a wonderful tool in any path and when we are beginning to notice things happening we can track them in our journals. This way if we need to know how long something has been going on, we look at our journal and the exact date is there! I keep several journals, one for purification symptoms, one for dreams, one for any visions or inspirations I get while mediating.
Go to Top of Page

Navjot

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  7:15:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I will start my journals today... Thank you for the advice!
Go to Top of Page

Carrie

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  12:11:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I'm a non smoker and I've had the unpleasant smoke smell on and off for a number of years. It comes with burning nose and coughing sometimes because it's so strong. Thanks for the feedback on this.
Go to Top of Page

Voyager

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  11:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This forum is great to hear experiences of others and compare them to your own.

Tonight I had an interesting meditation. Waves of well, very nice energy (very nice indeed) going up my back accompanied by a smell I've never smelled before which lasted about a minute. I can't describe the smell as it was so strange - not nasty, just strange.
The problem was, when I started focusing on the waves of energy, it all went away :-(
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  08:46:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

The problem was, when I started focusing on the waves of energy, it all went away :-(

We all do that... so don't worry... it is not a one time thing it will come back... provided ofcourse we are not waiting for it to show up...

Lovely experience. Thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  5:04:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if you are like me, but i tend to think cigarette smoke whenever I smell the slightest burning of any kind, then later change my assessment. When I burn toast (on purpose) and forget about it, I think cigarette smoke and then remember the toast. I lit incense and forgot, went outside for a while. When I came back in I thought "cigarette smoke", then recognized the incense, and many more. I'm a non smoker too; I imagine it is because cigarette smoke has emotion connected to it since i don't like it? not many smells have emotion connected to them.
I read that odors are the hardest sense for people to agree on, when identifying, and consequently they are the most likely sense to bring up old memories.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000